Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Zip The Grand

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 John E

John E

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Zip Line across the Grand River near the Blue Bridge with a rope course could be coming soon.
http://fox17online.c.../#axzz2JKODFLra

#2 John E

John E

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Their Facebook page is:
http://www.facebook.com/parkerbrey

#3 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

This sounds pretty cool.

#4 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Interesting idea. I think a rope course over the river would be ugly and would ruin the skyline shots from across the river.

Edited by SupercityGR, 29 January 2013 - 08:53 AM.

• gvsusean likes this

#5 John E

John E

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

The rope course will not go over the river.

#6 gvsusean

gvsusean

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I hope its not over the grand.. It would be cool if it was an urban zipline course in that people would zipline from one building to the next around DT.

#7 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Sounds to me like it's going over the river.

What We Do

Now in its second year of development, Zip the Grand will bring an exciting addition to downtown Grand Rapids, MIchigan.  Reaching 700' across the historic Grand River, we will deliver the first zip line across a major waterway in the State of Michigan.  In addition to the amazing thrill ride that allows riders to glide across a total of 1400' over the Grand River while viewing the amazing downtown architecture, riders will have the ability to test their skill and coordination while climbing high atop the five-story ropes/challenge course.  Ninety to one hundred people can enjoy the structure that will safely insure a great adventure for thrill seekers of all ages.  With the patented technology of Ropes Courses, Inc., we can provide the same state of the art technology that families are enjoying at locations including the Mall of America in Minneapolis as well as Disney, Shanghai

Edited by RegalTDP, 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#8 organsnyder

organsnyder

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Reaching 700' across the historic Grand River

Good to know our river isn't one of those copycat newfangled rivers that have sprung up in recent years...

This sounds like a great flash-in-the-pan idea. As a condition of approval, the city should require that the builders put down a deposit that will take care of dismantling the zip line when (not if) it goes bust.

#9 Paramaribo

Paramaribo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Beer tourism + Zip line = yippieeeeeee!!!!

• Veloise likes this

#10 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Sounds like its gonna go the way of the dinos after a couple years. Then become an eye sore for the pubic.

#11 John E

John E

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

The zip line will go across the river but the rope course will not. The rope course will be on one side of the river.

I'm sure this will last for years and will continue to bring people downtown.

#12 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Good to know our river isn't one of those copycat newfangled rivers that have sprung up in recent years...

This sounds like a great flash-in-the-pan idea. As a condition of approval, the city should require that the builders put down a deposit that will take care of dismantling the zip line when (not if) it goes bust.

I think that's a good idea. Plus require them to make regular maintenance to the structures, even in the off-season (repaint, repair broken pieces), not cover the towers with giant tarps or plastic in the off season (yuck). Plus, they'd have to ensure that people didn't climb on the structure at night and in the off-season. A lot of things to take into consideration.

#13 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

The zip line will go across the river but the rope course will not. The rope course will be on one side of the river.

I'm sure this will last for years and will continue to bring people downtown.

Oh right, thanks.  Sorry I was confused. :good:

#14 crinzema

crinzema

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't think this zip line will be very successful. When do you staff the zip line? Would you staff the zip line all day including weekdays? The only possible time it would bring people downtown would be during the weekends. Not very many people visit downtown during the weekends to start off. I'll say this zip line will go bust 2-3 years after it's built. I love the idea, I'll ride the thing at least once, but this ain't no Cedar Point attraction. 

#15 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I don't think this zip line will be very successful. When do you staff the zip line? Would you staff the zip line all day including weekdays? The only possible time it would bring people downtown would be during the weekends. Not very many people visit downtown during the weekends to start off. I'll say this zip line will go bust 2-3 years after it's built. I love the idea, I'll ride the thing at least once, but this ain't no Cedar Point attraction. 

Is it the city's job to ask what a good or bad business idea is? I don't think so.

#16 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Agreed! 

Is it the city's job to ask what a good or bad business idea is? I don't think so.

#17 Jippy

Jippy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Not sure if I like the idea in the heart of downtown. Maybe a bit further south apart of the park system. While the concept is cool, it would look fairly tacky next to expensive towers. . 

#18 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if I like the idea in the heart of downtown. Maybe a bit further south apart of the park system. While the concept is cool, it would look fairly tacky next to expensive towers. . 

I don't know why they didn't stick with the original location, just North of the I-196 bridges? There's DDA land on the East bank that is not being used, and the park near the fish ladder on the other side underutilized. Parking by the fish ladder for school groups. Sure, it wouldn't be a scenic as right downtown, but you'd get a great view of the dam and fishermen (people). Or maybe the anglers thought it would be disruptive?

#19 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I hope they have good security procedures.  Otherwise, some drunken douchebag at 3:00 AM is going to break his neck / drown and spoil the fun for everyone.  Remember the WLAV river raft event?

That being said, I don't want to sound like a negative nelly.  I think it sounds like a fun thing.

#20 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I don't know why they didn't stick with the original location, just North of the I-196 bridges? There's DDA land on the East bank that is not being used, and the park near the fish ladder on the other side underutilized. Parking by the fish ladder for school groups. Sure, it wouldn't be a scenic as right downtown, but you'd get a great view of the dam and fishermen (people). Or maybe the anglers thought it would be disruptive?

I like that location better too.  Also, zipping alongside the freeway traffic would be cool.

MLive addressed it, though it's incomplete:

Previous plans would have located the zipline just north of the I-196 (Gerald R. Ford Freeway) bridge, but Brey said the sale of the former Grand Rapids Press headquarters building to Michigan State University, and the parking lot properties that went with it, threw a wrench in those plans last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users