-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Michigan Central Station PART I of IV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#1 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:57 AM

Posted Image
Located on Detroit's west side, Michigan Central Station was built in 1913. It has now sat abandoned for over two decades open to the elements. I feel it's important that these pictures are posted, to show everyone how necessary it is that this building gets renovated. I encourage you to view other photos of MCS taken only a few years ago and compare the damage over those years. The purpose of visiting this site was not to explore the station, but document it so that it will always be preserved in images. The Madison Lennox demolition proved that even the law cannot prevent Detroit's most historical structures from dissapearing at any given time. Hopefully this one won't be next.

I hope you enjoy this 4 part tour as much as we did visiting the station. I met up with Allan and he showed me around the place. Thanks for the tour! Anyway, here are the photos I took.

Posted Image
Front of the building

Posted Image
Major detail on the office tower.

Posted Image
Back of the station.

Posted Image
The inside tour will start from the basement on up. So here is the basement elevator lobby.

Posted Image
The basement was very disorienting. There were lots of hallways and tunnels that we didn't even go down since they seemed to go on forever.

Posted Image
A zoomed out shot of that hallway.

Posted Image
Some areas had light coming in from holes in the ceiling.

Posted Image
I think I'll turn around here.

Posted Image
So there's a tunnel that goes somewhere.

Posted Image
And this room took us nowhere, unless you have a boat.

Posted Image
The basment extends out the back, so there are some windows.

Posted Image
Connected to the back of the building is this parking garage. The tracks run above it. The camera didn't show the depth of it very well, so I'm not sure how far it goes back.

Posted Image
Apparently there are more Liltons in Michigan than just one.

Posted Image
And now we're on the first floor, entering near the restaurant.

Posted Image
Paneled waiting room (Women's waiting room?)

Posted Image
The restaurant oesn't look very appetizing, but the vaulting was architecturally fullfilling.

Posted Image
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the steel was added to prevent the arches from spreading under lateral force.

Posted Image
Large windows

Posted Image
Broken roof of the waiting room. I'm not sure if that is what it actually was, so I'll refer to it as the 2nd room since it's at the back of the station. The first room, being that grand entry area.

Posted Image
Passanger dropoff area for motor vehicles.

Posted Image
Which then leads into the 2nd room.

Posted Image
Looking through the station from the rampway to the platforms

Posted Image
2nd room

Posted Image
The sun finally shined in for a brief moment illuminating the brickwork.

STAY TUNED FOR PART II!!
I'm still researching this building, so if anybody has some valuable info, feel free to post it.

#2 ironchapman

ironchapman

City

• Members+
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:03 AM

Wow...that's depressing what's happened to it.

I hope it'll one day get fixed.

Best of luck in your research.

I'm not from the area, so what is the station for?

#3 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:05 AM

It was Detroit's major train station. The last owner that used it was Amtrak. There are proposals for it, but I doubt any of them will happen.

#4 ironchapman

ironchapman

City

• Members+
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:09 AM

Maybe it could be declared a historic place...ar has that happened?

Maybe one of the proposals will pass.

I wish I could help, but I don't live anywhere near Detroit....I live in Douglasvill, GA, to be exact.

Look forward to the rest of the series.

#5 Allan

Allan

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

Nice photos. I still need to photograph the public rooms on a sunny day. The sun doesn't like to cooperate with me. LOL.

The "second room" is the concourse.

#6 SNWEB

SNWEB

Swoon

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

The concourse roof was a skylight, and the vaulted ceiling in the restaurant had that steel in it because it later had a drop ceiling.

Good pics

#7 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:16 PM

the vaulted ceiling in the restaurant had that steel in it because it later had a drop ceiling.

Good pics

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh okay, I thought that was likely a reason too. Might as well keep it in anyway for the time being, since things are beginning to fall apart.

#8 SNWEB

SNWEB

Swoon

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

Who wouldn't wanna dine in this!
http://technotourist...-restaurant.jpg

#9 Zissou

Zissou

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

That is a great picture! It would have been real cool to have seen this building back in its heyday. I know its unlikely but hopefully someday we will be able to see this building functional again.

#10 rbdetsport

rbdetsport

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

I was on the freeway today going to my baseball games and I was looking at the station. I thought about it and it was so sad that I could see right through it. I asked my dad if he ever used the station and he told me his story. He was a kid going to Downers Grove with his family. He told me that the station was just like Union Station in downtown Chicago. Maybe even better. He remembered the platforms and many things about it. Of course, that was when Detroit was actually, in no better words than "GOOD."

#11 SNWEB

SNWEB

Swoon

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

MCS has the same look as NY Central Station, designed by the same architects

#12 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

A few years ago when I spent my summer in Manhattan, I used to eat lunch every weekday in the food court at Grand Central Station. (prices were reasonable there) The eating areas do have so many similarities. The marble is almost (or might) even be the same since they were done by the same guy.

MCS is brighter though, probably because it's more trasparent nowadays.

EDIT: i hope you guys don't mind a wait on the other three parts. I've been busy with work and stuff, but I have a few days off next week.

Edited by wolverine, 28 May 2005 - 09:40 PM.

#13 Zissou

Zissou

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

Take your time. Youve given us enough to quench our thirst for the time being.

#14 Michi

Michi

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

Awesome tour, man!

#15 mn_body_detroit_hrt

mn_body_detroit_hrt

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

These pics are great, I am SUPER excited to see all the rest. THANKS FOR POSTING THEM!!!

Side note: I havent really ever seen pics from the back...whats going on back there?

#16 mn_body_detroit_hrt

mn_body_detroit_hrt

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

entry #2:

I had thought this building was nominated in the 70's??? Not that it does much good down there?! (M/L)

Again...thanks for the pics.

#17 MrCoffee

MrCoffee

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

Maybe this might sound silly, but Detroit used to have commuter rail at one time. It would go back and forth to Ann Arbor. Why can't the Department of Transportation start putting money back into commuter rail that would include Flint, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, and Jackson? Then, have Michigan Central Station serve as a hub. Develop the upper floors into condominiums or other mixed use, and restore the restaurant to its former glory. The people who live there wouldn't necessarily need their cars to get some place besides downtown and the people mover. Well, it's just a thought but gas is getting expensive, eh?

MrCoffee

#18 dnast

dnast

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

Even though I hate paying these prices, the rise in gas costs might be the biggest help in getting Detroit and the rest of the state to consider rail.

#19 rbdetsport

rbdetsport

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

So are you asking for heavy or light rail?

#20 dnast

dnast

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

Heavy would be nice, but the chances of that are exponential to the chances of getting light rail. Besides, I don't think there would be enough riders initially to warrant that. In 1950, it would've been perfect.