Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

will la ever become larger than Chicago or NY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 catdaddy

catdaddy

Swoon

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:54 PM

LA used to be number one in the country back in the 60s early 70s. do you think LA will reign again

#2 Jaybee

Jaybee

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

LA is the largest City in the United States: see the official MSA census numbers from 2000 here.

This doesn't even count Orange County and the Inland Empire (San Bernardino and Riverside areas), which puts LA way over the population of other US cities.

Edited by Jaybee, 05 July 2005 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Los Angeles has 3.7 million people. New York has 8 million people. LA won't outgrow New York for some time. If comparing the metro populations, however, it is only a matter of time before LA outgrows NYC's metro area. It really depends on what numbers you look at.

#4 Showtime24

Showtime24

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

LA is bigger than chicago its just chicago has more density

#5 ZachariahDaMan

ZachariahDaMan

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

I doubt L.A. or anyone for that matter will outgrow New York City.

#6 orulz

orulz

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:52 PM

This doesn't even count Orange County and the Inland Empire (San Bernardino and Riverside areas), which puts LA way over the population of other US cities.

If you're going to start counting surrounding MSAs for LA, you need to start counting the surrounding MSAs for other cities as well.

You can toss Nassau/Suffolk, NY; Newark, Jersey City, Bergen, and Monmouth NJ plus Stamford and New Haven CT in there for New York.

When it's a fair comparison, I think you'll find that New York is still overwhelmingly the largest metro area in the U.S.

#7 ZachariahDaMan

ZachariahDaMan

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:54 PM

I agree, NYC is easily the biggest metro in the nation.

#8 OE-305

OE-305

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

I agree, NYC is easily the biggest metro in the nation.

Not for long, not for long.... :)

#9 Unifour

Unifour

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:09 AM

I am not sure where some of the information came from, but Los Angeles is not the largest city in the nation. Los Angeles has 3.9 million people, New York has 8.1 million. Los Angeles has never been the largest city in the nation. In the beginning, Boston was largest, then Philadelphia, and finally New York, where it has remained ever since. LA is slightly larger in land area, but city size is determined by population. New York is listed as the largest, on all lists. LA's growth has been slowing rapidly as well, while New York's is accelerating, so you can't predict the future. Most likely NY will remain the largest. LA has been larger than Chicago since the mid 1980's however.

Edited by Unifour, 20 October 2005 - 02:16 AM.

#10 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

I see NYC staying the largest city in the U.S. for quite some time...
But I think the L.A. metro will pass the New York metro within the next few years.

#11 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

LA is bigger than chicago its just chicago has more density

Actually LA has the densest urbanized area in the United States at 7,068 persons per square mile. While certain parts of New York and Chicago may be denser; LA maintains a density throughout the suburbs of which the others do not.

#12 Metroinspect.

Metroinspect.

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

well the i think La will grow larger, but the skyline will never compare with Chicago or New York

#13 DetroitBazaar

DetroitBazaar

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:37 AM

Last I drove from roughly Palm Springs through Santa Barbars and it was nothing but subburbs and city. I had to stop off in Hollywood for 3 hours just to "beat" the traffic- not something I'd do again since even at midnight the traffic was so bad I nearly lost it. I was travelling from Phoenix. It was well over 110 miles of contiguous sprawl. Chicago as a city has higher urbandensity and you can travel for a good hour and change through its environs if traffic isn't heavy east to west- not including the stretch from Gary. From the south up toward the Wisconsin border take a similar time in my experiences. Chicago as a city is suffering a massive population loss and unfortunately can't compete with the "newer" sunny areas of the southwest just like many of the other urban areas in the midwest. Still 8 or so million is quite large, but I can't see LA- til they run out of water stopping the growth. BTW, this was in 2000. I guess the term city is being used loosely here. I also spend quite a bit of time in Orange county, but don't you dare call that part of LA, lol- the locals I know don't like it a bit.

Peace from DetroitBazaar

#14 monsoon

monsoon

Gigalopolis

• Members+
  • 19,737 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

Chicago is 1/2 the size of Los Angeles. It's not in the same league as NY or LA.

#15 FSUViking9

FSUViking9

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

Chicago is 1/2 the size of Los Angeles. It's not in the same league as NY or LA.

Maybe not population wise, but only a complete fool would say that Chicago isn't in the same league as L.A. or New York in any other category.

#16 Angelina

Angelina

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

This really depends on how you define "LA" and how you measure this, on a city-level, county-level, or as a metropolitan area. and we're still grooowing :)

#17 DetroitBazaar

DetroitBazaar

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:29 PM

How would you define LA? Chicago is in a league in and of itself, which most folks in this thread seem to miss. If you want population or sprawl well I can't think of a more miserable place than LA. Again, the first question is pertinent. How do you define LA? Never will it become NYC.

Peace

Edited by DetroitBazaar, 24 October 2005 - 11:31 PM.

#18 EbonyGardens

EbonyGardens

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

LA is already larger than Chicago, but there's no way LA will get bigger than NY, hell will freeze over the day LA overtakes New York in population.

#19 hudkina

hudkina

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:07 AM

These are the top 20 metros in the U.S. as of 2000:

1. New York - 21.36 million
2. LA - 16.37 million
3. Chicago - 9.31 million
4. Washington - 7.54 million
5. San Francisco - 7.09 million
6. Philadelphia - 5.83 million
7. Boston - 5.72 million
8. Detroit - 5.36 million
9. Dallas - 5.35 million
10. Miami - 5.01 million
11. Houston - 4.82 million
12. Atlanta - 4.55 million
13. Seattle - 3.60 million
14. Minneapolis - 3.27 million
15. Phoenix - 3.25 million
16. Cleveland - 2.95 million
17. San Diego - 2.81 million
18. St. Louis - 2.75 million
19. Pittsburgh - 2.53 million
20. Denver - 2.45 million
21. Tampa - 2.40 million
22. Cincinnati - 2.05 million
23. Sacramento - 1.93 million
24. Portland - 1.93 million
25. Kansas City - 1.90 million

Edited by hudkina, 31 January 2006 - 01:08 AM.

#20 cameronm

cameronm

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:42 AM

Maybe not population wise, but only a complete fool would say that Chicago isn't in the same league as L.A. or New York in any other category.

UH...THANK YOU