Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

A Grand Boulevard for Columbia: Assembly Street Improvements

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#281 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

It would be great if the post office on Assembly were gone and that land were used to expand Finlay Park to front Assembly and connect to the proposed linear greenspace running down the median.
  • growingup15 likes this

#282 CorgiMatt

CorgiMatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

At least Columbia Green and downtown residents recently planted shrubs in front of the P.O. along Assembly. I've always thought townhouses and stacked condos should surround that end of Finlay Park. Alleyways could cut through from Assembly to the park.

#283 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

When Columbia finally makes the decision to put pedestrians first, downtown will get a lot better. They are moving in that direction, but it's not there yet. There is no reason for anybody to be going 40mph in downtown Columbia. Part of that move would mean more red lights for drivers but at shorter intervals. This benefits pedestrians because they dont have to stand around as long to wait on the signal to change... most peds will just jaywalk rather than wait.

#284 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

At least Columbia Green and downtown residents recently planted shrubs in front of the P.O. along Assembly. I've always thought townhouses and stacked condos should surround that end of Finlay Park. Alleyways could cut through from Assembly to the park.

Another small detail that I'd also like to see, ideally in concert with narrowing Taylor Street and converting it to a two-way street, is changing up the border of the park along Taylor. I'm not a fan of the wooden posts and ropes that serve as a boundary of the park. Instead, the sidewalks should be extended and the park should open up to the street by removing the posts and ropes and possibly placing tree planters along the edge of the sidewalk, similar to how Greensboro did with Center City Park:

Posted Image

When Columbia finally makes the decision to put pedestrians first, downtown will get a lot better. They are moving in that direction, but it's not there yet. There is no reason for anybody to be going 40mph in downtown Columbia. Part of that move would mean more red lights for drivers but at shorter intervals. This benefits pedestrians because they dont have to stand around as long to wait on the signal to change... most peds will just jaywalk rather than wait.

What I've said previously is that there needs to be an overarching master plan for downtown. Right now, there's a lot of energy being focused on different parts of downtown (Main, Vista, Bull Street campus, Assembly, etc.) and an effort to make them connect better to their surroundings, but a master plan is needed so that it will be clear how each part is pertinent to the whole and it can also help to prioritize and coordinate efforts across downtown.

#285 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

The Urban Land Institute released its study regarding a potential overhaul for Assembly. As noted before, the recommendations include narrowing the thoroughfare to four lanes and building a linear park along the street. Two additional ones not previously mentioned include utilizing the underground parking garage that serves the State House and associated offices after hours and on Mondays and Fridays, and building a pedestrian bridge at Gervais Street.

The comments section is a trip. Sounds like a bunch of suburbanites who only care about getting to their downtown destinations as quickly as possible. Thankfully, there are a few voices of reason among area residents.

#286 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

The Urban Land Institute released its study regarding a potential overhaul for Assembly. As noted before, the recommendations include narrowing the thoroughfare to four lanes and building a linear park along the street. Two additional ones not previously mentioned include utilizing the underground parking garage that serves the State House and associated offices after hours and on Mondays and Fridays, and building a pedestrian bridge at Gervais Street.

The comments section is a trip. Sounds like a bunch of suburbanites who only care about getting to their downtown destinations as quickly as possible. Thankfully, there are a few voices of reason among area residents.

I'm confused on the pedestrian bridge idea... Isn't a MAJOR point of this overhaul to increase pedestrian friendliness, and therefore alleviate the need for taking people above the street?

#287 CorgiMatt

CorgiMatt

Town

• Members+
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

The only reason I would be for a pedestrian bridge is that the State House grounds at the corner are so high in the first place. As long as they don't go diagonal with it and as long as they make it beautiful I wouldn't mind it. The bigger story to me is the suggestion that the intersection should be transformed from a nondescript crossroads to the intersection of South Carolina. That's only a fitting concept, being that it's at the corner of the State House grounds.

In a local news report the Urban Land Institute speaker said Columbia is a city with tremendous assets in different districts and neighborhoods that need to be connected. There's no word on how the connectivity would be funded. Stay tuned.

Edited by CorgiMatt, 13 March 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#288 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm confused on the pedestrian bridge idea... Isn't a MAJOR point of this overhaul to increase pedestrian friendliness, and therefore alleviate the need for taking people above the street?

I was thinking the same thing myself. Even with the elevated nature of the Statehouse grounds, there are steps that lead down to the sidewalk. I think it might be unnecessary.

#289 growingup15

growingup15

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

The South Carolina Department of Transportation has scheduled a public information meeting May 8 concerning plans to improve approximately one-half mile of Assembly Street in Columbia.

The meeting will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Donor Room at the Koger Center for the Arts, at 1051 Greene St. in Columbia.

The meeting will have an informal drop-in format with displays.

SCDOT is currently developing plans to improve approximately one-half mile of Assembly Street from Pendleton Street to Blossom Street and along Greene Street from Main Street to Assembly Street.

#290 johnpro318

johnpro318

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

The South Carolina Department of Transportation has scheduled a public information meeting May 8 concerning plans to improve approximately one-half mile of Assembly Street in Columbia.
The meeting will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Donor Room at the Koger Center for the Arts, at 1051 Greene St. in Columbia.
The meeting will have an informal drop-in format with displays.
SCDOT is currently developing plans to improve approximately one-half mile of Assembly Street from Pendleton Street to Blossom Street and along Greene Street from Main Street to Assembly Street.

Sounds like a good start and I'm glad to hear everyone partnering up for this. I'm sure USC had a big part in this because I believe they want Green Street to become an axis for the school. Hope some people from this forum can drop in and give good insight, then bring back what was discussed.

#291 growingup15

growingup15

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Sounds like a good start and I'm glad to hear everyone partnering up for this. I'm sure USC had a big part in this because I believe they want Green Street to become an axis for the school. Hope some people from this forum can drop in and give good insight, then bring back what was discussed.

Already planning to go. i set up my calender to go.

#292 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

From the public hearing held this past Tuesday by the city, USC, and SCDOT concerning Assembly Street improvements, which are estimated to begin this fall:

Proposed changes include a landscaped median in the center of Assembly Street to replace metered parking spots, a fence to prohibit jaywalking, extended curbs at the intersections, improved sidewalks and the addition of bus stop shelters.

All metered parking on Greene Street will be removed for the addition of bike lanes.

The intersection at Greene and Assembly streets will restrict left turns in all directions, and the Assembly intersections at Greene and College streets will prohibit right turns on red.

I'm assuming the mention of the fence to prevent jaywalking refers to a fenced median, similar to this one in downtown Atlanta on Marietta Street as it runs between the CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park:

Posted Image

#293 growingup15

growingup15

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

here are the PDF files for the Assembly street project.

You will like the details on the renderings.

http://www.scdot.org...n_2012_0507.pdf
http://www.scdot.org...l_2012_0507.pdf
http://www.scdot.org...g_2012_0507.pdf

#294 johnpro318

johnpro318

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

here are the PDF files for the Assembly street project.

You will like the details on the renderings.

http://www.scdot.org...n_2012_0507.pdf
http://www.scdot.org...g_2012_0507.pdf

All of the people who are against this should note that there will be the same number of lanes so they don't have to worry about a road diet and say this will add congestion. That is the biggest problem a lot of suburban drivers are worried about but they shouldn't as these plans show. The parallel parking will just be taken out and left and right had turns will be restricted at certain intersections.
  • growingup15 likes this

#295 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I can't tell from the schematics, but since no lanes are being eliminated, are they at least being narrowed?

#296 johnpro318

johnpro318

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

I can't tell from the schematics, but since no lanes are being eliminated, are they at least being narrowed?

The schematics say the lanes will be 12 feet wide which is the standard for interstates so I'm assuming they aren't narrowing them any unless it is worse than we thought and Assembly currently has lanes that are wider than standard interstate lanes. :shok:
  • growingup15 likes this

#297 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

USC’s Board of Trustees decided at its monthly board meeting to proceed with an agreement with the city of Columbia – essentially the last step needed to pursue federal funding from the Federal Transit Administration. Assembly Street improvements could begin as early as next year if federal funding comes through later this summer.

#298 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,213 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Well, the links don't work. Not having seen the plans I can only make assumptions.

General thoughts:
Bike lanes are not needed on Greene Street. Parking w/ sharrows would be amore effective use of space.

A landscaped median on that portion of Assembly will be fantastic. A few more trees will make that area way better for pedestrians. I'm not a huge fans of fences though. I'd rather them allocate less space to cars.

#299 growingup15

growingup15

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'm all for Fencing is Discourage Jaywalkers. trust me i've almost hit a few jaywalkers before driving down Assembly

I'm all for Fencing is Discourage Jaywalkers. trust me i've almost hit a few jaywalkers before driving down Assembly

#300 johnpro318

johnpro318

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well, the links don't work. Not having seen the plans I can only make assumptions.

General thoughts:
Bike lanes are not needed on Greene Street. Parking w/ sharrows would be amore effective use of space.

A landscaped median on that portion of Assembly will be fantastic. A few more trees will make that area way better for pedestrians. I'm not a huge fans of fences though. I'd rather them allocate less space to cars.

I think the fences are a good way to make sure that people don't cross except at the intersections where people are more likely to notice them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users