Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Metro Orlando Headlines

• Please log in to reply
1789 replies to this topic

#1481 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

:good: Hard to believe it's been only 2 terms for Dyer.

#1482 bic

bic

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Orlando Population No. 3 in State

Orlando is estimated to have a population of about 2.22 million as of April 1, up from 2.13 million on April 1, 2010...In the Sunshine State, South Florida ranked No.1 with a population of 5.67 million followed by Tampa (2.8 million). Jacksonville ranked No.4 with a population of 1.4 million and Sarasota/Bradenton came in fifth (718,532).

#1483 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

:good: Hard to believe it's been only 2 terms for Dyer.

Well, 2 and change since he finished Glenda's last term but good news nevertheless!

#1484 XpressEnterprise

XpressEnterprise

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Buddy Dyer Wins Again!

#1485 DeepEyez

DeepEyez

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

YES!!!!

#1486 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

"Want to buy a mall? Orlando Fashion Square is up for sale."

http://www.orlandose...0,2468636.story

Interesting details about its sub-par sales per square foot. Of course, if anyone at City Hall were thinking about the future of downtown, they would attempt to leverage the sale to a great opportunity to move retail back to the core where it started by finding an alternative use for the mall, but as usual when it comes to downtown retail (other than bars), all we hear are the sound of crickets. But I'm not bitter!

#1487 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I welcome the day that we find out someone is buying the land and redeveloping it. Some nice vertical buildings on Colonial would be great stair casing down and connecting to Baldwin Park. With Cady Way Trail going right through it in a Winter Garden like thoroughfare.

It's a beautiful dream :)

In the meantime, Colonial Plaza has to be smiling.

#1488 101_ce

101_ce

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not sure where else to put this, but YSL is opening a boutique at the Mall at Millenia.
I am glad to hear about the sale of the Fashion Square. The area is not that nice, but with Baldwin Park now I think it could easily turn around. While it wouldn't likely attract tourists, renovating this mall and adding more/better stores would really win over the locals!

#1489 ThatFloridaDude

ThatFloridaDude

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

I have ran out of my Orlando Sentinal monthly readings, what are some plans for the mall area?

#1490 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

There won't be any plans anytime soon at least until there is a buyer unless the City steps in.

I guess there are 3 general outcomes that could happen:

1) Another firm purchases the mall and invests in improving it.

2) The mall is repurposed into a school, corporate center, or other facility.

3) The land is repurposed, mall may/may not be retained in current form, likely infill development over much of surface parking.

#1491 FLClarkKent

FLClarkKent

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

I think this is exciting news. Lots of potential for redevelopment at this mall, along with the rest of that stretch of Colonial (all the way down to 436).

#1492 klstorey

klstorey

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

There won't be any plans anytime soon at least until there is a buyer unless the City steps in.

I guess there are 3 general outcomes that could happen:

1) Another firm purchases the mall and invests in improving it.

2) The mall is repurposed into a school, corporate center, or other facility.

3) The land is repurposed, mall may/may not be retained in current form, likely infill development over much of surface parking.

I do agree that maybe retail isn't best for this location anymore. I would love to see the mall taken over by more offices and maybe a good museum or two. Heck, why not have Full Sail buy it? Studio space, a large movie theater on site, it would be perfect for them.

I think this is exciting news. Lots of potential for redevelopment at this mall, along with the rest of that stretch of Colonial (all the way down to 436).

The East Colonial Drive Vision that the city has was updated in Feb-March. In those reports it shows the older plans for Fashion Square having both indoor and outdoor shopping and a residential component added to the eastern edge of the mall property. The city seems to be designing its plans around the assumption that this and the GOAA property plans are both still in place.

That makes me wonder who ever buys the mall would surely at least be made aware of these plans and possibly pressured by local stakeholders (like the city officially or unofficially) to continue with these remodeling plans.

Check out the Bennett Road and Herndon Ave presentations for the most details on the Fashion Sq plans. It even looks like the city is planning on adding a couple of new roads in that area to connect to this proposed residential addition to the mall.

#1493 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

These plans remind me of the presentations for the Semoran Blvd visioning plan. Very modest and hopefully bigger plans are made behind the scenes while this just serves as a planning exercise.

I mean it doesn't take a lot of "vision" to stick a Dunkin Donuts in the empty lot next to the Arby's. I don't think that a lack of intersection enhancemnets are what is keeping Dunkin away.

#1494 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Fringe Overflows Into Ivanhoe Village

http://www.watermark...ivanhoe-village

This is great for Fringe, great for Ivanhoe and another thumb in the eye for those who keep insisting Orlando is a desert for the arts.

#1495 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Billy Manes and the crew over at Orlando Weekly have done a great in-depth look at "Who the Hell Are We?" with several columns talking about Orlando, the I4 corridor and what we think about ourselves vs. what others think about us. It's a good thought-provoker about the region.

http://orlandoweekly...lture-1.1361912

#1496 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Spaceship builder setting up shop in Florida

With the manned space race heating back up as China and South Korea now planning manned missions beyond earth orbit, and with the NASA monopoly over on some flights here at home, this could (and should) be a major growth area for the central Florida economy. Oddly, its one that most of us in Orlando rarely think about despite connections we have to Brevard both politically and corporately (such as Lockheed Martin.)
Anyway, the latest good news on that front:
http://articles.orla...dy-space-center

Edited by spenser1058, 23 August 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#1497 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Groups push to make Lake Apopka marshes a National Wildlife Refuge

This is a great idea for Lake Apopka. If you haven't been out there in a while, the number of birds out in the marshes has exploded and it's once again on its way to becoming the natural gem it was before WWII and the development of the muck farms. Bringing back the fish is going to take a lot longer, but this could only help. The good news is that cities along the lake (especially Winter Garden) realize what a plus this could be for their future. The villain in the piece is a group of developers who want to actually use the marshland for a general aviation airport,even though they have to date been unable to show any real demand for one in such an important environmental location. Once upon a time, even presidents visited Lake Apopka for the bass fishing - let's hope it can happen again someday.

http://articles.orla...gnation-marshes

Edited by spenser1058, 01 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#1498 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

New laws reducing beach driving pedestrian accidents, officials say

http://articles.orla...ol-tammy-marris
I'm glad to see this. It had definitely gotten out of hand but paying some attention to the problem seems to have engendered a workable solution. Despite the tut-tutting of the yuppies from out of town, driving on the central Florida beaches is part of our heritage (heaven knows it goes back before Gatorland, not to mention the Mouse - it's an integral part of how NASCAR came to be.) I think it's important to have the vehicle-free sections as well as to watch out for the turtles to the south, but this is something that's every bit as unique. Good work (albeit late) by Volusia County.

Edited by spenser1058, 03 September 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#1499 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer considering 2014 run for governor

http://articles.orla...ernatorial-race

Here we go - if Buddy goes ahead with the run, this could have quite an impact on downtown. Each mayor's approach to the center city has been different, so it will be fascinating to see the list of candidates develop. Given the city's heavy Democratic tilt and the fact that an incredibly small number of folks will likely determine who the next mayor will be (I'm researching now when Buddy would have to resign if he chooses to compete), this could be an interesting turn of events.

Edited by spenser1058, 06 September 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#1500 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Winter Garden voted favorite farmers market

http://www.orlandose...0,7797081.story

"The city's weekly Saturday open-air market, where shoppers can buy fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables and other produce, draws such large crowds that city leaders have proposed building a parking garage downtown."

The leadership of the folks out there continues to impress me with their "can do" attitude for a city of that size. Best of all, they are doing amazing things while keeping the finances in check (it's an amazing tale of revitalization made possible by growth in the newer, suburban areas south of FL 50 - good to see the cash flow moving in that direction after so many decades when it was just the opposite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users