Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Historic Lansing photos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

I'm just begining to build a collection of historic Lansing photos, I hope to have more soon, when I do I will post them here. It's kind of interesting to see what used to be.

First, a shot looking east down Michigan Ave in 1930, none of the buildings on the right exist anymore.
Posted Image

An arial view of the Captiol Complex under construction in 1967, it would be nice to see this kind of thing going on again, the Treasury, Mennen and Transportation buildings are under construction along with the Lansing Towers apartments.
Posted Image

A night shot of the Capitol Complex in 1971, shortly after it's completion, looks very modern and clean.
Posted Image

An industrial shot of Cedar & Shiawassee in 1910, I don't beleive any of the noticeble buildings exist any more. I can't figure out exactly which way this is facing since there are no landmarks to go by.
Posted Image

A drawing of the REO plant in 1918, Washington Ave is running accross the bottom right.
Posted Image

A view of the REO buildings that faced Washington Ave in 1977.
Posted Image

A view of REO along the RR tracks in 1977.
Posted Image

A view of the Old Lansing City Hall (Left) and the Old Post Office (Right)
Posted Image

The Lansing School for the Blind as it used to be.
Posted Image

Lansing Central High School, now known as LCC's Old Central Building (has been "modernized")
Posted Image

Some unkown Lansing Factory shots, non currently exist :( , of course.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope to get more historic photos of downtown soon, to be specific the third Saturday of this month when the library has it's history section open.

#2 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

Wow...the whole REO Town area used to be an area onto itself. The factory was simply huge and you can tell by the footprint the area leaves today.

Also, the Cedar and Shiawassee shot is looking slightly northwest. You can see the Grand River and the rail bridge (now a pedestrian Bridge) in the upper left hand corner. I'm sure a few of those buildings are left though the picture if so fuzzy that I only see one I recognize. If you look near the bottom right you see a house with a crown. It's now a center for dyslexia.

Man, the area just west of the Capitol Complex has been completely leveled for parking lots. It's so sad.

#3 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

The razing of the REO Factory was more of a good thing for the area, it was abandoned and severly dilapidated at the time of it's destruction, it suffered from a major fire in 1979 and demoliton was completed in 1980. Every bit of that land from Cedar to Washington and from the tracks to Baker was solid factory, built right up to the sidewalk in most spots When driving south on Cedar, coming down the bridge, look on the ground on the west side of the street (by Oleary paint), that cement strip thats level with the ground was a retaining wall for Reo, thats how cramped it was.

The 6 block area that the origional Capitol Complex sits on was largly occupied by
mid rise apartments and rowhouses, some of the rowhouse strips were up to 1/2 block long according to maps, those are the main pictures I would like to see.

And as for Cedar & Shiawassee, do you mean northwest? I think I see it now pointing out that house helps. I think most of that was there quite recently, some was demolished for Olds Park and some for the Lansing Center.

#4 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

Yes, I said northwest. And yes, most of that was demolished for Olds Park, but most of the buildings along Larch are historic and remain today. You can even see the lumber yard in the picture where Riverfront Towers and Apartments is today.

#5 dunveth

dunveth

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

Is that first picture really looking east? It looks to me like the familiar view of the capitol looking west from Larch or Cedar.

I haven't lived in Lansing for 25 years, but if that view is of East Michigan Ave., when I lived there, it was Lansing's sleaze district (hookers, strip clubs, Joe Covello's Drag Bar, Rescue Mission "Jesusaves", etc.).

Enlighten me Lmichigan ...

#6 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

He simply mispoke. It's looking directly west.

The area you are speaking of is now Oldsmobile Stadium, as I'm sure you know, and the businesses along Larch and East Michigan are now cleaned up and revitalized. Most of the buildings have lofts above the storefronts now. The whole area is referred to as Pere Marquette Place by some. There is a small block of new construction condos along the railtracks north of Claras, but still much land to build on.

The Rescue Mission is still there and doing the good work it always has. It's an eclectic mix of businesses to say the least.

#7 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

Some more historic photos/postcards:

LS & MS Depot - this was somewhere along Cedar Street, downtown. I can't really remember the old railroad configuration of the area, but it was somewhere in this area and demolished long ago.
Posted Image

Hollister Building before it was expanded and still known as the Hollister Block. This is the oldest remaining "high-rise" building of Lansing.
Posted Image

Fire Station #1 - This one looks like the current home of the Lansing Civic Players on East Michigan Avenue, but Station #1 would be the one downtown at Grand and Shiawasee. So, I'm not sure where this one is or if it still exists.
Posted Image

300 south block of Washington Square looking north. With the old Downey Hotel dominating the foreground.
Posted Image

100 south block of Washington looking north. Looks to be sometime in the 60's.
Posted Image

#8 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

The old Train Station would of been along Depot St., which is in almost the same spot as Museum Dr. going under the Lansing Center. It would of been near the Northwest corner of the Lansing Center. The depot was known as the Michigan Southern Depot and the New York Depot. It flooded a ot so the built The Union Station (Claras) to replace it, this one was tore down in 1938.

According to my book, the second fire station #1 (which is the one you have a pic of) was "at the base of Allegan Street, on Grand" basically where the S. Grand ramp is now.

Edited by hood, 20 February 2006 - 01:02 PM.

#9 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

Here are a couple of Washington Ave pics from Water Winter Wonderland.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

I actually like the old configuration of Washington Square with the parallel parking. It gave it a more of a "big city street" feel. But then again, that's before they close off the northern blocks, and before LCC close it off totally to Northtown/Old Town.

#11 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

I like it better too. But I understand why they changed it, there is no need for a 4 lane road there. Ideally they would of made the street narrower to begin with, but at the time such a wide street was a bragging right.

#12 jaredw

jaredw

Whistle-Stop

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

^^^ Well the center of the street was dedicated to a trolley car right?

#13 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

It was, but that was quite a few years before the postcards were taken. The difference really was that Washington Avenue was quite the major thoroughfare back before it was close off on its north.

#14 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

Besides being turned into a square through downtown, another major piece in Washington's downfall was that it was never continued to the south. I think that was a huge mistake.

#15 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, no one ever expected Lansing would grow that far south. And when it did grow that far south, Logan Highway and Cedar Street had already taken away a lot of business on South Washington. I mean, it starts back up a Jolly, but just feels like any other street. And then, it ends abrutly again in Holt at a cornfield. A weird configuration. It's kind of like how Larch and Cedar start again in North Lansing after they seemingly merge into East Street.

#16 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

There is also a small piece of East street that runs south off of Kalamazoo next to the RR tracks, I guess the RR tracks that run by Claras replaced most of East St. a long time ago.

#17 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, the piece of East Street isn't too far from me. It runs behind the Sunset Market. I'm sure you know this, but North, East, South, and West streets are all named that because each was a border of the city, at a time. It's what I've always referred to as Lansing's Central Core or the old city. It was pretty much a perfect rectangle runing long along the river. West Street, though, is much newer than the other's, though. I can't seem to remember what street was the original western border of the city. It must have been Walnut, Chestnut, or Pine.

#18 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

I don't know about the origional western border, but I know Jenison was a pretty significant dividing line, and it still is.