Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

West Greenville Village

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:37 PM

Here are some shots of the West Pendleton Street area. This little area is incredible....it's still a tightly compact little "mini-downtown". Would love to see the city really focus on this area. To be in a really rough area, most of the buildings are still in pretty good shape. This area seems it could make a come back very easily. I know several artist studios have started to open (ie: Art Bomb). With a little tender loving care..........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 jfl25

jfl25

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

I agree this area should be focused on a little more.This is a historic part of Greenville and I think it should be Historicly renovated.

#3 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

I agree this area should be focused on a little more.This is a historic part of Greenville and I think it should be Historicly renovated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being newer to Greenville, I really don't know the West Pendleton areas history. Was this the downtown for a mill village? Seems a little larger than most mill village areas.

#4 jfl25

jfl25

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:30 PM

Someone else may be able to elaborate more than I can but this area is were Shoeless Joe Jackson grew up If Im not mistaken. Can someone give us a breif history lesson

#5 gvillenative

gvillenative

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

The West Pendleton Street area is known as West Greenville, and yes you are correct "Shoeless" Joe Jackson did grow up nearby by in the Brandon Mill village. Basically the area is the epicenter of about 3 old mill villages; Brandon Mill, Judson, and Monaghan if I'm not mistaken. Also Parker so 4 mill villages. Thats about all I know. Theres a sign on West Pendleton guiding you to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson memorial baseball field, which I believe is where the mill from which the Brandon Mill village namesake is taken. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :P

#6 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,192 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

I've often wondered why "West Greenville" or the"West End" is south of downtown on South Main St.

#7 gvillenative

gvillenative

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

thats about like 26 being an east-west interstate and 85 being north-south, it should be the other way around because of obvious reasons. some things there are just no answers for. i think i might have an idea though. cities generally like to designate regions using only one direction, ie eastside, west end, west greenville, ect. so they take the one that makes the least since and take it off. if it where named for its true location it would be the southwest end or south west greenville they might have took the south off because it was more west than south and it just made more sense.

Edited by gvillenative, 14 August 2005 - 03:38 PM.

#8 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,192 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:57 PM

I was thinking that the South End would make better sense, which is why I asked.

The interstates, however, are explainable. Diagonal interstates going from SE to NW are always labeled with EW markers, etc. Diagonal interstates from SW to NE are always labeled with NS markers.

#9 gvillenative

gvillenative

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

Also I believe that the West End was established before downtown really grew so at the time it was west but downtown grew up and it wound up being more south than west.

#10 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:02 AM

The West Pendleton Street area is known as West Greenville, and yes you are correct "Shoeless" Joe Jackson did grow up nearby by in the Brandon Mill village. Basically the area is the epicenter of about 3 old mill villages; Brandon Mill, Judson, and Monaghan if I'm not mistaken. Also Parker so 4 mill villages. Thats about all I know. Theres a sign on West Pendleton guiding you to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson memorial baseball field, which I believe is where the mill from which the Brandon Mill village namesake is taken. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the history gvillenative! I really hope this area will come back. It has soooo much potential!

#11 btoy

btoy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

West Greenville, is made up of Monaghan, Parker, Woodside, and the Brandon Neighborhoods.

West Pendlton is the Brandon Neighborhood. Mike Watts and the owner of the Brandon Mill own many of those buildings and envision the area being Greenville's center for the Arts.

I see it myself as the next big hotspot and should help spur redevelopment to the rest of West Greenville.

BTW, the Greenville Journal recently wrote an articel on what is going on there.

#12 btoy

btoy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

By the way here is a photo of Brandon Mill, currently Golf products are made here, would be great for Condos.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is the Shoeless Joe Jackson Baseball Park, see mill in the back ground?
Posted Image

Here is a photo of progress on the Apartment conversion at Monghahon Mill (Lofts of Greenville). Should help spur redevelopment to another one of the West Greenville neighborhoods.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 NYTransplant

NYTransplant

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for those shots Brad. :thumbsup:

I'm not at all familiar with this area. What are the street names near the mill and the ball field?

#14 btoy

btoy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for those shots Brad.  :thumbsup:

I'm not at all familiar with this area.  What are the street names near the mill and the ball field?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about Brandon Mill and the Ball Field, don't know the street names but they can be seen from Pendlton Street, just look West and you should see them.

As for Monaghan Mill it is on Smyth St. which becomes Woodside Ave. it also passes Woodside Mill and Parker High and ends and Pendleton St.

#15 NYTransplant

NYTransplant

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:23 AM

Not sure about Brandon Mill and the Ball Field, don't know the street names but they can be seen from Pendlton Street, just look West and you should see them.
As for Monaghan Mill it is on Smyth St.  which becomes Woodside Ave. it also passes Woodside Mill and Parker High and ends and Pendleton St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Brad.

#16 gvillenative

gvillenative

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

There is also a sign for Shoeless Joe Jackson historical marker I believe the field is dedicated to him I know. The sign is on West Pendleton. Thats where Brandon Mill is.

#17 Skyliner

Skyliner

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

I'm surprised no one posted about the great article in yesterday's (Sunday) Greenville News Arts & Travel section. It gives a great description of the history of West Greenville/Brandon and has numerous quotes from artists in the colony, known among their circle as the "SoHo" of Greenville. VERY GOOD READING! :)

If you didn't pick up a copy, you should still be able to buy one at Books-a-Million.

#18 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

I'm surprised no one posted about the great article in yesterday's (Sunday) Greenville News Arts & Travel section.  It gives a great description of the history of West Greenville/Brandon and has numerous quotes from artists in the colony, known among their circle as the "SoHo" of Greenville.  VERY GOOD READING! :)

If you didn't pick up a copy, you should still be able to buy one at Books-a-Million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just read this article this morning. Excellent! Nice to see attention being brought to this area of town! :)

#19 Anasazi

Anasazi

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

Just read this article this morning. Excellent! Nice to see attention being brought to this area of town! :)

My wife and I are from Greenville and have been living in New York City for a few years. We keep up with what's going on back home and actually read the article you mentioned. We're artists and have been in school up here for a few years. A while back we noticed what was going on in West Greenville with places such as ArtBomb, bringing new life to the community. We have thought about coming back home and buying a building in West Greenville to set up a gallery and studio space. The momentum is picking up. It's only a matter of time before the old area is booming.

Edited by Anasazi, 23 September 2005 - 12:59 PM.

#20 Skyliner

Skyliner

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

Welcome to you and your wife, Anasazi!

Thank you for your thoughts on the West Pendleton artist colony. Please keep us informed about your plans to be part of the growing arts community here in Greenville. :D We love to hear what people are saying about this area who've not been here in recent years. It is incredible the amount of interest and change taking place all over dowtown. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users