Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Wealthy Neighborhoods of NC Cities

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:06 AM

What are the wealthy neighborhoods in your city?

#2 willrusso

willrusso

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

North Raleigh LOL!!!

#3 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:28 AM

Asheville- Biltmore Park/Biltmore Forest

Charlotte- Myers Park, SouthPark area, Ballantyne, Providence, Quail Hollow, Lake Norman & Wylie... among some

Greensboro- Irving Park, Fisher Park, Starmount, Brassfield, Sedgefield

Winston Salem- Forsyth Country Club

Raleigh- Carolina Country Club/Anderson Heights, North Hills, Bayleaf, Durant Rd Area (North Raliegh, as mentioned)

Durham- Treyburn, Hope Valley

Chapel Hill- Country Club

#4 intcvlcphlga

intcvlcphlga

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

In Asheville, you could add the area from Charlotte Street up the hill to the Grove Park Inn.

In Winston-Salem, the Forsyth Country Club area is part of Buena Vista which is similar to Irving Park or Myers Park. It's a huge, older, loosely defined neighborhood stretching from FCC area to Old Town Country Club/Reynolda Estate area to 5-points/Stratford Rd area. There's also Sherwood Forest, which is a newer equally large and undefined higher end neighborhood. Washington Park, West End and West Highlands are a few of the higher end neighborhoods that developed around the periphery of downtown starting in the Victorian era before Buena Vista was developed.

#5 orulz

orulz

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Asheville- Biltmore Park/Biltmore Forest

Biltmore Forest is actually not part of Asheville. It has been an incorporated town of its own since 1923, although it closely resembles an exclusive subdivision. The difference is, it has town ordinances instead of a HOA agreement. Ha ha.

Biltmore Forest is the wealthiest, incorporated community in North Carolina.

#6 DanRNC

DanRNC

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:07 PM

Chapel Hill-The Oaks (CHCC), Historic Downtown District, Meadowmont, Southern Village, Cross Creek, Laurel Hill, Gimghoul, The Woodlands, Lake Hogan Farms, Talbryn, Governors Club, The Preserve at Jordan Lake. Hell, the entire town.

Edited by DanRNC, 10 September 2005 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Skyybutter

Skyybutter

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

Concord-

Union St area (this area is the old money, historic district of charming architecturally diverse homes.)
Cannon School area ( This area is home to newer money. Various subdivisions such as Carriage Downs, Kings Crossing and Afton Village.)

Edited by Skyybutter, 10 September 2005 - 02:02 PM.

#8 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:08 PM

how do these neighborhoods compare to Myers Park? Just for a personal perspective. Are these areas as large as Charlotte's wealthier neighborhoods?

I would add eastover as another wealthy charlotte neighborhood.

Some stats for Charlotte neighborhoods. I probably missed a few. These stats are from 2004.

Eastover
Population: 2,227
Median Household Income: $200,854
Average House Value: $709,479

Myers Park
Population: 10,376
Median Household Income: $114,138
Average House Value: $515,844

Foxcroft (North Southpark)
Population: 4,913
Median Household Income: $105,443
Average House Value: $620,886

Ballantyne
Population: 8,143
Median Household Income: $117,442
Average House Value: $293,543

Providence Plantation
Population: 7,079
Median Household Income: $126,736
Average House Value: $310,600

Montibello
Population: 4,572
Median Household Income: $227,094
Average House Value: $425,192

Charlotte also many new mcmansion subdivisons starting in the $780,000 - $2,600,000. I can think of 10 off the the top of my head.

In terms of suburbs Charlotte's wealthiest are probably Marvin and Weddington.

All the listed neighborhoods are in the South Side. There are also some very nice neighborhoods up by lake norman.

Edited by moonshield, 10 September 2005 - 02:24 PM.

#9 MR-2

MR-2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

Chapel Hill-The Oaks (CHCC), Historic Downtown District, Meadowmont, Southern Village, Cross Creek, Laurel Hill, Gimghoul, The Woodlands, Lake Hogan Farms, Talbryn, Governors Club, The Preserve at Jordan Lake. Hell, the entire town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't really consider a handful of carrboro's neighborhoods particularly affluent.

Edited by MR-2, 10 September 2005 - 04:55 PM.

#10 DanRNC

DanRNC

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

I wouldn't really consider a handful of carrboro's neighborhoods particularly affluent.

I didn't point out Carrboro. The Woodlands is the only area near Carrboro and those are $700K-$1 mil.+.

Carrboro is actually affordable-Chapel Hill is not. Trust me I live there. The average home price is around $330K.

#11 Eastwestrob

Eastwestrob

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

How about some pictures of these well to do neighborhoods

#12 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:11 AM

yeah i forgot about Eastover, Charlotte's wealthiest

#13 urbanesq

urbanesq

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

Several neighborhoods inside the Raleigh beltline house incredibly substantial wealth: Hayes Barton, Drury Hills, etc. The CC area is wealthy as well, but the old money lives in Hayes Barton.

Emerywood in High Point was designed by the same landscape architect who laid out Hayes Barton, although his name at present escapes me. Sedgefiled in the Greensboro/Jamestown area is also affluent.

There are pockets of downtown Wilmington that house massive wealth, but the neighborhoods out towards Wrightsville - Landfall, Mayfaire-- eclispse those. Wrightsville Beach itself has more than a few year-round residents who have a couple of coins to rub together.

#14 JunktionFET

JunktionFET

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:43 PM

Cary's wealthiest neighborhoods are probably in Regency Park, MacGregor West, and parts of Preston. I suspect the neighborhoods along the Swift Creek bluffs are quite steep too (the hills and the prices).

I hate neighborhoods like that... they aren't very practical.

#15 jr7777

jr7777

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:44 PM

Asheville- Biltmore Park

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Biltmore Park has a "town square." It is home to the Reuter family YMCA, WLOS/WBSC, a BMW plant, and a few smaller businesses. I've never seen a neighborhood like this. To read more about check out their website. Do any of these other wealthy neighborhoods have something like this?

#16 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:58 PM

Biltmore Park has a "town square." It is home to the Reuter family YMCA, WLOS/WBSC, a BMW plant, and a few smaller businesses. I've never seen a neighborhood like this. To read more about check out their website. Do any of these other wealthy neighborhoods have something like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.biltmorep...om/work_TS.html
Does the town square have a grocery store or planned? Does anyone know.. thanks

edit: this is what they have on there
Plans call for retail shops, a hotel, theater, offices, restaurants, and a health and fitness center. The Town Square will also offer a host of residential options such as apartments, townhomes and lofts.

could retail shops include a grocer?

Edited by cantnot, 13 September 2005 - 12:12 AM.

#17 jr7777

jr7777

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:57 AM

could retail shops include a grocer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so, because Ingles just built a new grocery store right across from biltmore park (the apartments) on long shoals rd. So no, I don't think they would actually build a grocery store within one or two town square.

#18 Miesian Corners

Miesian Corners

Town

• Members+
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

I always thought Hayes-Barton was Raleigh's wealthiest neighborhood.

#19 ralex231

ralex231

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

ITB- Raleigh
North Ridge-North Raleigh
Briar Creek-North Raleigh
Wakefield- Raleigh
Preston- Cary
Durant-Raleigh
Olde Raleigh-Raleigh

#20 urbanesq

urbanesq

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

I always thought Hayes-Barton was Raleigh's wealthiest neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it used to be, but the concentration of weath has moved outside the beltline and into the north raleigh burbs. ITB is still high cotten, don't get me wrong, but the really big dollars are in some of the newer neighborhoods with North Raleigh zip codes.