Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

• Please log in to reply
2980 replies to this topic

#2861 urbanlife

urbanlife

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

No wait needed. I took one glance at pilot online and left. Morons act as though transit mishaps dont happen in other cities as well. Think I'm gonna take a break from that site for the next few days, it's better for my blood pressure that way, lol.

Yeah, I typically try not to read the comments posted on articles cause it is usually some of the stupidest and ignorant posts you can possibly read, to the point you are surprised these people were able to read and comment to something online because you would think that would be too technically advanced for them.

#2862 BFG

BFG

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Precisely the reason I've avoided that article. The lightest hint of catastrophe regarding light rail is just inviting the sharks to pounce...it's the drawback of working in the media. You can't ignore reporting it, but if you do, prepare for the onslaught (against HRT, not us...this time!)

#2863 mistermetaj

mistermetaj

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Precisely the reason I've avoided that article. The lightest hint of catastrophe regarding light rail is just inviting the sharks to pounce...it's the drawback of working in the media. You can't ignore reporting it, but if you do, prepare for the onslaught (against HRT, not us...this time!)

I thought it was funny that the journalist who wrote the article interviewed a person who lives across the street from where the train derailed. I mean, the person wasn't on the train, probably didn't hear anything since the train didn't flip over or anything, just went off tracks. The person probably didn't even know there was a derailment until some random reporter knocks on his door and say "did you hear the train derailed? How does this affect you? Have you ridden the train before? Can I get a quote from you? Did you say a prayer for those on the train who were unharmed? Given the immense danger now faced by riders of LR, will you ever ride it again? Do you plan on suing the city?"

#2864 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

NSU is at it again! There are no words... <_<

http://hamptonroads....comment-1269326

We moved the station because you wanted it there in the first place.

#2865 ronsmytheiii

ronsmytheiii

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Exactly, and the NSU officials are tryng to blame it solely on the President at the time. I have a newsflash for them, it takes more than one person to push for the change, the entire college is to blame and no one else should pay to correct the move, only NSU.

AS for the derailment, after talking to a light rail operaor the next day, turns out it really was the operator's error and nothing more. The operator was supposed to stop earlier but pretty much went through a "red light" as they approached the station, they saw another train and realized their error, and decided to back up but they are specifically instructed NOT to reverse, so that was why it jumped off the rails. The train was fine and should be operational after a quick realinement at the shop, but that operator obviously lost their job because of what happened. HRT officials now have operators call out when they are nearing certain spots on the radio to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by ronsmytheiii, 22 January 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#2866 urbanvb

urbanvb

City

• Editor
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

I just hope the city of Norfolk doesn't attempt to jump in and pay thousands of dollars to try to rectify this. Taxpayers would rightly so be livid.

Edited by urbanvb, 22 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#2867 Mos

Mos

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I just hope the city of Norfolk doesn't attempt to jump in and pay thousands of dollars to try to rectify this. Taxpayers would rightly so be livid.

I understand your position urban, but hope is for suckers.
The fact is we have all known that this was going to be an issue, and despite 7 million in added costs, nothing was done in the redesign to address this. NSU's fault? Certainly. City of Norfolk's fault? I would say yes.
They could ticket those j walking across Brambleton; perhaps make almost as much as they could make off j walkers on Hampton Blvd.
What if they, ( NSU or Norfolk) built a fence or barricade along the south side of Brambleton. No need to widen the median or move the curbs. Given that it will all be public money anyway, why not search for an economical solution before someone gets killed. After all, the person who hits a j walker is the real victim.

#2868 brikkman

brikkman

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Can't say i'm surprised.
The argument was parsed in the beginning. Most logical people went "HUH< WHAT" when they orginially complained about the station. Now they are back to square one with the whole issue. We all guessed right as the move never made sense.

#2869 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Lots of people on the train today, and the newton lot is pretty full. Kinda counterintuitive considering how stormy it is. Guess all the problems last week didn't really phase people. If we can draw this many people on a rainy day then I think light rails future is fairly secure.

#2870 ronsmytheiii

ronsmytheiii

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Transit related:

Norfolk weighs new $5.5 million bus facility

Every day, thousands of residents stand in an isolated parking lot next to Cedar Grove Cemetery to wait for the bus.
Besides the view of the cemetery, the Cedar Grove bus transfer center has poor lighting and a crime problem that has led the city to pay for police to man the facility.
Vice Mayor Anthony L. Burfoot once commented that "I would not allow my family to be out there."
Now four years after the city built the "temporary" center, which was erected on a paved-over mound of coal fly ash, Norfolk leaders are ready to construct a permanent one. Last week, Assistant City Manager Anne Odell unveiled a $5.5 million plan to move the bus transfer station to the site of a vacant ABC store at the old Downtown Plaza.

Posted Image

http://hamptonroads....on-bus-facility

wish they would focus first on the amtrack intermodal station

#2871 urbanlife

urbanlife

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

This looks like a very simple project for the city to complete. I wouldn't worry too much about the Amtrak project over this one. $5.5Million is a small project that will probably take no time to complete.

If this is done right, it could make for a great urban transfer station and give the SPQ a transit focus.

#2872 jeffconn

jeffconn

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Obvious question: Why there? I thought the bus transfer station was supposed to be at Harbor Park.

#2873 Ghentite

Ghentite

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Obvious question: Why there? I thought the bus transfer station was supposed to be at Harbor Park.

Yeah, I thought that was the whole point of the multi-modal transportation facility.

#2874 brikkman

brikkman

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, I thought that was the whole point of the multi-modal transportation facility.

Yeah, but I think its more aimmed towards what they want to do with st.pauls quad. They would be off making a smaller verison, which routes back over to harbor park. But I agree, I thought that was the whole point.

#2875 BFG

BFG

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

http://hamptonroads....ng-expectations

From the article:

Norfolk’s 7.4-mile starter light rail line, which launched six months ago Sunday, draws an average of 4,650 riders on weekdays and 4,850 on Saturdays. About 2,900 weekday riders was forecast.

#2876 urbanlife

urbanlife

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Well that is good news, I had a feeling the numbers would be higher than what was forecasted. Hopefully we will be hearing new talks of expansions soon.

#2877 Glassoul

Glassoul

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

Well that is good news, I had a feeling the numbers would be higher than what was forecasted. Hopefully we will be hearing new talks of expansions soon.

I'll repeat a post I made on this topic 4.5 years ago:

As for the ridership numbers they're proposing? Pie in the sky. They say at a minimum 6k riders a day, I bet its 2/3 of that MINIMUM number. Sure it'll be a novelty at first for some people, but that will quickly wear-off. You will not get people standing in 85-100 degree heat and humidity for 10-15 mins on a daily basis 6 months out of the year to ride something that covers such a limited area; and having to pay something approaching $3 a round trip to boot.

So I correctly predicted the ridership numbers, and that's still 2/3 of what they said would be the minimum (6k) 4.5 year ago. It's wonderful when you can look like a hero by moving the goal posts a year before startup and then exceed that number cause you've reduced it to some ridicously low figure. As for my last sentence, well.... when you subsidize the cost of a pass to the tune $10/year then that has the effect of artificially bumping your numbers up and destroying your revenue. Wonder how the taxpayers of Norfolk are going to react when they start seeing the net annual operating costs come in each year and realize increased coffee and slurpee sales tax doesn't cover the difference. Wonder whether they would want 2500 paying full fare or 4000 paying next to nothing, $10/yr is a pretty amazing deal to businesses.

Edited by Glassoul, 20 February 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#2878 brikkman

brikkman

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'll repeat a post I made on this topic 4.5 years ago:

As for the ridership numbers they're proposing? Pie in the sky. They say at a minimum 6k riders a day, I bet its 2/3 of that MINIMUM number. Sure it'll be a novelty at first for some people, but that will quickly wear-off. You will not get people standing in 85-100 degree heat and humidity for 10-15 mins on a daily basis 6 months out of the year to ride something that covers such a limited area; and having to pay something approaching $3 a round trip to boot.

So I correctly predicted the ridership numbers, and that's still 2/3 of what they said would be the minimum (6k) 4.5 year ago. It's wonderful when you can look like a hero by moving the goal posts a year before startup and then exceed that number cause you've reduced it to some ridicously low figure. As for my last sentence, well.... when you subsidize the cost of a pass to the tune $10/year then that has the effect of artificially bumping your numbers up and destroying your revenue. Wonder how the taxpayers of Norfolk are going to react when they start seeing the net annual operating costs come in each year and realize increased coffee and slurpee sales tax doesn't cover the difference. Wonder whether they would want 2500 paying full fare or 4000 paying next to nothing, $10/yr is a pretty amazing deal to businesses.

I guess it depends on how you view it as well, wouldn't it? In one sense, you suggest that they are not or should not make changes to their forecast? Either way you slice it, the feds approved it before the money was given. Now, we can debate about its economical use/viability, but that's a different subject as I see it.

and I guess you have to figure out how you view public transportation, is it for profit or is it to help your local economy? Most of us agree on this board that it is not a financial winner; however, we look to other reasons why we support it.

#2879 jeffconn

jeffconn

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

Here's an article talking about the 6 month anniversary of the Tide from a Washington, DC blog.
http://greatergreate...virginia-beach/

Ride The Tide of light rail, Virginia Beach

In the article, the author includes his dream map of the Tide going to the VB oceanfront.
http://g.co/maps/pk53j
I have to admit that i didn't think of cutting through the trailer park to get to the VB Convention Center. It makes sense. BTW, besides the normal naysayers, the commenters talk about the possible routes to the Naval Base.

#2880 zeppelin14

zeppelin14

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

I also agree that instead of just stopping at the oceanfront at 19th Street, go north to at least Neptune Park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users