Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Main @ Washington

• Please log in to reply
1931 replies to this topic

#681 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Great. Another women's/boutique store, albeit a national one.

Zzzzzz...

Another? This isn't a pink and green polka dot and monogramming shop. This is a significant retailer that will be a destination. No, I won't be shopping their either, but we might very well see spinoff from this investment by them. There's other retail parcels that remain to be rented...

#682 adrockc2

adrockc2

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

http://www.greenvill.../NEWS/305250054

"We’re already working on plans for future phases of the project, which could include residential and possibly even a hotel component,” said Hughes

#683 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Some may want to darken the doors of Anthropologie.....they have a huge home area in most stores. It isn't just womens clothes. Some may also want to check out Anthropologie's location in the Southeast....Lenox, Southpark, Green Hills, etc, etc....the best malls in larger cities. To get this type of retail downtown, in a city the size of Greenville is a huge win and will be a major draw.....ho-hum national retail would be Kohl's. Anthropologie falls into the Apple, Whole Foods, J.Crew type demographic.

Edited by gsupstate, 25 May 2011 - 02:27 PM.

#684 StrangeCock

StrangeCock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Obviously this is in another league. It's very impressive. But it's still a niche store. Very niche. 80% of Greenville will never step foot in it.

We need more "general audience" stores. Mast is a great example. Barnes and Noble would have been, as well. I pray the rest of the retail is more crowd-pleasing.

#685 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

The rendering of what looks to be a future phase along Laurens Street looks sweet! It's on the WYFF page.

#686 adrockc2

adrockc2

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

The rendering of what looks to be a future phase along Laurens Street looks sweet! It's on the WYFF page.

Posted Image

#687 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

THANKS! Very contemporary and yet, so contextual. I hope it happens in that capacity.

#688 RiverWalker

RiverWalker

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Why are so many websites poorly designed these days? They even misspelled downtown on the front page.

Many can design, few can proofread (or at least bother to do so). I was looking today at the Senior Action web site, apparently managed by RedHype, and noticed a number of typos, including one on the membership page in which the address is given as "Granville, SC 29615." (It's written that way on the membership application as well.) Such carelessness not only reflects poorly on Senior Action but also discourages those who otherwise might want to hire the web developer. Unfortunately, even though there are many sites that need the attention of a good editor or proofreader, the owners and developers don't realize that need, so marketing such services would be difficult.

#689 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Don't know if this has been posted or not:

-Anthropologie will be 6,400 square feet.

-Certus will hire 350 for their headquarters downtown.

#690 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Obviously this is in another league. It's very impressive. But it's still a niche store. Very niche. 80% of Greenville will never step foot in it.

Get real. If 50-52% of population is female, then at least that much of the population will visit it.

#691 GVLbikeNboard

GVLbikeNboard

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

So there are still two retail spots without a definite tenant? I would still like to see a bookstore and I think Urban Outfitters would be cool...some of their clothes are a little too hipster for me but they have some cool stuff.

#692 StrangeCock

StrangeCock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

50% of the population is female. And 50% of them can't afford Anthroplogie.

It's a nice complementary store, not a centerpiece. We needed something like Crate & Barrel there...upscale, big name, and not gender-specific. You see all kinds of people there.

#693 btoy

btoy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Who ever said that the signature tower is dead? Notice that todays annoucement didn't include he parking lot and old parking garage next to BofA at Washington and Richardson St. My guess is that would be the site for that tower. They may not totally know the scope, scale and makeup yet of that part of the project so why announce it.

#694 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Landing an Anthropologie is also nothing to be excited about. Hooray, a bland national chain store.

In your opinion. If a high-end national retailer like Anthropologie wants to come downtown then they have that right. Who are you to tell them otherwise? There are plenty of local retailers/restaurants downtown for you to patronize.

#695 btoy

btoy

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Who ever said that the signature tower is dead? Notice that todays annoucement didn't include he parking lot and old parking garage next to BofA at Washington and Richardson St. My guess is that would be the site for that tower. They may not totally know the scope, scale and makeup yet of that part of the project so why announce it.

#696 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

There are two spaces, but one APPEARS to be in the SECOND building, not the first.

#697 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

We need more "general audience" stores. Mast is a great example. Barnes and Noble would have been, as well. I pray the rest of the retail is more crowd-pleasing.

You have your "general audience" stores down the street....Mast General, CVS, etc and you have them in the burbs. You may be right about the 80% of Greenvillians not setting foot in Anthropologie (though I bet Anthropologie did their work, so my bets are on their corporate team more than a post on a forum :shades: ). Retailers open in packs and some even have loose agreements to open together when possible....(ie: find an Ann Taylor Loft and you'll probbaly find Talbots.....find a Crate & Barrel and you'll probably find a Container Store). In this digital age of the slicing and dicing of demographic lists, the opening of Anthropologie will bring an entire grouping of new to the market stores downtown......think REI opening at the point beside a proven successful Whole Foods........you didn't really think that was coincidence did you?

#698 HomerJay

HomerJay

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

In your opinion. If a high-end national retailer like Anthropologie wants to come downtown then they have that right. Who are you to tell them otherwise? There are plenty of local retailers/restaurants downtown for you to patronize.

Nobody said anything about their right to come downtown. I merely expressed my view that a mall-style retailer will have an effect on the character of the neighborhood which in my opinion is less than ideal. But thank you for giving me permission not to shop there.

#699 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

And at least 50% of them can't afford Anthroplogie.

That is NOT going to stop them from going in.

#700 B&R

B&R

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

This is a better looking design than the previous proposal that fell through. The suggested concept for the second phase is very attractive too. I would love to see some street activity on the north side of Washington to match the other side of the street. Also glad they have some major tenants lined up.

A little disappointed there isn't a taller tower involved but that isn't a deal breaker.

Is Anthropologie a regional draw that will pull in newer visitors in large numbers? Or will it take customers away from other, local shops? It should be very good for that part of Main Street in any case. Hopefully it will help surrounding retailers and encourage others to locate nearby.

It seems Certus Bank wants to be a big time player in the banking world. It would be great if they can do it from Greenville. It is interesting that these execs from Charlotte's big banks wanted to start up their new venture away from Charlotte. Are they trying to escape the taint of the problems at Wachovia and BoA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users