-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Forest Oaks Shopping Center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:42 AM

with all the things going on with the Chrysler Classic of Gso, i found this article published about a month ago concerning the former Winn-Dixie in Forest Oaks, how it is the only grocer for miles in the area, and I assumed Harris Teeter would replace it because they did bid on this store, but then the article was talking about Food Lion but that not happening..

The article is talking about the sewer system and how Forest Oaks is outside the Gso city limits

http://www.news-reco...NEWSREC02010301

Does anyone know what's happening there?

"What are they going to think when they drive past this decrepit shopping center?" Farmer said.

Posted Image

heres another article from the Rhino times, mainly about the septic system http://greensboro.rh...ory.html?id=909

#2 StevenRocks

StevenRocks

City

• Members+
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

The sewer failures and derilict shopping center are not directly a Greensboro problem, but it reflects badly on the city when visitors see it on the way to the golf tournament. Greensboro and Guilford County should work together to come up with a solution for those residents.

Cindy Farmer, by the way, got her start at WSLS-TV in Roanoke. She was cute back then too. :)

#3 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

^it does reflect badly...

does anyone know the state of the former Winn Dixie though or what it will potentially become?

#4 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:12 AM

On several occasions the city has refused purposed development the right to hook up to water. Now, they are offering incentives to build in the area. Makes sense to me.

#5 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

yeah.

anyway, they really do need a grocery store seeing as there isn't one within a 6 mile radius. I found out HT originally bid on it but then pulled out for some reason. The closest grocers are Alamance Church Road's SFM and Food Lion, and the HT, SFM and FL on Randlemand Road and then 10 miles south FL in Liberty

#6 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:21 AM

Walmart just opened store about the size of a city block at Elm/Eugene and 40 bypass. I hate walmart, but its better than nothing unless it scares away potential developers who might have put up something nice.

#7 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:23 AM

yeah i've been there. At least that Wal-mart is nicer/less crowded than Wendover (ew). But still, Southeast Guilford Co needs a grocery store at Forest Oaks

#8 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

I agree. I live in the area and something nice like Harris Teeter would be very welcome. Actually anything not owned by Agapion would be good.

#9 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

I wonder if the whole sewer line situation was the reason Harris Teeter pulled out their bid for the store

#10 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Harris Teeter wanted to go into the shopping center only on the condition that Agapion would sell the center to someone else. Only then would they invest the money to upfit the store in the usual manner. Agapion would't sell and they withdrew all offers. This is the story that I got from an extremely reliable source.

#11 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

wow. so this is Agapion's fault

#12 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:38 AM

Seems to be sort of a common theme when it comes to his properties. Everything he owns is run down, Forest Oaks is just one of many.

Edited by IknewIwasright, 12 November 2005 - 08:39 AM.

#13 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

What else does he own?

#14 jasoniman24

jasoniman24

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

I agree that everything Agapion owns is run-down. He owns the Cedar St apartments that are half burnt-down, the Heritage House apartments at the corner of Cone Blvd and Summit Ave, and many other apartments and houses. Greensboro threatened to condemn some of his houses if he did not fix them up. Then at the last minute, he would have them fixed just to barely meet code, and avoid condemnation. Then shortly thereafter, were in the same condition as before. WFMY and the N&R have done many stories on him over the years.

#15 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

He ownes property all over the state. Shopping centers, apartments, etc. Once he gets a hold of them, he never sells. Forest Oaks has sat more than half empty for a long time. Seems as if he would be losing money.

#16 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

yeah this guy sounds like a @$$#0(_3

#17 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

That sounds about right

#18 jasoniman24

jasoniman24

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

Just saw this week in the News & Record, the city of Greensboro has approved extending sewer service to Forest Oaks shopping center, provided that Bill Agapion foots the bill.

#19 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:15 AM

:lol: @

provided that Bill Agapion foots the bill.

Seriosuly though, this area needs a grocery

#20 IknewIwasright

IknewIwasright

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

I dont think Agapion has ever footed the bill for anything.