Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

New Super Wal-Mart/Sam's Club at X-Rite Site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,077 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

Just as I suspected, the current X-Rite plant on 44th is being eyed for a Super Wal-Mart and Sam's Club when X-Rite moves to Kentwood. Walmart would vacate the store at Kenowa and 44th by the highway. That store cannot be that old? It's kinda like the bonehead move that Target did on 28th. "Same Great Store, Just 1 Mile Further From You!" :P

http://www.mlive.com...s....xml&coll=6

Edited by GRDadof3, 20 September 2006 - 08:48 AM.

#2 gvsusean

gvsusean

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:49 AM

Damn.... I hate f****** wal-mart!!!!!!!

#3 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

Walmart would vacate the store at Kenowa and 44th by the highway. That store cannot be that old?

I think it's probably a visibility issue.

#4 mpchicago

mpchicago

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

I think it's probably a visibility issue.

Your right about the visibility. This location has a much better traffic count then Wal-Martís location on Kenowa. However, the real reason for the move would be their ability to go head to head with Meijer. Wal-Martís current location is a standard discount department store; the new one would be a Supercenter, with groceries. This would be the first time Meijer would compete directly with Wal-Mart in the immediate Grand Rapids area.

Consumers Reports has rated their grocery division pretty low with regards to quality and service, but their low prices seem to keep consumers coming back. I personally canít imagine buying anything form them let alone groceries!
:sick:

Edited by mpchicago, 11 October 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#5 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,077 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

Your right about the visibility. This location has a much better traffic count then Wal-Martís location on Kenowa. However, the real reason for the move would be their ability to go head to head with Meijer. Wal-Martís current location is a standard discount department store; the new one would be a Supercenter, with groceries. This would be the first time Meijer would compete directly with Wal-Mart in the immediate Grand Rapids area.

Consumers Reports has rated their grocery division pretty low with regards to quality and service, but their low prices seem to keep consumers coming back. I personally canít imagine buying anything form them let alone groceries!
:sick:

Yah, we went to that Kenowa location when we lived out there, and it was very "flea-market-ish". I don't even think we bought anything, we just left. If they take care of groceries the way they take care of general merchandise, YIKES! Don't buy the meat!!!!

#6 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:27 PM

I personally canít imagine buying anything form them let alone groceries!

I'm no longer allowed to enter one (according to the fiance). Fine by me :)

#7 Rizzo

Rizzo

City

• Members+
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

I wont even enter a Walmart.

#8 snoogit

snoogit

Town

• Members+
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

the only time I go into a walmart is to purchase video games if they are insanely cheap at walmart, and nowhere else.

#9 EastSideResider

EastSideResider

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

the only time I go into a walmart is to purchase video games if they are insanely cheap at walmart, and nowhere else.

^^I can't believe this!! :lol: In the south, we LIVE at wal-mart! HAHA :D

#10 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,077 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

I think Meijer has spoiled us. I have a new smiley you guys can use Posted Image

Ruuunnnnnn!!!!

#11 Nitro

Nitro

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

This has more truth to it then a lot of people know. After living in Georgia for two years I came to miss Meijer greatly. The Super Walmarts don't compare in quality or any other factor. There is no store in the south that is like Meijer.

Nitro

#12 fluffy

fluffy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

it is socially irresponsible to shop at walmart.

#13 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

it is socially irresponsible to shop at walmart.

quoted for truth.

#14 snoogit

snoogit

Town

• Members+
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

Heres what seperates the north from the south:

Posted Image

(click on the image, and the link goes to source)

#15 Nitro

Nitro

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

Heres what seperates the north from the south:

Posted Image

(click on the image, and the link goes to source)

:rofl: I love the "Awful House" as my wife calls it. Your cholesterol goes up 10 points just walking in the door.

Nitro

#16 ericnmu

ericnmu

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

Just as I suspected, the current X-Rite plant on 44th is being eyed for a Super Wal-Mart and Sam's Club when X-Rite moves to Kentwood. Walmart would vacate the store at Kenowa and 44th by the highway. That store cannot be that old? It's kinda like the bonehead move that Target did on 28th. "Same Great Store, Just 1 Mile Further From You!" :P

http://www.mlive.com...1040.xml&coll=6

When Target moved, they upgraded their store from a regular Target to a Super Target. This is the first Super Target in Michigan, as they are testing the market.

As far as Walmart goes, being stuck in the UP I am forced to shop at Walmart. I really wich Meijers would look into expanding up here, there is a large market for another 24hr chain gorcer. Marquette people have a lot of money (compare to the rest of the UP), and I know most people cant stand Walmart.

#17 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,077 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

When Target moved, they upgraded their store from a regular Target to a Super Target. This is the first Super Target in Michigan, as they are testing the market.

As far as Walmart goes, being stuck in the UP I am forced to shop at Walmart. I really wich Meijers would look into expanding up here, there is a large market for another 24hr chain gorcer. Marquette people have a lot of money (compare to the rest of the UP), and I know most people cant stand Walmart.

My wife has shopped at that Target, and she tells me it's almost exactly the same :huh: I thought that I heard they nixed the SuperTarget concept for that store??

And I don't envy you being in Marquette...

Edited by GRDadof3, 12 October 2005 - 09:08 AM.

#18 torgo

torgo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:08 AM

I havent been to a walmart in several years, and i plan on it staying that way :P If I have to go to one, its usually meijers or occasionally target

#19 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:08 AM

My wife has shopped at that Target, and she tells me it's almost exactly the same :huh: I thought that I heard they nixed the SuperTarget concept for that store??

My fiance was pretty excited about the 'Super Target' until we got there. I think you're right about them nixing it, because it's not that much different. Maybe a starbucks makes a super target? :D

Edited by twoshort, 12 October 2005 - 09:09 AM.

#20 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,077 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

My fiance was pretty excited about the 'Super Target' until we got there. I think you're right about them nixing it, because it's not that much different. Maybe a starbucks makes a super target? :D

So would that mean the Meijer at Knapp's Corner is a "Super-Meijer", since they have a Starbucks :P