Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

• Please log in to reply
1357 replies to this topic

#661 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

The city council will vote on Monday to sell Johnston and Mecklenburg Mills to Tuscan (presumably).
http://charmeck.org/...k5ufltvh/13.pdf

I think that the plans look good. It is certainly nice to see those buildings staying and becoming great TOD density for the NE light rail station.

#662 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

WBTV is shooting something for tonights news over at J & M Mills right now. Probably nothing we don't already know about, but still, I love to see SOMETHING happening finally.

#663 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:26 PM

The city council will vote on Monday to sell Johnston and Mecklenburg Mills to Tuscan (presumably).
http://charmeck.org/...k5ufltvh/13.pdf

I think that the plans look good. It is certainly nice to see those buildings staying and becoming great TOD density for the NE light rail station.

Outcome? Anyone know?

#664 ChiefJoJo

ChiefJoJo

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:35 AM

Outcome? Anyone know?

Is that the old mill to the NW of 36th and N Davidson? I was down there not long ago, and thought to myself 'whoever takes the time to refurbish that property right next to the LRT stop, will make a killing.'

It brings up an interesting question W/R/T NoDa that I saw Mary Newsome addressing in her blog. What will LRT do to NoDa? The area has already gentrified to some degree, but I think it's still got a lot of charm, and is kind of like a quaint little historic oasis in the city that lacks a lot of that kind of feel. She argues that since the area has no historic protections, it is going to get hit hard by TOD redevelopment. We've already seen the city doesn't mind not following their own plans (Harris TOD rezoning at Carson), so even a small area plan and a conext-sensitive zoning approach may not do much when a developer comes along. So, what will happen to the area?

#665 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Is that the old mill to the NW of 36th and N Davidson? I was down there not long ago, and thought to myself 'whoever takes the time to refurbish that property right next to the LRT stop, will make a killing.'

It brings up an interesting question W/R/T NoDa that I saw Mary Newsome addressing in her blog. What will LRT do to NoDa? The area has already gentrified to some degree, but I think it's still got a lot of charm, and is kind of like a quaint little historic oasis in the city that lacks a lot of that kind of feel. She argues that since the area has no historic protections, it is going to get hit hard by TOD redevelopment. We've already seen the city doesn't mind not following their own plans (Harris TOD rezoning at Carson), so even a small area plan and a conext-sensitive zoning approach may not do much when a developer comes along. So, what will happen to the area?

I swear I saw an Observer article saying the sale was approved, but I can't find it now to save my life.

As to Mary Newsome (and I responded as such in her blog):
I personally think its damned arrogant to say that we should freeze NoDa in time as it is today. Its such an eclectic mash-up of different kinds and styles of buildings from across the decades, who really thinks that there is some kind of "definitive" NoDa style? We should let it keep growing and evolving.

#666 Charlotte_native

Charlotte_native

City

• Members+
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

I personally think its damned arrogant to say that we should freeze NoDa in time as it is today. Its such an eclectic mash-up of different kinds and styles of buildings from across the decades, who really thinks that there is some kind of "definitive" NoDa style? We should let it keep growing and evolving.

These arguments have always bothered me as well. Who gets to choose which element of an area gets to be the definitive or permanent feel or setting? The artist who has lived there 3 years? The black family that has been there 20 years? The white family who's been there 50 years and are leftover from the mill days (check the old photos -- all workers were originally white)? The new yuppie who has been there 3 years? The drug dealer or prostitute who doesn't like the new neighbors who call the cops on them?

No neighborhood 'belongs' to any group. Problem is the double standard -- in the 70's when minorities began moving into former white neighborhoods it was decried as racism if you had a problem with it. Reverse the cylce and you are the big bad gentrifier. Truth is simply, everything is always in a constant state of motion and cycles and market forces change neighborhoods over and over again. White to black, black to hispanic, white to asian, back to white, on to mixed...

I personally prefer completely mixed neighborhoods in terms of race, demographic, income level, own to rent.

#667 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

^ Yep. And Confirmed. And also ^, Agreed.
Story

#668 ChiefJoJo

ChiefJoJo

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

^^^ BTW, I was referring to the potential for a massive change to the built environment in NoDa when the Blue Line comes through--NOT gentrification... ie, potential for tall bldgs to overtake old mills, galleries, shops with some grit and character. The buildings in NoDa are apparently not afforded historic protection, so what potential is there for redevelopment to alter the built landscape?

It's desirable and understandable to have the land by the stop redeveloped (towards N. Tryon) into a more dense collection of uses, but it would seem to also be desirable to keep the existing cluster of commercial buildings on & near N. Davidson in tact. I particularly like the old firehouse, among others.

#669 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Go to wikiplanning.org and use the password NODA. This is one of the community outreach items that CATS wants input toward.

#670 Charlotte_native

Charlotte_native

City

• Members+
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

^^^ BTW, I was referring to the potential for a massive change to the built environment in NoDa when the Blue Line comes through--NOT gentrification... ie, potential for tall bldgs to overtake old mills, galleries, shops with some grit and character. The buildings in NoDa are apparently not afforded historic protection, so what potential is there for redevelopment to alter the built landscape?

It's desirable and understandable to have the land by the stop redeveloped (towards N. Tryon) into a more dense collection of uses, but it would seem to also be desirable to keep the existing cluster of commercial buildings on & near N. Davidson in tact. I particularly like the old firehouse, among others.

I really hope those survive. I suspect they will, at least for quite a while. Consider that for all the redevelopment in Southend that came with rail, the Camden buildings (very similar to NoDa's) have all made it and have interesting, mostly locally owned, thriving businesses.

Right now there is plenty of land along the rail line in and through NoDa that is somewhat underdeveloped and doesn't include these great buildings that the cost to get the 'good ones' will likely push developers to the industrial sites and other easier projects. Doesn't the developer of Renaissance already have land on the west side of the tracks? Merrifield Partners bought large tracts already (Newco Fibres site), and it seems Tuscan is getting the mills.

There is a boarded up commercial slot right in the middle of everything that is for sale -- if I'm not mistaken they want $1.5million for it. Way too much for anyone to buy and open a business and way to much for a developer to make use of (site is small, i think 1/3 acre). This is a property that once housed a local business -- a pool hall -- and is being sold by the old time owners. High prices like this, and the high value of the existing buildings along the main drag, will likely save these.

The developer of The Mercury is also saving and renovating the Neighborhood Theatre building and those attached -- that is a good sign of what will hopefully continue in the area.

#671 28202

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Looks like the Graffiti art project on the new FatCity building will be done on the 19th of September. Not sure how to link the Observer story by Doug Smith.

#672 voyager12

voyager12

Town

• Members+
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

I know lots of people need storage but I was hoping the building close to Jordan and North Davidson would be utilized in a more interactive manner. Seems like a great spot for studio spaces or a market. That stretch is still a depressing dead zone approach to NoDa. The center housing Amelie and a few other businesses are to the side and tucked away making no impact on the streetscape. Oh Well. At least the NoDa Storage sign is kind of cool.

#673 InitialD

InitialD

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

Looks like the Graffiti art project on the new FatCity building will be done on the 19th of September. Not sure how to link the Observer story by Doug Smith.

I know he mentioned it in his blog.

A few NoDa Fat City photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#674 AntB

AntB

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

I know lots of people need storage but I was hoping the building close to Jordan and North Davidson would be utilized in a more interactive manner. Seems like a great spot for studio spaces or a market. That stretch is still a depressing dead zone approach to NoDa. The center housing Amelie and a few other businesses are to the side and tucked away making no impact on the streetscape. Oh Well. At least the NoDa Storage sign is kind of cool.

Perhaps once 28th Row goes up it will help that little spot.

#675 voyager12

voyager12

Town

• Members+
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

Ooops..I was so used to it being vacant I forgot to look at the progress at 28ro. That will be a nice boost to that block and help the shops next door.

#676 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

Steel Gardens is really looking amazing. I love the area, the work, the design the feel. It's amazing to look back over these threads and see this thing when it was called Herrin Towers.

The reason I was looking back was because I was trying to find a rendering of what Bonterra calls "Tower houses" on the site. There are 4 of them to be built. They are doing foundation work for them now.

The 3 story townhomes are great looking. I can live without the single family style houses fronting Herrin. And the 5 story interior condo buildings are coming to completion now too - I have no opinion on them now other than they are bigger than I thought.

But that whole little district feels very safe and comfortable.

#677 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

laborday_019.jpg

#678 voyager12

voyager12

Town

• Members+
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

I like the angles and street centered design. Much better than Renaissance, which is so lifeless IMHO.

#679 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Bikecop patrols are out in good force tonight for the Nelly concert at Neighborhood Theater. It's a good atmosphere around here. No complaints.

#680 atlrvr

atlrvr

City

• Moderators
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I'm quoting this from the Intermodal Yards thread.

The Gateway development has been called "Yards at Noda," and you won't find much info about it, but the grading is done and waiting. There is another rezoning ap and project just north too: I made a map a couple months ago. Most of this is north of the Matheson St. bridge though. (How can I get a jpg of a google map - I stole mine from Dubone).

A little bit more about this project. It will be 340 units, and all rental, at least in the intial phase.

Construction is set to begin in November.

This is the same developer as The Colony and The Renaissance further up Davidson, so I'm not holding my breath for quality construction.

Site Plan.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users