-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

University of Arkansas Projects

• Please log in to reply
891 replies to this topic

#881 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yeah I noticed that.  lol  I can't say I really have a problem with the building itself.  I just wasn't very crazy about it's placement and location.   :)

I agree.  Any other part of campus I would have been ok with it.  

#882 KJW

KJW

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Fascinating...a building in Fayetteville (no matter how rough it is to look at) ties with a Columbia U. /New York CIty and a Santa Monica structure for "Building of the year".

Northwest Arkansas just keeps getting in on things...

#883 TRB

TRB

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

It looks like a giant Tetris piece slapped on a fine building and this is a building of the year? Architects and their circle jerks.

• JamesE likes this

#884 thewizard16

thewizard16

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

A little red meat for you to chew on...Building of the Year.

Ugh. They didn't need positive reinforcement for putting random modern crap on traditional collegiate buildings. 

#885 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Fascinating...a building in Fayetteville (no matter how rough it is to look at) ties with a Columbia U. /New York CIty and a Santa Monica structure for "Building of the year".

Northwest Arkansas just keeps getting in on things...

That's a good way too look at it, but I also echo the thought that I hope this doesn't encourage more traditional/modern hybrids on the campus.  

Marlon is obviously highly respected.  I read where the plan he helped create for Little Rock's creative corridor is winning national awards, too.

#886 UrbanArkie

UrbanArkie

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

That is one media source I am unsubscribing from.

From the photos, the interior spaces are nice.

#887 JamesE

JamesE

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

It looks like a giant Tetris piece slapped on a fine building and this is a building of the year? Architects and their circle jerks.

Yep.  It's like driving a brand new Ferrari to a classic Mustang rally; it's a great car, but it doesn't exactly fit the theme.  As a structure, it's very nice; it's the location and the fact that it's Borg'ed onto a very large, very traditional-looking building at the heart of campus that's the problem.  It seems UA has had a number of these gee-whiz, award winning modernist projects over the years that looked totally out-of-place when built and then age poorly; time will tell if this thing looks retro or just plain dated a few decades from now.  In my opinion, a great campus like Ohio State, for instance, looks great because the new buildings fit with the old buildings and the old buildings are renovated to look much like the new buildings.

#888 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I walked by the site of the new academic building along Dickson Street and took a photo of their updated rendering.

Its kinda crappy, but it will sit really low.  You can see that the site slopes down from the street before leveling out.  It won't have much of an impact visually, and its actually going to look better than what was there before (greenhouses, small office building).

Attached Thumbnails

• champions hall 1.jpg

#889 TRB

TRB

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Any news on the on campus hotel?

#890 fdeldred

fdeldred

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

UA says no hurry on building hotel

#891 wmr

wmr

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

UAMSNW ready to start its Doctor of Physical Therapy program in Fayetteville in 2015.  This will be the only PT school in the UAMS system.

http://www.uamshealt...nid=10132&cid=5

Now maybe we can get the dental school, too.

• Mith242 likes this

#892 thewizard16

thewizard16

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

UAMSNW ready to start its Doctor of Physical Therapy program in Fayetteville in 2015.  This will be the only PT school in the UAMS system.

http://www.uamshealt...nid=10132&cid=5

Now maybe we can get the dental school, too.

The eventual dental school will most likely be based in Little Rock.

Edited by thewizard16, 09 April 2014 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users