Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Regency Mall

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

I think it would be nice to have a regional park at that location, as that area really dosn't have any substantial parkspace, unless you count the cemetery across the street.

Or it could be a good site for a vocational magnet school..

From what I understand.. the interior of the mall area is infested with mold and there are large cracks visible in the structure because of an unstable foundation. At some point, the bulk of the structure will have to be demolished.

Edited by Disgusta, 10 December 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#42 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

It didn't succeed as a mall because Augusta is not a large enough market for two major enclosed shopping malls, especially two so close together. Augusta Mall won out because it had better visibility and a better location right on I520.. and it was on the westside of town which is where the popoluation growth is occuring. If another mall ever opens in the area, it would likely be built along I20 in Columbia County. As far as Augusta growing... well that's simply not true.. Since 1990 Augusta has lost population overall. The area that is growing is Columbia County.. that's why all of the retail growth is occuring in that area.. not along Gordon Hwy.

When you start seeing churches the area is in a decline. What have you seen new birth in atlanta, are you crazy. These are not churches, these are mega churches. Usually these churches not only build someplace to worship. But they build daycares, schools, residential areas, and other things on the same property. A basketball gym is another thing these churches build, so i it sounds like it will do good. I know banks, and resturants will open around because the congregation will definitely use them. Macedonia doesn't own the whole mall, so the other part of the mall could be anything we don't know yet.

#43 augga706

augga706

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

No one said that the predominance of churches in an area means it is in a decline, but when churches start inhabiting former retail sites such as malls, it indicates that these former retail sites are not attractive to actual busineses.. so all that's left to fill these vacant buildings are churches or government agencies. Also remember that churches are tax exempt... they pay no property tax to the county.
You have tons of churches in east Augusta.. in some of Augusta's poorest neighborhoods.. the presence of a church does not necessarily become catalyst for BUSINESS growth in the area.. If that was the case then the Laney Walker area should be the most economically vibrant part of metro Augusta..
Just because a church inhabits the montgomery ward building is not going to make the rest of the mall any more attractive to businesses. It is certainly better than the building sitting empty..

What mega church is there near laney walker area because there aren't any. I only know of a small church on laney walker near 10th st. and thats it. Macedonia is one of the biggest churches in augusta its not a small one. Thats why im saying that, if it was just a small church then it would be diffrent. But macedonia congregation is huge and has alot of middle class and upper middle class people who attend. Im sure when they move to regency mall the congregation will grow because they have more seating

Edited by augga706, 10 December 2007 - 04:49 PM.

#44 augga706

augga706

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

It didn't succeed as a mall because Augusta is not a large enough market for two major enclosed shopping malls, especially two so close together. Augusta Mall won out because it had better visibility and a better location right on I520.. and it was on the westside of town which is where the popoluation growth is occuring. If another mall ever opens in the area, it would likely be built along I20 in Columbia County. As far as Augusta growing... well that's simply not true.. Since 1990 Augusta has lost population overall. The area that is growing is Columbia County.. that's why all of the retail growth is occuring in that area.. not along Gordon Hwy.

When is the last time you came to augusta, so of your comments don't make sense. If you lived in augusta you would know a new mall is about to open in richmond county. The new mall will be built in richmond county not columbia county. The village at riverwatch which is already under construction this year is in richmond county. Columbia county won't get a mall probably for atleast 5 to 10 years from now. And as far as augusta growing its true, august mall expanded this year, the forum, and village of riverwatch are all in richmond county. I can tell you don't know whats going on in augusta. The village of riverwatch is set to open in richmond county in 2009, and the forum and 300,000 lifestyle center in richmond county is set to open in 08/09. All the high end retail will be in richmond county sorry, you are wrong again

Edited by augga706, 10 December 2007 - 04:56 PM.

#45 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

The point being that while it is certainly better to have a mega church at the site than nothing at all.. But it is premature at best to conclude that this is going to become a catalyst for future business growth at the defunct mall. Actually what it indicates is that there is no business interest in the mall and no plans for any. For that area to become an attractive business location there will have to be a significant demographic shift..significant population growth and rising incomes. For the most part the incomes in that area are on the lower end of the scale. I do not see the presence of a megachurch reversing this trend in the area. Business look at numbers.. because they rae in the business of making money.. and the money simply isn't in that area. Megachurches can have huge congregations.. but will they all live in that area.. probably not..

#46 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

That location is practically right on the Richmond/Columbia County border right on I20..it is being built where it is because of its visibilty and access to I20 and its location near the high growth areas of NE Columbia County. This is also going to be a lifestyle center.. not an enclosed shopping mall. There are no plans in the near furture to build another enclosed shopping mall in the area.

When is the last time you came to augusta, so of your comments don't make sense. If you lived in augusta you would know a new mall is about to open in richmond county. The new mall will be built in richmond county not columbia county. The village at riverwatch which is already under construction this year is in richmond county. Columbia county won't get a mall probably for atleast 5 to 10 years from now. And as far as augusta growing its true, august mall expanded this year, the forum, and village of riverwatch are all in richmond county. I can tell you don't know whats going on in augusta. The village of riverwatch is set to open in richmond county in 2009, and the forum and 300,000 lifestyle center in richmond county is set to open in 08/09. All the high end retail will be in richmond county sorry, you are wrong again

#47 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

Just why do you think all of these new shopping centers being built in Richmond County are being built in the extreme NW portion of the county... and not the southside or Hephzibah, or the eastside? The Forum shopping center will also be about a stone's throw from the Columbia County border.. because that is where most of the population growth is. Also don't forget about all of the shopping centers that have opened in Columbia County or are planned to open..., Mullins Crossing, Marshall Square(another mixed use lifestyle center), Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart Super center.

#48 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

You also might want to note all of the abandoned or nearly abandone strip malls throughout Richmond County when you talk about all of this retail growth...

#49 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

There is also a big difference between West Richmond County and the rest of the county.. This thread was about Regency mall and its general area.. where is all of this high end retail in that area?

You also might want to note all of the abandoned or nearly abandone strip malls throughout Richmond County when you talk about all of this retail growth...

#50 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

Where the growth is REALLY occurring in metro Augusta area:

Columbia County
http://factfinder.ce...P...n&pctxt=fph

Richmond County
http://factfinder.ce...P...=&_industry=

As you can see.. Columbia County has added over 17,000 new residents in 6 years.. in the same time period Richmond County lost over 5,000 residents.

Edited by Disgusta, 10 December 2007 - 05:42 PM.

#51 augga706

augga706

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

Just why do you think all of these new shopping centers being built in Richmond County are being built in the extreme NW portion of the county... and not the southside or Hephzibah, or the eastside? The Forum shopping center will also be about a stone's throw from the Columbia County border.. because that is where most of the population growth is. Also don't forget about all of the shopping centers that have opened in Columbia County or are planned to open..., Mullins Crossing, Marshall Square(another mixed use lifestyle center), Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart Super center.

What are you talking about the village is closer to aiken county than columbia county. Richmond county is adding lifestyle centers not shopping centers like columbia county. Shopping centers are just strip malls with stores like ross, marshalls, and others, lifestyle centers are totally diffrent. The forum will have retail and residential so its not a shopping center. The village will have hotels, so its not large strips malls like mullins crossing is in coumbia conunty. At first you complain about evans in the columbia county thread now you praise it in another for the large strip malls, and adding lowes, and home depot. Make up your mind, you said in the evans thread this isn't something that gets you excited. Now you're acting like columbia county is getting some retail that richmond isn't. You say the forum is in the nw portion of the county i dont think walton way is the nw portion of of the county, sorry.

You always complain with anything about augusta so who really cares, you leave 6 replys in a row like that makes your point more valid

Richmond county retail
pf changs
the chop house
costco
hollister
buckle
coach
williams and sonoma
coldwater creek

columbia county doesn't have any of these stores end of discussion.

Edited by augga706, 10 December 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#52 PJA

PJA

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

That location is practically right on the Richmond/Columbia County border right on I20..it is being built where it is because of its visibilty and access to I20 and its location near the high growth areas of NE Columbia County. This is also going to be a lifestyle center.. not an enclosed shopping mall. There are no plans in the near furture to build another enclosed shopping mall in the area.

A lifestyle center of that size is considered an "open air mall". It has the same type of stores that malls have. The reason why there are no plans to build an enclosed mall is being because lifestyle centers are more popular. The offer the same stores you find in malls but provide a better shopping experience. If enclosed malls were still in, then that's what Village at Riverwatch would have been. As a matter of fact, if you read some of the earlier articles about the Village at Riverwatch, you will see that the developers were actually planning on building an enclosed mall. But Dillards (who are no longer part of the project) suggested a lifestyle center because they thought it would be a nicer addtion to the area and I agree. Columbia County residents don't really want all of that development out where they are so it will be a while before you see any regional shopping areas...if at all.

I do agree with your earlier comment about the Regency Mall being demolished. It's an eyesore.

Edited by PJA, 10 December 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#53 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

People back in the late 70s knew that one of the two malls woud not survive.
There was a race back then to open one mall before the other. Regency opened about a week before Augusta mall.
Augusta mall had the clear advantage though. It was right off the freeway and had high visibility.. IT was closer to I20 which made it more accessible for shoppers from South Carolina, Columbia County and McDuffie County.
Augusta mall also was able to attract retailers that area shoppers considered to be more upscale than Regency's selection.

Augusta mall continued to expand and update its appearance. Regency Mall, in its lifespan, never updated its late 1970s appearance and never expanded. Infact when it opened large sections of the mall were vacant such as the south wing that was envisioned to accomodate another anchor store.. It never did.. and the mall was never full of tenants during its lifespan.

Fewer and fewer large enclosed shopping malls are being built today in favor of the open air lifestyle center concept like The Village at Riverwatch. But the concept of The Village has changed since Augusta Mall announced its expansion with a lifestyle center. It's believed some of the stores that were initially going to locate at The Village ended up at The Augusta Mall lifestyle center. MGHerring, the developer of The Village, initially wanted to incorporate the nearby canal in its plans.. creating a CanalWalk, but The Canal Authority nixed that idea..

So far the announced anchors are Belk and Costco... an 18 cinema movieplex is also planned.
Dillards was initially touted as a tenant but it is no longer mentioned. It will be interesting to see how they are able to incorporate a Costco into the Village atmosphere they are promoting. Hopefully it won't have the typical "Big Box" warehouse look of other Costcos.

Something tells me that MGHerring made significant changes to their Village concept after Augusta Mall announced its lifestyle center. The project was put on hold but now it appears to be on track. It will be interesting to see the end result. I just hope it turns out to be a pedestrian open air village concept like it was originally touted as and not another Power strip center like Augusta Exchange.

#54 socaguy

socaguy

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

Not true about Regency Mall not updating. While it didnt go through massive renovations I can remember back in the mid-80's when they renovated some.

Oh...and they have incorporated Costcos into Lifestyle Centers/Mixed Use developments like this. The one in Greenville is in a development like this....with highrise residentail planned even!

#55 jungletobacco

jungletobacco

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

I think with the fall line freeway completion the regency property will be a good investment. As long as the development is on the richnond county side of the border we get the tax dollars. When the Village is complete will get the Aiken County tax dollars since its alot closer to northAugusta than Evans. St Sabastian and Palmetto Parkway will may Augusta alot more accessible, inturn allow more traffic in the city. I still think my beach idea is the best...hahahaha

#56 rbp

rbp

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

Regency failed for a lot of reasons. Not sure what "South Wing" you're referring to unless you mean the Theater entrance. The mall was definitely too big for Augusta. Belk's didn't open on the north wing for, I think, several years after it opened. Cullum's, arguably the highest class local department store, barely opened in the mall before the chain closed. That anchor position went through many incarnations, none lasting very long. I agree that the building was never fully leased and never made real attempts to improve its appearance. I could have sworn that Montgomery Ward had closed its doors in the early 90s as well, though reports here list it as being the last anchor standing. There was no attempt to centralize the restaurants into a food court and the shopping center and theater they added on really were a last gasp attempt to save the place.

In general, though, businesses succeed where the money is. In Augusta, that's generally the north side of town. I doubt there's much that can be done with the place now. A church is not going to save it. If the congregation has the money, they're going to want to build their own place, not try to make a mall fit their needs.

#57 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

I have never understood why people romanticize shopping malls.
I remember when Regency Mall opened.. It was never an attractive building to begin with.
I wish more people would be concerned about what to do with all of the abandoned historic buildings in downtown Augusta then what happens to an ugly circa 1978 shopping mall that probably never should have been built in the first place.

#58 PJA

PJA

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

I have never understood why people romanticize shopping malls.
I remember when Regency Mall opened.. It was never an attractive building to begin with.
I wish more people would be concerned about what to do with all of the abandoned historic buildings in downtown Augusta then what happens to an ugly circa 1978 shopping mall that probably never should have been built in the first place.

It's an eyesore. I want the whole city to look good, not just downtown. They need to do something with that property.

#59 Disgusta

Disgusta

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

It's an eyesore. I want the whole city to look good, not just downtown. They need to do something with that property.

I agree its an eyesore.. so have it demolished. Why is it so hard for the city of Augusta to enforce building codes? There are numerous eyesores throughout the city. If the city got tough and started fining these property owners.. the problems would be fixed quickly.
But ideas to move the government center and the arena to regency mall are wrongheaded.. because they would have a profoundly negative impact on downtown.

But I think a vocational magnet school on that property would be a good idea. The School system already owns the back parcel where General Cinemas (not the one inside the mall, but behind it). They would have the powers of emininet domain since a school would be a public use of the property. A magnet school makes since because it would draw students from all over the county.. and the regency mall is a central location and easily accessible. Investments in public education has one of the highest returns.

#60 augga706

augga706

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

last month, New York-based Cardinale Holdings LLC, the owner of the bulk of the mall property, acquired the former Montgomery Ward building from a Charleston, S.C., investment group for $2.3 million. Under approval by the Augusta Commission, the principals at Johnson Consulting have put together a “community leadership group” that includes area business leaders to create a public-private venture to redevelop the land. Developers say the 75 acre site is no longer called regency mall. But Rocky Creek or Center City.
proposals: government complex, factory outlet stores, sports complex, hard rock cafe & hotel, vocational or magnet school, college. And many others. They say this is the most attention the property has gotten since montgomery ward closed in 2000.

Edited by augga706, 03 January 2008 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users