Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Northwest Arkansas on Google Earth/Street View

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 thewizard16

thewizard16

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

You can go to www.yellowpages.com/maps and then search for your house and it'll actually show your house. The picture is much more clearer than that of Google Earth. Should check it out sometime, it's pretty cool.

That's just Microsoft Virtual Earth... it's what they use for Live Maps ( maps.live.com ). I prefer it about 95% of the time over Google Earth. It is clearer, and often it gets closer, and most of NWA was updated last year or the year before that. In larger cities you can use it and go down on the street in 3D mode... pretty neat.

#22 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

It's interesting but I think I still prefer Google Earth.

#23 Architect

Architect

Burg

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Of possible interest on the NWA forum, Google just released "Street View" for greater Little Rock/central Arkansas. Just go online to Google Maps, click on the "Street View" tab (where you can pan out and see what cities its available for), then have fun...its extremely addictive.

Here is the link for the discussion and interesting "view" links from the Little Rock Forum:
http://www.urbanplan...-Ro-t45669.html

#24 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

Of possible interest on the NWA forum, Google just released "Street View" for greater Little Rock/central Arkansas. Just go online to Google Maps, click on the "Street View" tab (where you can pan out and see what cities its available for), then have fun...its extremely addictive.

Here is the link for the discussion and interesting "view" links from the Little Rock Forum:
http://www.urbanplan...-Ro-t45669.html

Yeah I noticed this over on the Little Rock forum. Pretty cool. Too bad NWA is probably pretty far down the list. I get the impression it will be a while before they get here. But still cool they've done a big section of central Arkansas.

#25 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

There were rumors last year about Google street view possibly doing NWA. I talked to someone today who gave me the impression NWA now has street view. But when I looked around I didn't see it. I'm still seeing only central Arkansas having it. Anybody else seen or heard anything?

#26 cozmosis

cozmosis

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

There were rumors last year about Google street view possibly doing NWA. I talked to someone today who gave me the impression NWA now has street view. But when I looked around I didn't see it. I'm still seeing only central Arkansas having it. Anybody else seen or heard anything?

Not sure where you're looking... but NWA is there:
http://maps.google.c...137511802175723

In fact, dang near the whole state is on Street View. The most noticeable omission is southeast Arkansas.

#27 fayettevilleflyer

fayettevilleflyer

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Yup, NWA's got it now. Here's a quick post we did on it with some instructions on how to use it. They've changed things up a bit.
Google Maps Street View arrives

#28 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Ironically I googled it and got an older article on the Fayetteville Flyer but not that article. I also checked on Google's street view and it only listed Little Rock.
Hmmm...is it just me or is it really slow? I have pretty good internet but I've been sitting here for a while still waiting for it to load.

#29 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

Maybe I need to change some settings or something. I let it set there while I went and got ready for work and it still says it's loading. It gives me a basic html page but of course street view isn't on it.

#30 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Just noticed that it looks like Live Traffic has been added to part of I-540 on Google Earth. So far looks like they have the Fulbright Expressway in Fayetteville south to the end of I-540 near Ft Smith. But I'd assume they'll eventually get around to adding the rest of I-540 northward into Benton County. I use Google Earth pretty frequently and haven't noticed it before., so I think this is a pretty recent addition. I'm also seeing Live Traffic in other areas of the state as well. Looks like all of I-40 and I-30. Also some of the other interstates around central Arkansas. Even one of the highways in northeast Arkansas. Not sure when other areas of the state were done or maybe if it all just came about recently. I tend to focus mainly check out NWA on it.

#31 strmchsr77

strmchsr77

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I noticed that on Monday on my iphone on the way back up for the week. It looks like it has all major highways and interstates now. It is pretty impressive, I wonder how it works.

#32 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, I noticed that on Monday on my iphone on the way back up for the week. It looks like it has all major highways and interstates now. It is pretty impressive, I wonder how it works.

Yeah I've wondered how they get that info as well.

#33 thewizard16

thewizard16

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Yeah I've wondered how they get that info as well.

I haven't checked the Coffee House in a while, but I can answer the Google Live Traffic question... There is no current traffic "monitoring" program in place anywhere in NWA (or really, Little Rock). That data, you'll notice, is random and the coverage changes constantly. Sometimes other streets pop up with traffic data, sometimes there aren't any at all. If you look at a city like Dallas, lots of minor thoroughfares have data. The reason that happens is the data is actually collected off of cell phone transmissions. Any cell phone running Google applications that are GPS capable are anonymously tracked by Google and the data including speed and position are plotted against a street map with speed limit data, and voilà, Live Traffic is born. Accident reports and other things in larger areas are obtained through traditional means like radio band monitoring and existing traffic services, but the rest of it is cell-phone tracking. It's a bit creepy from the "Google knows everything" point of view, but it's a remarkable use of data that's already being collected or monitored one way or another to provide a pretty useful service. I used it all the time in Dallas and Houston.

#34 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

I haven't checked the Coffee House in a while, but I can answer the Google Live Traffic question... There is no current traffic "monitoring" program in place anywhere in NWA (or really, Little Rock). That data, you'll notice, is random and the coverage changes constantly. Sometimes other streets pop up with traffic data, sometimes there aren't any at all. If you look at a city like Dallas, lots of minor thoroughfares have data. The reason that happens is the data is actually collected off of cell phone transmissions. Any cell phone running Google applications that are GPS capable are anonymously tracked by Google and the data including speed and position are plotted against a street map with speed limit data, and voilà, Live Traffic is born. Accident reports and other things in larger areas are obtained through traditional means like radio band monitoring and existing traffic services, but the rest of it is cell-phone tracking. It's a bit creepy from the "Google knows everything" point of view, but it's a remarkable use of data that's already being collected or monitored one way or another to provide a pretty useful service. I used it all the time in Dallas and Houston.

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I eventually saw something mentioning some of that but never came back to post that here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users