Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

The Great Dubai Wheel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcheiss

mcheiss

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

The tallest observation wheel in the world will be built in Dubai, after a deal between UAE-based Allied Investment House and Las Vegas-based Voyager Entertainment. The Observation Wheel will cost $150 Million and be 600ft tall.

It will have 30 orbiter capsules with a total capacity of 7.5m guests per year. The project also includes a restaurant and condominiums.

It will open to the public in 2008.

The Great Dubai Wheel will be significantly larger than the London Eye, which was recently voted the best tourist attraction in the world. Located in a prime area of Dubailand, the Great Dubai Wheel will further enhance Dubai's reputation as a leading world city, featuring iconic, unparalleled architectural structures. It will sharply raise the visibility of Dubailand.

During the exciting journey on the wheel, the visitor will be able to view distances of up to 50 kilometres and hence will be able to see all the wonders of Dubai. Like the London Eye, the Great Dubai Wheel will attract additional visitors to Dubai giving them an ideal opportunity to plan their stay during the interactive ride on the wheel.

The motivation behind the project is to set up a new landmark structure that matches Dubai's image as an international attraction of the greatest quality standard.

The Greatest Wheel of Observation is a perfect example of mutually beneficial cooperation between two great institutions - Dubailand and Great Wheel Corporation. It shows how the best from across the world can find rewarding opportunities in the beneficial investment and business environment of Dubai and the UAE.

Dubailand, which is fast coming up on 3 billion square feet of land, will be the region's - if not the world's largest and most comprehensive entertainment, tourism, leisure and lifestyle community offering something for everyone.

No pics yet.

#2 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,753 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

Any idea how much bigger it will be compared to the London Eye?

#3 mcheiss

mcheiss

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

I think the London Eye is around 450 feet.

So about 150 feet taller than the London Eye.

#4 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,753 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

I think the London Eye is around 450 feet.

So about 150 feet taller than the London Eye.

Okay thanks for the info Matt.

#5 malec

malec

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

I think this is in Abu Dhabi, or else it's been moved somewhere else out of the country.

#6 mcheiss

mcheiss

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

I think this is in Abu Dhabi, or else it's been moved somewhere else out of the country.

I thought they said they were going to build one in Abu Dhabi as well.