-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Bruno's grocery stores

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#321 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Kroger claims 10 stores in Alabama. In addition to the ones you named, also Hartselle, Decatur, and Madison. They also have a closed store in Talledega and are marketing the site for sale. Compare with 175 in Georgia, 121 in Tennessee and 32 in Mississippi. Expansion in Alabama would seem to be a good idea for them.

Thanks. I missed those stores. The closed store in Talladega was actually a former Food World store that closed in 2005. Bruno's bought it from Kroger in the 1980s when Kroger all but exited Alabama. There was an understanding between Bruno's and Kroger at that time that Kroger would for the most part stay out of the Bruno's operating area. There would not be anything left to hold them back now.

#322 j.midtown

j.midtown

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Thanks. I missed those stores. The closed store in Talladega was actually a former Food World store that closed in 2005. Bruno's bought it from Kroger in the 1980s when Kroger all but exited Alabama. There was an understanding between Bruno's and Kroger at that time that Kroger would for the most part stay out of the Bruno's operating area. There would not be anything left to hold them back now.

Thanks for the clarification on the Talladega store; I had just noticed it on the Kroger Real Estate site. If they did acquire more stores in AL and the contractual issue is moot, it would seem to be a good idea to open there, although there is a Wal*Mart practically within spitting distance of that site. Kroger's strong position in the Auburn market would seem to position them well for the Birmingham metro; AU grads moving there are already in the habit of shopping with them.

#323 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

They need to find a buyer for these stores ASAP! The Anniston Star reported today that the Oxford Foodmax will close in May if they don't find a buyer. This is hurting business for the stores! The quicker they get some company in that can run these stores, the better off everyone will be!

#324 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hey yall.......is it just me or i everyone beginning to get a little scared?

Anyway talked to a lady from the Kroger Co today and she of course could not comennt on the situation.
But she did give me a number to the main Kroger corp offices. She said when you call to ask for Acquisitions. Maybe if enough of us call Kroger get the message that we want them!!!!!

here is the number 1-513-762-4000 call it between 8-5 EST.

lets hope this works!!!

#325 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hey yall.......is it just me or i everyone beginning to get a little scared?

Anyway talked to a lady from the Kroger Co today and she of course could not comennt on the situation.
But she did give me a number to the main Kroger corp offices. She said when you call to ask for Acquisitions. Maybe if enough of us call Kroger get the message that we want them!!!!!

here is the number 1-513-762-4000 call it between 8-5 EST.

lets hope this works!!!

Thanks FomerCashier! I for one will definitely be calling them tomorrow! I had thought about passing out the number to Kroger's corporate office to our customers, allowing them to voice to Kroger how much they want the store to stay open and to become a Kroger! I had emailed Kroger back in February, and got a pretty much "pre packaged" response. This is what they sent me on Feb. 15:

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. We appreciate your comments and
suggestion to open stores in your area. Although we are unaware of plans for
future stores in the Birmingham. AL area, we do look at real estate
opportunities on an ongoing basis and we are always interested in expanding.
Your comments will be forwarded to our Real Estate Department for their review.

Thanks again for sharing this information with us. Please let us know if we can
be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Russ Taylor
Consumer Affairs

Reference: 6363999

Edited by Chris322, 30 March 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#326 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

hey chris you are welcome.........

and i see so many typos in my posting haha guess the batteries in the wireless keyboard goin bad. so do you think will we hear somethin in the next few days since they now have until what the 4th to talk to the unions???

Edited by FormerCashier, 30 March 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#327 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

hey chris you are welcome.........

and i see so many typos in my posting haha guess the batteries in the wireless keyboard goin bad. so do you think will we hear somethin in the next few days since they now have until what the 4th to talk to the unions???

They are having the hearing on the 2nd. The union says it was planning to talk to potential buyers, thus the postponement of the hearing. I feel that we may know something next week. We have been told there will be potential buyers in the Birmingham market today and tomorrow, so who knows. In the court documents, the company had filed a motion for approval of bidding procedures. In those procedures, they called for opening bids to become the "Stalking Horse" bidder for any asset to be in by 5 PM today. However, the court has set the hearing for that motion for April 22, only three days before the deadline to find a buyer. I don't know if they have started accepting bids or not.

For anyone who is interested, here is the website for court documents: http://www.kccllc.net/brunos

Do you think Kroger's acquisition department will tell us anything? I seriously doubt it, but at least they will have records that people are interested in having them here. Unless the status has changed recently, Bruno's was still #2 in market share in Birmingham and #3 in Alabama. That would be pretty good for Kroger to walk right into an area with that much market share. I have no doubt that within a very short time, Kroger would rise to having #2 market share in the entire state. I say #2 because Wal-Mart is really just unbeatable. I can see Kroger moving into most of the Bruno's locations, while probably closing some. Of the stores that they chose to run, they would no doubt remodel them to look more like a Kroger store. They would most likely even replace some stores all together with new stores.

Edited by Chris322, 30 March 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#328 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

chris i beilieve the only thing we will get is a "sorry no comment".

but yes your right----they need to know that WE WANT THIS. and i think that by a bunch of us calling them they will firmly believe and hear us. but no....i doubt that we will be told anything.

i also agree with you that there may be some stores that kroger does not want........i can name a few off the top of my head........do you have your list as well? care to share lol.......

ok heres my list------the first would be the greensprings food-world in bhm-----was in there the other day----that store has truly gone to the dogs....sandwiched inbetween a publix and wallyworld market....truly sad. the food-world in demopolis would be next---honestly that is the farthest west store and i just dont see kroger taking that one. and finally the trussville food-world. now that is a good store from what im told---but honestly it is way too small to house a kroger. that one is a tough call....but it is a former food-fair and it is beginning to show its age. along with being sandwiched in-between a publix, winn-dixie (which in my opinion shouldve been closed already--horrible store) and a supertarget....err really unless like you said kroger replaced that store i just dont see them taking that location either. as for brunos....eh really with this last round of closings they took care of their problem locations, although the wildwood location surprised me.

#329 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

chris i beilieve the only thing we will get is a "sorry no comment".

but yes your right----they need to know that WE WANT THIS. and i think that by a bunch of us calling them they will firmly believe and hear us. but no....i doubt that we will be told anything.

i also agree with you that there may be some stores that kroger does not want........i can name a few off the top of my head........do you have your list as well? care to share lol.......

ok heres my list------the first would be the greensprings food-world in bhm-----was in there the other day----that store has truly gone to the dogs....sandwiched inbetween a publix and wallyworld market....truly sad. the food-world in demopolis would be next---honestly that is the farthest west store and i just dont see kroger taking that one. and finally the trussville food-world. now that is a good store from what im told---but honestly it is way too small to house a kroger. that one is a tough call....but it is a former food-fair and it is beginning to show its age. along with being sandwiched in-between a publix, winn-dixie (which in my opinion shouldve been closed already--horrible store) and a supertarget....err really unless like you said kroger replaced that store i just dont see them taking that location either. as for brunos....eh really with this last round of closings they took care of their problem locations, although the wildwood location surprised me.

I would add the East Gadsden Food World to that list. That store has gone down to nothing. It is a nice store, but just does not draw the business it used to. However, under the Kroger name, it might. There is an independent grocery about a mile north of it, Giant Johnson's Foods, that does killer business. They are beating everyone in Gadsden

My store, the Foodmax in Oxford, is pretty small as well. It was formerly an independent (Gregerson's) that Bruno's bought in the late 1990s. It is the only grocery store in the main part of downtown Oxford with the exception of Wal-Mart. There are Winn-Dixie stores on both sides of it, but they are both about 7-8 miles away. There is a very small independent about a mile away from us. For that reason, I can see Kroger wanting our store. They could choose either to remodel it, or to run it as is for a while then build a new store.

#330 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

so chris did you call kroger today? what did they say?
i had a extremely busy day at work and didnt have time to....planning on it tomorrow tho

and like i referenced earlier---why was the wildwood brunos closed? it was always busy everytime i was in there....what was the story behind that?

#331 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

so chris did you call kroger today? what did they say?
i had a extremely busy day at work and didnt have time to....planning on it tomorrow tho

and like i referenced earlier---why was the wildwood brunos closed? it was always busy everytime i was in there....what was the story behind that?

No, I never got around to it.

I have no idea why Wildwood was closed. I haven't heard anything about it.

According to court documents filed in preparation for Thursday's hearing, Bruno's has had letters of intent from two potential purchasers. One of the two withdrew after meeting with the union. They are supposed to show these in court on Thursday, so I assume they will become public then. I am beginning to have a bad feeling about this. I am starting to feel like Kroger is not interested. I have heard that C&S has picked 8 or 9 stores that they want, with the intention to run 4 or 5 of them and sell the rest.

#332 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

Wow yea now i have a sick feeling in my stomach. C&S is proably the lone buyer of the 9 stores........
Stranger things have happend tho.....have faith and dont let it get you down! If the hearing is Thursday, most likely we will know something that night or Friday morning.
Anyway brother, keep your head up and dont let your customers see you sweat.

#333 DR Gizmo

DR Gizmo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

[quote name='FormerCashier' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:45 AM' post='1058741']
Wow yea now i have a sick feeling in my stomach. C&S is proably the lone buyer of the 9 stores........
Stranger things have happend tho.....have faith and dont let it get you down! If the hearing is Thursday, most likely we will know something that night or Friday morning.
Anyway brother, keep your head up and dont let your customers see you sweat.

[/quote
Hi guys--I've been off here for a while but good to see ya'll are still around and knowing I'm not the only scared one out there.A couple of stores in our area sent a petition to the judge asking him to please pull out the successorship clause --did ya'll have a petition up there? I think a lot of people are justing getting panicky about the sale of the chain. No doubt they are gonna get split-up and I hope whatever happens we'll stay in touch on here to see how things are panning out for us.
They(?) had a couple of people in the stores in Mobile with cameras over the weekend--not sure if it's a buyer or taking pictures to offer up at an auction. Anyway, time is running close and we will have to hear one way or another soon. I think the Union has to know 20 days in advance of a sale so maybe the negotiations are a sign of that.May 31st is not far off and I will continue to pray for ya'll as well as my co-workers that we will have a solution soon.
Also, I eceived a letter in the mail that seemed to be written to vendors--not an employee-what's up with that? did someone stuff the wrong envelope or am I just lost in this procedure?

#334 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Are you talking about the letter about the meeting of creditors? If so, all employees got that. We didn't do a petition at 240. The union folks got to the people first and conned them into signing their petition. By that point there were only a few of us that handn't signed it, and we just didn't see the point in having an alternative petition. The people in your store were most likely potential buyers. An email was sent out saying they would be in the stores. I am still praying for everyone involved. This will work out one way or another. If we close we'll find other jobs. We are experienced and can offer a lot to any establishment. Most likely you have made connections at other stores and businesses just as I have, so we should be able to find something.

#335 FormerCashier

FormerCashier

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have always been pro-union, but I think that if it is for the good of the company and the teammates----the union needs to make the concessions. I know alot of yall would proably take me out back and stone me haha but if they dont----how many people will lose their jobs and how many stores will close? I am definitely praying for you guys too--------and its not over yet........God knows whats going on and like my granny used to say---He hasnt brought us this far to drop us in the middle of the stream.

Yall have a great day!

#336 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have always been pro-union, but I think that if it is for the good of the company and the teammates----the union needs to make the concessions. I know alot of yall would proably take me out back and stone me haha but if they dont----how many people will lose their jobs and how many stores will close? I am definitely praying for you guys too--------and its not over yet........God knows whats going on and like my granny used to say---He hasnt brought us this far to drop us in the middle of the stream.

Yall have a great day!

Those are definitely words to live by! I was always pro union until this mess started and the mess with the auto workers and the UAW started. Unions just don't understand that when a company is losing money, they can't possibly make the same amount of money and the same benefits as when the company was prospering. At this point, it boils down to the fact that I need a job. If the store closes, I'll most likely go to work at Winn-Dixie, which is non-union. Most of our co-workers will most likely do the same. So tell me, what is the difference? I don't see what the big deal is. If you have to work non-union, which you will, wouldn't you rather do it in the same environment with the people you've grown to be friends with?

#337 DR Gizmo

DR Gizmo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Those are definitely words to live by! I was always pro union until this mess started and the mess with the auto workers and the UAW started. Unions just don't understand that when a company is losing money, they can't possibly make the same amount of money and the same benefits as when the company was prospering. At this point, it boils down to the fact that I need a job. If the store closes, I'll most likely go to work at Winn-Dixie, which is non-union. Most of our co-workers will most likely do the same. So tell me, what is the difference? I don't see what the big deal is. If you have to work non-union, which you will, wouldn't you rather do it in the same environment with the people you've grown to be friends with?

ANY NEWS????? I have been on the 'puter non-stop all day and I'm getting nothing about today's court proceedings.Any word?

#338 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

ANY NEWS????? I have been on the 'puter non-stop all day and I'm getting nothing about today's court proceedings.Any word?

Nothing yet. There are some new developments in the court documents. We had 1 interested buyer that withdrew after meeting with the union. There is another potential buyer that wants 33 stores. They met with the union yesterday. I haven't heard anything else yet.

#339 DR Gizmo

DR Gizmo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi Chris,
I have been searching the court docs all day and alot of UFCW signatures wanting the judge to keep the "clause" in and alot of landlords but nothing about if the judge took it out or not. I thought today was the day he was deciding.We'll probably read it in the paper tomorrow--that's how we've found out most of the proceedings. Kind of depressing with the rain, job outlook not good.gotta get relief---maybe tomorrow the sun will be out and jobs are secure.

#340 Chris322

Chris322

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi Chris,
I have been searching the court docs all day and alot of UFCW signatures wanting the judge to keep the "clause" in and alot of landlords but nothing about if the judge took it out or not. I thought today was the day he was deciding.We'll probably read it in the paper tomorrow--that's how we've found out most of the proceedings. Kind of depressing with the rain, job outlook not good.gotta get relief---maybe tomorrow the sun will be out and jobs are secure.

Yeah, there's nothing new yet. I expect to see something in the Birmingham News tomorrow. I am just curious if the names of the potential purchasers came out during the hearing today or if they kept it quiet. I am pretty sure the judge knows what he is going to do, he just hasn't ruled on it yet. Legally he has up to 30 days to make his decision. But Bruno's is now saying its financing can be pulled as early as April 8th if they do not secure a purchase deal. Regions is also requesting that the decision be made quickly. I expect that his decision will be made Friday or Monday at the latest. I am just so tired of waiting and not hearing anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users