-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

I-49 progress in Arkansas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

I was originally just going to post my pictures of highway 549 in another thread, but I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for overall progress of I-49. Pictures, articles, news, thoughts, etc. could be placed here. :D

Ok here are my pictures of highway 549 from Fouke-Texarkana, which will become part of I-49 once Arkansas finishes it down to the border, and Louisiana gets it completed.

I almost missed the exit to 549. My first thought was "hey, this is new!"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much traffic on the highway
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NCB, 02 January 2006 - 01:07 AM.

#2 tim2462

tim2462

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

That's a very nice freeway! They got it done really quick as well. I wish all of the new highways in the state were finished that quickly.

#3 johnnydr87

johnnydr87

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

Interesting pics....boring landscape :-)

#4 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

On the loop around Texarkana, getting ready to get on highway 549
Posted Image

Highway 549 in the early morning
Posted Image

Progress in Louisiana is definately happening, but near the AR/LA border all you see is this. -_-
Posted Image

Edited by NCB, 02 January 2006 - 01:00 AM.

#5 johnnydr87

johnnydr87

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:59 AM

Empty......indeed.

#6 tim2462

tim2462

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:00 AM

I love the rolling hills landscape, that's what a lot of NWA looks like, especailly north of Fayetteville.

#7 tim2462

tim2462

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:35 AM

That section in the Ouachitas will probably take a long time. But it may go quicker than we think...540 in NWA was completed relatively quickly, and it went through pretty rough terrain. The Ouachitas is a much longer stretch though. It'll be interesting to see which sections they work on first.

#8 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

Nice pics NCB! I've also heard that construction of the section between Texarkana and Ashdown may began soon.

#9 mcheiss

mcheiss

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

I love the rolling hills landscape, that's what a lot of NWA looks like, especailly north of Fayetteville.

Somewhat.

The interstate in Rogers is booming with development near the Interstate.

Nic Pics though, I didn't realize it was so empty out there.

#10 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

I've also heard that construction of the section between Texarkana and Ashdown may began soon.

Great!
My normal route to Foreman is highway 59 from Texarkana to Ashdown, and then highway 32 from Ashdown to Foreman. This year however, I took I-30 west from Texarkana over to New Boston, and headed up highway 41 to Foreman. Because of this, I missed Stateline Avenue and most of Texarkana, but it gave me a chance to see all of the new development along I-30. :D

#11 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the pics Nate. Now how far does 549 extend? I'm not so sure I-540 was finished very quickly up here either Tim. Some areas were done for years and then sat there until the state got more money to build other sections. That will be the biggest problem, will the state have the money to pay for large sections going through the Ouachitas in a reasonable time period? I think part of it might depend on how they plan on going through the Ouachitas. Are they going to try to avoid most of the mountains and have the road weave through the mountain ridges or will they just try to blact their way through all of them?

#12 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Now how far does 549 extend?

It now extends from just south of Fouke to Texarkana.
Posted Image
^Though as you can see there is still more work ahead to get it down to the AR/LA border.

Edited by NCB, 02 January 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#13 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

Yeah it basically looks like they've gone halfway from Texarkana to the Louisiana border.

#14 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

So Nate can you tell many differences between southern Lousiana and say southwest Arkansas?

#15 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

^I can find many similarities and differences.
If I am comparing SE Louisiana to SW Arkansas, I can tell you that AW Arkansas is comprised much more farming and agriculture than SE Louisiana.

SE Louisiana is more populated than SW Arkansas, with around 2.3 million people living between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. For the most part, the land and terrain is different, and the industry is different. Much of the culture and history are very different as well.

One similarity is that there are many bayou's in both SW Arkansas and SE Louisiana. One interesting thing is that in SW Arkansas, bayou is pronounced "buy-o," while in SE Louisiana it is pronounced "buy-oo."

Central and NW Louisiana are very compatible to SW Arkansas in terms of industry, population, land and terrain, etc.

I love both SE Louisiana and SW Arkansas. SE Louisiana is where I was born and where I call home, but SW Arkansas is where my family has settled since the early-mid 1800's.. :D Thats why I try my best to get up there often.

Edited by NCB, 02 January 2006 - 08:25 PM.

#16 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

One similarity is that there are many bayou's in both SW Arkansas and SE Louisiana. One interesting thing is that in SW Arkansas, bayou is pronounced "buy-o," while in SE Louisiana it is pronounced "buy-oo."

I think I've heard it pronounced both ways in SE Arkansas but I admit I've heard the buy-oh much more. I wonder what affects the pronunciation and how other southern states pronounce it.

#17 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

I've noticed the Gulf Coastal Plain in southern Arkansas seems to have rolling hills. The Mississippi Alluvial Plain in eastern Arkansas is very flat with very few hills and most of those being rather slight. Except for Crowley's Ridge of course that pops up although that's consider a seperate land area.

#18 tim2462

tim2462

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

I've noticed the Gulf Coastal Plain in southern Arkansas seems to have rolling hills. The Mississippi Alluvial Plain in eastern Arkansas is very flat with very few hills and most of those being rather slight. Except for Crowley's Ridge of course that pops up although that's consider a seperate land area.

Yes, Crowley's Ridge is a separate land area, which is why I hate when Jonesboro is lumped in with the delta.

#19 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

I think I've heard it pronounced both ways in SE Arkansas but I admit I've heard the buy-oh much more. I wonder what affects the pronunciation and how other southern states pronounce it.

Other than in Arkansas, I have only heard it pronounced "buy-oo"
In East Texas around Houston(which is nicknamed "The Bayou City") it seems to mostly be pronounced "buy-oo"

#20 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,692 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

Other than in Arkansas, I have only heard it pronounced "buy-oo"
In East Texas around Houston(which is nicknamed "The Bayou City") it seems to mostly be pronounced "buy-oo"

Interesting I wonder if it's possible that it's just an Arkansas thing. Although there's probably some other areas that also pronounce it buy-oh also. There's a number of French words used in georgraphical areas of Arkansas although many of the have been corrupted in the original pronounciation. One being Petit Jean, pronounced pet-it jeen. Then there's Smackover a corruption of the orginal Sumac Couvert.