Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

New Orleans Development Thread

• Please log in to reply
1544 replies to this topic

#741 tombarnes

tombarnes

City

• Moderators
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

I'm pleased to hear that this project is back on track. The Krauss building is too good to lose.

#742 WRM2007

WRM2007

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

THE KRAUSS PROJECT RESUMES

While I'm excited to see the building preserved and turned into condos, (Canal needs MORE residential conversions) I just cant imagine anyone wanting to live with a dangerous housing project in your backyard. :dontknow:

#743 UptownNewOrleans

UptownNewOrleans

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I just cant imagine anyone wanting to live with a dangerous housing project in your backyard.

The same can be said for people living in the Garden District.

#744 sgray

sgray

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

While I'm excited to see the building preserved and turned into condos, (Canal needs MORE residential conversions) I just cant imagine anyone wanting to live with a dangerous housing project in your backyard. :dontknow:

I thought they closed the Iberville projects.

:shades:

#745 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

^They did, indeed, sgray. But even so, this isn't the only upscale project planned for that portion of the city, there's also the two, 30 story towers in a single project planned for an empty lot on Saint Louis Street nearby. http://www.emporis.c...reet-neworleans

However, I haven't heard anything new about that project in quite some time.

#746 WRM2007

WRM2007

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

The same can be said for people living in the Garden District.

The garden District doesn't have a project in it's backyard. Not anymore. :rolleyes: But I'm still baffled at why folk defend this ugly monstrosity anchoring our main grand boulevard. And I still wonder what type of condo dweller will live there....WITH a murderous ghetto in ones back yard??? Will they discount the condo fee for the occasional murder?

I thought they closed the Iberville projects.

They are 'partially' re-opened. Something to do with the hotels needing cooks and cleaners and room attendants......I dunno. I contend it was to shut the rabble-rousers up. "SAVE IBERVILLE"! Indeed. :whistling:

#747 UptownNewOrleans

UptownNewOrleans

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

The Garden District is surrounded by projects & wards. Louisiana Avenue runs through the area AND it's one of the boundaries of Magnolia Projects. Valence St. (13th Ward) intersects with St. Charles Ave at it's southern end. I live in close proximity to the Garden District :shades: New Orleans is a checkerboard of good areas to notoriously dangerous areas. For every wealthy area one lives in, go 3 blocks N,S,E,W and you'll be in a warzone.

Edited by UptownNewOrleans, 19 March 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#748 sgray

sgray

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

300m Lincoln Beach developement

This looks like it might abut or morph into the big Nolatown project.

#749 WRM2007

WRM2007

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

The Garden District is surrounded by projects & wards. Louisiana Avenue runs through the area AND it's one of the boundaries of Magnolia Projects. Valence St. (13th Ward) intersects with St. Charles Ave at it's southern end. I live in close proximity to the Garden District :shades: New Orleans is a checkerboard of good areas to notoriously dangerous areas. For every wealthy area one lives in, go 3 blocks N,S,E,W and you'll be in a warzone.

Oh I understand the mixed nature of New Orleans neighborhoods; I am not seeking to change that one bit. I am seeking to change the configuration of ONE MOTHER SHIP DOMINATING/RADIATING HER NEGATIVE ETHOS INTO THE MORE IMPORTANT HISTORICAL AREAS that she is allowed to exist in. SHE is a visitor, considering the age of the hoods and homes she exists in......There is a clear difference between a row of houses on a street that some own and some do not and a MOTHER SHIP. The former can be controlled and maneuvered much easier; the latter offers ENTRENCHMENT...at best. And C.J. Peete is really not the Garden District proper....it is Central City. The St. Thomas resided directly within the Garden, Lower Garden, and Irish Channel hoods........which existed LOOOOONG before the mother ship Thomas. Mother ship is gone....and so is the sense of being held hostage. Now we must move to the OTHER side of 'The Avenue' and raze those other mother ships. And then on to Lafitte and Iberville. It is time that our history cease being defined by this filth as well as black New Orleans. That is, black New Orleans being defined by it as well. :angry:

Edited by WRM2007, 19 March 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#750 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

WOW! :good: I hope the Lincoln Beach project comes thru! That would be HUGE for the entire region! A great blend of mixed-use development.

Edited by richyb83, 19 March 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#751 tennis1400

tennis1400

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Yes I hope they do something out there. New Orleans's Lakefront is a crime considering how much potential it has. There needs to be a master plan to put the area to commercial/recreational use.

#752 eastover neworleans

eastover neworleans

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

I certainly hope that these developements are built in the East , so that my property value can go even higher. This Lincoln Beach developement has been long overdue.

#753 UptownNewOrleans

UptownNewOrleans

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

Oh I understand the mixed nature of New Orleans neighborhoods; I am not seeking to change that one bit. I am seeking to change the configuration of ONE MOTHER SHIP DOMINATING/RADIATING HER NEGATIVE ETHOS INTO THE MORE IMPORTANT HISTORICAL AREAS that she is allowed to exist in. SHE is a visitor, considering the age of the hoods and homes she exists in......There is a clear difference between a row of houses on a street that some own and some do not and a MOTHER SHIP. The former can be controlled and maneuvered much easier; the latter offers ENTRENCHMENT...at best. And C.J. Peete is really not the Garden District proper....it is Central City. The St. Thomas resided directly within the Garden, Lower Garden, and Irish Channel hoods........which existed LOOOOONG before the mother ship Thomas. Mother ship is gone....and so is the sense of being held hostage. Now we must move to the OTHER side of 'The Avenue' and raze those other mother ships. And then on to Lafitte and Iberville. It is time that our history cease being defined by this filth as well as black New Orleans. That is, black New Orleans being defined by it as well. :angry:

Interesting you should mention that because New Orleans hip hop started in the Uptown projects. A lot of our music came from artists who grew up in poverty-stricken areas.

#754 SlidellWX

SlidellWX

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Glad to see the Lincoln Beach/Nolatown development is proceeding.

#755 WRM2007

WRM2007

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:31 AM

Interesting you should mention that because New Orleans hip hop started in the Uptown projects. A lot of our music came from artists who grew up in poverty-stricken areas.

'Bounce' music/rap came from that area. And it was horrendous and the West Coast hated it. It reflected the serious ignorance of project blacks in New Orleans. Jazz musicians may have come from rough and tumble hoods, but the CONFIGURATION of these bloody bricks did not define or dominate or even exist. Big difference.

#756 sgray

sgray

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

It looks like the Lincoln Beach project has a few obstacles to clear. I hope they work things out.

Long term, I wonder if a stretch of high rises might happen out Haynes Blvd. There should be plenty of land available but something would have to be done with the railroad track by the levee to allow beach access.

#757 tennis1400

tennis1400

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

Gosh that woman has to be the worst Councilperson of them all. She is consistently out of the loop, and if you have ever been to a council meeting she just doesnt listen. She only likes to hear herself talk, using words that frequently dont exist in the English language, about things she has no clue about. Perhaps if she were quiet and did her job instead of mouth off, she might actually know what is going on in her district. Lets hope she doesnt demand something ridiculous!!

On a brighter note, Tom Fitzmorris says New Orleans metro area is now at 774 restaurants reopened. He doesnt count chain restaurants/fast food as restaurants. Anyway, the good news is that his last count before Katrina was 809. Thats simply amazing we should be ahead of where we were before Katrina by the end of the year. I can name about 10 offhand that will be open by the end of April.

#758 eastover neworleans

eastover neworleans

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

New Orleans soccer are about to get excited, we might get a major league soccer team. If this happens do you guys think that it would bring big business to the city. I can't pull up the link , but the story is on wgno.com

Edited by eastover neworleans, 20 March 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#759 tombarnes

tombarnes

City

• Moderators
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

Is Peggy Wilson still on the Council?

#760 tennis1400

tennis1400

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip