-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Parking Garages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

Does anyone here know whats the tallest that a parking ramp can be feasibly built? Or what are the tallest parking ramp that you know of? I seem to have a hard time finding any over 12 floors.

#2 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just around 12-14 stories. Recently, one of 12-stories was just created in downtown Detroit at that height. After that, I think you have to start going to automated garages.

Posted Image
(courtesy Mikeydbn of detroit.com)

Edited by Lmichigan, 29 January 2006 - 02:28 AM.

#3 aTorridGustOfSun

aTorridGustOfSun

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

I'm curious as to what the "Mickey and Friends" structure at Disneyland in California would've looked like had it reached 12 stories. Quite visually obstructive, most likely.

The reason why I mention that particular parking ramp is because it is the largest in the United States. Here is a picture I found which shows how mammoth it is: http://albums.mousep...ocessed/19b.jpg

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'd hate to be stuck in a long car line leaving Disneyland when everyone else is!

#4 dpbaker

dpbaker

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

I found this reference:

CARTER+BURGESS PLAZA II - When the developers purchased the property for this project, an additional block was set aside for the construction of another office building. This block was located to the northeast of Carter+Burgess Plaza bounded by 5th, Calhoun, 6th, & Commerce Streets. Eventually, the 15 story Carter+Burgess Plaza Parking Garage was built on this site.

http://www.fortworth...om/proposed.htm

Edited by dpbaker, 27 January 2006 - 12:24 AM.

#5 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

Actually, the largest single parking structure in the United States (and second largest in the world after the one at Pierson Airport in Toronto, I believe) is at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport with something like 11,500 spaces. They could be wrong, though.

And, the tallest in the world was the one at the Carew-Netherland complex in dowtown Cincy. It was demolished in the late 80's. It stood 342' tall and contained 27 floors. Here it is in the Carew-Netherland complex. It's the red building just left of the tallest in this photo:

http://www.urbanohio...ttach=783;image

There is also an automated one still standing in Chicago, I believe, that is over 20 stories, as well. Most of them are historic. The Carew-Netherdland one was constructed in 1931.

#6 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:42 AM

The new garage at Detroit Metro is mammoth! :blink:

Posted Image

#7 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

And, the tallest in the world was the one at the Carew-Netherland complex in dowtown Cincy. It was demolished in the late 80's. It stood 342' tall and contained 27 floors. Here it is in the Carew-Netherland complex. It's the red building just left of the tallest in this photo:

27 floors.

wow.

That Detroit parking deck is huge too, they could probably put a landing strip on it.

Edited by moonshield, 27 January 2006 - 10:36 AM.

#8 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

27 floors... that must be a beotch to drive to the top!

#9 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

I was just lookiung up that garage on Emporis and it had 2 floors undergroundalso, but only had 750 spaces :huh: .

Carew-Netherland Garage in Cincinati
Quincy Street Garage in Chicago.
Harrison Hotel Electric Garage in Chicago.

#10 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

That's because it was so thin.

The one at Metro is simply huge. Very imposing in person. And just don't forget where you parked...really. :)

Edited by Lmichigan, 27 January 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#11 Cadeho

Cadeho

City

• Members+
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

Every time they demolish a place in downtown Richmond, it seems it becomes a parking lot or a garage. I wish we would just build a 30 story parking garage and just be done with it! It'd be the tallest thing we'd see.

#12 Eric-Ohio

Eric-Ohio

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

27 floors... that must be a beotch to drive to the top!

The Carew Tower Garage (demolished in the 1980s) used elevators to move the cars to the upper levels, so there were no ramps to drive up to the top.

Also in downtown Cincinnati, the URS building at 36 E 7th Street has a garage that is 14 stories. There are 12 floors of offices above the garage.

The Marina Tower garages in Chicago go up pretty far, don't they?

#13 aTorridGustOfSun

aTorridGustOfSun

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

Actually, the largest single parking structure in the United States (and second largest in the world after the one at Pierson Airport in Toronto, I believe) is at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport with something like 11,500 spaces. They could be wrong, though.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Disneyland

Most of the resort's parking today is handled by the six-level "Mickey and Friends" parking garage. With six levels and 10,250 parking spaces, it is the largest parking structure in the world. Propane-powered trams bring visitors to the entrance plaza between the two parks. There are also some smaller, off-property lots with regular shuttle service to the parks, and most nearby hotels offer regular shuttle service as well.

I guess it depends on how you are counting. The Disneyland one has about 1000 less than Detroit's, but perhaps the square footage is greater.

#14 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:40 AM

Yeah, that can make a slight difference. But, I think the main problem simply comes from people claiming without looking up the claim. I can't tell you how many times I've heard different structures claim to be the biggest in the world. In this case, I think Disney's claim is the latter. Or maybe it was built earlier than the other's and just never shed the title?

#15 hood

hood

Burg

• MemberZ
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

Who really wants to claim the biggest parking ramp in the world? To me it's not really something to brag about anyways.

#16 aTorridGustOfSun

aTorridGustOfSun

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

I wouldn't want to live in a city that brags about that, but I do think it's interesting. And I'd rather see a parking ramp than a parking lot.

#17 Lmichigan

Lmichigan

City

• Members+
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, it's nothing to brag about (for urban-minded folks), but it is interesting to know.

#18 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

City

• Members+
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

The Carew Tower Garage (demolished in the 1980s) used elevators to move the cars to the upper levels, so there were no ramps to drive up to the top.

Oh, smart!

#19 andrew.w

andrew.w

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:35 PM

The Jewlers Building (Emporis) in Chicago was originaly built with a parking ramp built in its center core. I read this first in a book a few months ago, but I see that Emporis also mentions the existance of the parking ramp. It was 22 stories tall (the entire height of the buildings base.) As, metioned it included a lift to transport the cars to the different floors. The ramp was removed when automobiles became too large to fir in the lift, and the space was convered to more office space.

#20 rbdetsport

rbdetsport

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

I would think Disney World would want to make their parking structure more "magical" LOL! I love Disney World. Universal Studios has a very unique garage.