Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Sparkle City Eateries

• Please log in to reply
872 replies to this topic

#61 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I'll take the Spice anyday :)

#62 roads-scholar

roads-scholar

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

In today's Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Jason's Deli will soon open in the old Rock-Ola location on W.O. Ezell Blvd.

Also, Chiefs Wings is opening this week in the old Billy D's West locaton on John B. White Blvd.

#63 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Great news! I was gettin worried about the old Rock-ola site :)

Now to fill up the old Home Depot

#64 TheSpur06

TheSpur06

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

Souper Salad is also a favorite of mine

Hickory Tavern isnt to bad either

Anyone tried the Carolina Cafe? Its right behind downtown Chesnee where the old Petes use to be.. Not a bad place to eat. I believe the gentleman that owns it, ran JJR's in Spartanburg.. Very good prices on steaks.

Edited by TheSpur06, 29 June 2006 - 02:30 PM.

#65 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

A new restaurant called the Copper River Grill is comgin to Spartanburg soon.... no word on a location though.

http://www.copperriv...m/locations.php

This restaurant chain was started by the guy who started Fatz, both of which are from Spartanburg.

#66 hub-city

hub-city

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

The story isn't online yet, but the HJ is reporting that Olive Garden sealed the rumored deal to build on the Friendship Baptist church site on Ezell blvd. right beside Golden Corral. it will have 7,400 sq. ft and seat 247. It will be in their new "Tuscan Farm House" design. Construction is set to begin in August with a late winter '07 opening.

#67 scman473

scman473

Whistle-Stop

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

The story isn't online yet, but the HJ is reporting that Olive Garden sealed the rumored deal to build on the Friendship Baptist church site on Ezell blvd. right beside Golden Corral. it will have 7,400 sq. ft and seat 247. It will be in their new "Tuscan Farm House" design. Construction is set to begin in August with a late winter '07 opening.

Here you go: http://www.goupstate.../607060401/1026

#68 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Sweet. Generica here we come! ;)

#69 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

We really need a Smokey Bones now.

#70 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

While the new Olive Garden is exciting, lets not forget about Pranza, our newest italian restaurant. The Journal had an article about them last week. The owner also owns the Hub City Grille. In it the owner mentions plans for a westside locaiton, and a new upscale location downtown. He also mentioned what the new cultural center will bring to the area.... my guess is that he will create the new upscale restaurant near the CAC.

#71 KSUCat

KSUCat

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Too bad that Pranza is really not that good, now Renato's now that is good local Italian! I love to support local, be geez gotta have good food and service.

While the new Olive Garden is exciting, lets not forget about Pranza, our newest italian restaurant. The Journal had an article about them last week. The owner also owns the Hub City Grille. In it the owner mentions plans for a westside locaiton, and a new upscale location downtown. He also mentioned what the new cultural center will bring to the area.... my guess is that he will create the new upscale restaurant near the CAC.

#72 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Interesting. I've not had a chance to go myself. You're the first person I've had tell me that it wasn't that good.

#73 Renazai

Renazai

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

Interesting. I've not had a chance to go myself. You're the first person I've had tell me that it wasn't that good.

Let me be the second, I'm afraid. We've gone there twice with people from out of town and were disappointed by the service and quality of food. Who knows, maybe it's gotten better, but it was very underwhelming.

#74 roads-scholar

roads-scholar

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

A hidden jewel in Spartanburg is the Hickory Tavern on Fernwood Road. Good bar scene, excellent service, good food.

#75 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

Let me be the second, I'm afraid. We've gone there twice with people from out of town and were disappointed by the service and quality of food. Who knows, maybe it's gotten better, but it was very underwhelming.

Welcome to the forum Renazai!

It sucks that people are not liking this place. Its weird becuase Hub City Grill is pretty tastey. I guess italian is not this guy's fortÚ.

#76 BizGuy2

BizGuy2

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to the forum Renazai!

It sucks that people are not liking this place. Its weird becuase Hub City Grill is pretty tastey. I guess italian is not this guy's fortÚ.

the former head chef from Stefano's (James) is now working at J-Bones on Reidville Rd. (they have great ribs btw). according to one of the waitresses at J-Bones, James was working at Pranza but left to come to J-Bones. Joe Nix, owner of J-Bones, also owns a Burger King franchise in town.

Edited by BizGuy2, 26 August 2006 - 05:21 PM.

#77 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

cool, thanks for the info :)

#78 alias007

alias007

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

Sun King? you gotta be kidding me :rofl:

all of those Buffet places taste the same.. gimme somthing exciting! I mean, I go there myself on occasion, but it's not worth mentioning.
As for annex that area... I know for fact that City Range is in the City because I had a couple of drinks last Sunday evening. Not sure where the line falls.

Have to agree with willum. Sun King rules. It seems that their lunch buffet is much better than their dinner buffet. Anyone else agree?

But I'll gladly drop it for a new favorite. Is there a bigger or better china buffet that Sun King in Sparkle City?

#79 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Its not bigger, but New China on E Main is my favorite chineese buffet. Its consitantly good, at a reasonable price, and its locally owned I think.... been there for decades.It used to be a real sit down Chinese place before they switched to a buffet. You can tell that it used to be a nicer place than it is today.

#80 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

Apparantly Spartanburg has a new tapas bar that has been open for almost a month! Its called "Oscar's" (180 E Main). Its located about a block off of Main St in the location of the former Mimi's Uptown. This place is unique in that they odon't open until 4pm, which is not common in Downtown. Apparantly it has been pretty successful too. I hope to check it out some day. Spartanburg is slowly but surely getting some decent restaurants and a decent nightscene.

Here is the article in the HJ: article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users