-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Jersey City Skyline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 flotown

flotown

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

The Jersey City skyline is pretty impressive. Of course it is still dwarfed by the Manhattan skyline across the Hudson.

This is the view from Manhattan:
Posted Image

This is the view from Hoboken:
Posted Image

To think this has all been built up in the last 20 years. Not too shabby.

#2 Jerseyman4

Jerseyman4

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:28 PM

Posted Image

New Yorker's skyline bargain

New Jersey's gold coast

#3 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:02 PM

It's getting bigger and badder every day!

#4 SouthJersey7

SouthJersey7

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

The view from Hoboken is especially impressive. I really think JC has nowere to go but up up up! :)

#5 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

If you look at the photos from WindowsLiveLocal you can see the GS Tower still under construction! The shots on WLL are HUGE. I had to shrink this one quite a bit.

Posted Image

#6 ZachariahDaMan

ZachariahDaMan

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

Wow, I didn't know that Jersey City's skyline was so nice. I'd love to see some pictures downtown, does anyone have any?

Edited by ZachariahDaMan, 23 February 2006 - 11:04 AM.

#7 ctman987

ctman987

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

Wow, Jersey City is definiltly a sight. Ive been to New York City and Hoboken and was very impressed. Guess I need to make my way over to Jersey City

#8 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:50 PM

Wow, Jersey City is definiltly a sight. Ive been to New York City and Hoboken and was very impressed. Guess I need to make my way over to Jersey City

IMO, Jersey City (at least the waterfront area) is a big place to store people and jobs in big buildings. Hoboken is much more fun. Nevermind that I'm eyeing a couple of JC neighborhoods for when I move in summer. Cost is the big factor, though.

#9 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

Just Say Jersey. Holy housing stock! Jersey City is a-boom with new homes [NYPost]

Posted Image
TRUMP'S HIGHER-ED: Who's the tallest in the land? You guessed it.

#10 Recchia

Recchia

Town

• Members+
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:27 PM

Damn, I woulda moved there too if I had gotten a job in NYC. Too bad. Cost of living isn't bad at all either, I found a bunch of 1BR's near PATH stations for $1000/month incl. utilities. Factor in the cheap transportation costs and it aint bad at all...

#11 PghUSA

PghUSA

Town

• Members+
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

Nice pics, enjoyed them!

#12 Rwarky

Rwarky

Whistle-Stop

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

That's a pretty large skyline...how many people live in Jersey City?

#13 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

That's a pretty large skyline...how many people live in Jersey City?

+/- 240,000

#14 SouthJersey7

SouthJersey7

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:14 AM

+/- 240,000

Yes and it's worth noting that it added over 10,000 between 1990 and 2000 after having lost 75,000. It's been quite stable since then.

#15 Rwarky

Rwarky

Whistle-Stop

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

It's getting bigger and badder every day!

Is downtown Jersey City bustling with people, shops, and eateries?

#16 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

Is downtown Jersey City bustling with people, shops, and eateries?

It depends on which half of downtown JC you're in. The waterfront highrise village has very little street life. Most of the buildings, while they have restaurants etc at ground level, do a fairly poor job of addressing the street and creating a vibrant, inviting streetscape. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, which travels in-street through much of the area, is a great but often ignored community asset.
A few blocks off the waterfront is the historic downtown, filled with brownstone rowhouses, small parks, and more ethnic diversity represented in the shops, restaurants, and people seen walking about. My fear is that as the interior portions of JC become popular dormitories for Exchange Place/Pavonia/Manhattan commuters, the spice, if you will, of JC will start to disappear. Interior JC may soon become Hoboken South (or as one of my friends calls it already, Faux-boken)

#17 flotown

flotown

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

Interior JC may soon become Hoboken South (or as one of my friends calls it already, Faux-boken)

Well, I'd rather have that than what some parts of JC are now. Have you been on Ocean Ave and MLK Blvd lately? Say what you will, Hoboken is a nice city. The JC I envision is diverse, but also safe and pleasing to the eye (i.e. not filthy, neglected, and run down).

In the past 15 years, much of the city has cleaned itself up.

#18 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

Well, I'd rather have that than what some parts of JC are now. Have you been on Ocean Ave and MLK Blvd lately? Say what you will, Hoboken is a nice city. The JC I envision is diverse, but also safe and pleasing to the eye (i.e. not filthy, neglected, and run down).

In the past 15 years, much of the city has cleaned itself up.

My point is it can have all of those qualities without being the outrageously overpriced dormitory for 22 year-old spoiled Bergen County kids that Hoboken is. I'm not trying to break UP rules and bash Hoboken, because I do love the integrity of its architecture and urban design, but I'd rather be in a neighborhood full of working middle-class adults and families (which JC has lots of) than a place where all you hear on the streets at 3 AM is Newark Nickie yelling at people and throwing trash cans in the street b/c some dude at the bar stared at his girl's tits!

#19 nowensone

nowensone

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

+/- 240,000

That number is deceptive - the ~240,000 population is in roughly 20 square miles, which is why the downtown is large and compact - if you stretched out Jersey City to more resemble most other American cities it would suddenly jump into the top 20 list. It has a density of over 10,000 per square mile. At any rate, it will be neat to see this area in 30 years or so, may look similar to it's neighbor across the river.

#20 SouthJersey7

SouthJersey7

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:20 AM

That number is deceptive - the ~240,000 population is in roughly 20 square miles, which is why the downtown is large and compact - if you stretched out Jersey City to more resemble most other American cities it would suddenly jump into the top 20 list. It has a density of over 10,000 per square mile. At any rate, it will be neat to see this area in 30 years or so, may look similar to it's neighbor across the river.

Right, as an example:
Hudson County = Pop. 603,521 (2005) = 47 sq. mi.
San Francisco = Pop. 739,426 (2005) = 46 sq. mi.

It's even closer when you consider the fact that Hudson Co has lost alot of population in the last 50 years and also has alot of underutilized industrial space with very low pop. density. As a side note I think Hudson Co is probably the most densely populated US county outside of the limits of a major city. Anyway I think that density will only rise in the future.