Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Peninsula Town Center Progress

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 PeninsulaKiddo

PeninsulaKiddo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for posting this kiddo but remember that we cannot post full articles on this site.

April 27, 2005

HAMPTON -- The owners of Coliseum Mall think their property - the first mall developed on the Peninsula - has to start changing into the next big thing. They plan to do away with the 32-year old mall and develop a "town center" that would hold even more retail stores, plus residential condominiums, office buildings and possibly a hotel, Hampton officials said Tuesday......Full Story>>>Taken from www.dailypress.com

:) YES! I've mentioned in on the other threads in reference to my ideas about Pembroke, and now ya'll can see it in a bit more detail (albeit still vague). It's a big step for Coliseum Central though. It's starting to slowly turn around, and perhaps by 2010, it'll be back and booming. YAY OPTIMISM! :)

Edited by vdogg, 20 August 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#2 rusthebuss

rusthebuss

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

This just shows how this area is just growing beyond our wildest dreams, maybe some taller buildings in the coliseum area

#3 wrldcoupe4

wrldcoupe4

Metropolis

• Editor
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

I definitely like seeing gentrification of older commerial areas. Kudos to hampton

#4 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

The location certainly lends itself well to this sort of a development. It would be nice if it had a train station in the middle of it.

#5 UrbanElement

UrbanElement

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for posting this kiddo but remember that we cannot post full articles on this site.

April 27, 2005

HAMPTON -- The owners of Coliseum Mall think their property - the first mall developed on the Peninsula - has to start changing into the next big thing. They plan to do away with the 32-year old mall and develop a "town center" that would hold even more retail stores, plus residential condominiums, office buildings and possibly a hotel, Hampton officials said Tuesday......Full Story>>>Taken from www.dailypress.com
:) YES! I've mentioned in on the other threads in reference to my ideas about Pembroke, and now ya'll can see it in a bit more detail (albeit still vague). It's a big step for Coliseum Central though. It's starting to slowly turn around, and perhaps by 2010, it'll be back and booming. YAY OPTIMISM! :)

Go to google and type in "Peninsula Town Center" (use quotation marks) and "Steiner". Hit "I feel lucky" and you will find out more about the redevelopment of Coliseum Mall. To the left of the article is a link to pictures of the model. Has this thing been publically announced, yet?

#6 rusthebuss

rusthebuss

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:44 PM

" The Pennisula Towncenter "

This is almost as bad as Chesapeakes attempt :sick:

#7 PeninsulaKiddo

PeninsulaKiddo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

" The Pennisula Towncenter "
This is almost as bad as Chesapeakes attempt :sick:

THIS IS THE PLAN TO REPLACE COLISEUM MALL! It's rather un-urban.. but MUCH better than the disaster that's there now! It reminds me of Fanieul (sp?) Hall and the surrounding shopping area in Boston, only without skyscrapers in the background (but perhaps one day)... The architecture of that model is excellent, it's low-rise... (meh...) but idk. This is at least a great sign of investment in that section of Hampton not directly related to The Power Plant or the Convention Center!!

Great find!

[[Though perhaps a little paltry for the designation of "town center"... lol]].

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo, 23 December 2005 - 08:02 PM.

#8 urbanvb

urbanvb

City

• Editor
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

I must say I think I like it! It has a very dense and compact look.. almost village-like feel to it. And I really like all the trees in the rendering. Hope they incorporate all of those if actually built. It does not come off as looking or feeling contrived to me. I like!

Edited by guynvb, 23 December 2005 - 10:06 PM.

#9 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:20 AM

Hmm... Don't know how I feel about this yet. I'll have to look at it a bit more. I'm not sure if it really fits the definition of urban or not. Should I add this to the projects listing?

#10 rusthebuss

rusthebuss

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:26 AM

Hmm... Don't know how I feel about this yet. I'll have to look at it a bit more. I'm not sure if it really fits the definition of urban or not. Should I add this to the projects listing?

I have the same feeling as you Vdogg. It kind of reminds me of the Williamsburg outlets. Why would they label it a TC anyways? I don't know how solid this is anyways.

#11 mercuex

mercuex

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:23 PM

I have the same feeling as you Vdogg. It kind of reminds me of the Williamsburg outlets. Why would they label it a TC anyways? I don't know how solid this is anyways.

Its a development model that's gaining popularity these days. "Lifestyle Centers" is what I usually hear them referred to - suburban in character but incorporating decidedly New Urbanist elements without having to deal with the "smart growth rubbish." A good example of this actually are the new renovations going on at Patrick Henry Mall and, more especially, Short Pump Mall.

It's a welcome progression that at least people are moving away from the strip club model of the latter stages of the 20th century but when it comes down to it, it's still a suburban development.

I think it's nice that developers are at least beginning to recognize the profitability and desirability of urbanesque developments. In a way, these new hybrid things, while imperfect, could be a necessary bridge towards bona fide urbanism. In growing localities like Hampton Roads, it seems to be the only option.

#12 hoobo

hoobo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

The Coliseum Town Center doesn't look too bad. It's actually what I want Pembroke to become: an open-air, multi-story mall with on-street parking and sidewalks. It is more of an urban village which is both its selling point and detraction. It's cozy but doesn't connect with its surroundings. Anyway, the upper stories may be office space and/or condos. That's what other projects shown on Steiner's website look like. Parking lots could be converted to garages with condos/apts on top when the market or zoning allows.

Edited by hoobo, 01 January 2006 - 11:38 PM.

#13 urbanlife

urbanlife

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

The Coliseum Town Center doesn't look too bad. It's actually what I want Pembroke to become: an open-air, multi-story mall with on-street parking and sidewalks. It is more of an urban village which is both its selling point and detraction. It's cozy but doesn't connect with its surroundings. Anyway, the upper stories may be office space and/or condos. That's what other projects shown on Steiner's website look like. Parking lots could be converted to garages with condos/apts on top when the market or zoning allows.

Actually that was my dream to see Pembroke become. Maybe it could lead to ideas after the Coliseum mall turns into this. For Coliseum mall, there is land that can be developed north of it into a comercial district that could house towers (many of those buildings are replaceable).

One thing about Trump and Fort Monroe is that I would bet that Trump was interested in putting in a golf course and a hotel resort deal for the north end of the island. I think creating a small commercial district with some classic looking hotels and housing. That would be such a great money maker for the city.

#14 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

Town Center proposed to replace Coliseum Mall

The city of Hampton may eventually have something in common with Virginia Beach and Newport News, a town center.....

"The new development would have office space, residences, and entertainment, to go along with retail stores...."

The pilot dropped the ball on this one. :rolleyes: Good news for Hampton though.

#15 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

<_< blech! Nevermind. This is the same thing as the "Peninsula Town Center". Still don't know how I feel about it.

#16 hoobo

hoobo

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

<_< blech! Nevermind. This is the same thing as the "Peninsula Town Center". Still don't know how I feel about it.

It'll be a mixed-use pedestrian-oriented development. The main question is how all these Coliseum area project tie into one another.

#17 rusthebuss

rusthebuss

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

:rofl: Its a fake TC. Hold maybe they really have something in common with Chesapeake :rolleyes: :rofl:

#18 urbanfan

urbanfan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

:rofl: Its a fake TC. Hold maybe they really have something in common with Chesapeake :rolleyes: :rofl:

First of all, the whole district there is more dense than all of chesapeake. That area was much like the pembroke area. Office buildings strewn throughout, (four to ten stories). These dense projects and the possible addition of towers could create a fill-in and create a dense area of mixed use. They have one thing going for them over Newport News if they are succesfful. Room to grow. Alot of the land is already owned by the City at the Convention and colliseum, there is already a dense area of hotels just above, the bass pro shops and power plant abuts it. The shopping center to the right of the mall has also been indentified to create a mixed use development. The notion that you need tall skyscrapers to create urban density is just silly. Look at all of the older cities in Europe. Most of these cities are huge without a single skyscraper. Density = need for sprouting up. Sprouting up does not equal density.

#19 vdogg

vdogg

Megalopolis

• Moderators
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

I'm just not sure I like the overall design. The rendering that they have really doesn't have an urban feel to it. I don't care if it has skyscrapers, i'd prefer those stay downtown anyway when Hampton is concerned, I'd just like to see a better overall design for the project. That project would look great in Williamsburg. In Hampton, I think they should go in a different direction.

#20 rusthebuss

rusthebuss

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

I'm just not sure I like the overall design. The rendering that they have really doesn't have an urban feel to it. I don't care if it has skyscrapers, i'd prefer those stay downtown anyway when Hampton is concerned, I'd just like to see a better overall design for the project. That project would look great in Williamsburg. In Hampton, I think they should go in a different direction.

Thats the same opinion that I have. Urbanfan I think you miss read our comments. It doesn't feel urban to me but suburban. The design could be a bit better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users