-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Skyline in the South

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Which city has the best skyline? (85 member(s) have cast votes)

Which city has the best skyline?

1. Dallas (4 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Atlanta (20 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. Houston (24 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. Miami (13 votes [15.48%])

Percentage of vote: 15.48%

5. Charlotte (13 votes [15.48%])

Percentage of vote: 15.48%

6. Nasheville (10 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

Vote

#1 Rwarky

Rwarky

Whistle-Stop

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Which southern city has the best skyline, and why?

#2 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I like Atlanta's because it has several skylines, and a panorama shot that captures all of them is simply awesome. As far as skylines go, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami are the big shots in the South; no other cities have such a critical mass as yet to compete with them.

#3 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Houston I say. It has multiple skylines as well, and they are all most impressive.

#4 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

Houston's skyline is certainly impressive, but the thing I don't like about it is that no one tower stands out to me; they all seem to be rather bland individually. Collectively, they do make a statement, however.

#5 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

the poll is about identifying the best skyline not the best building ;) :D

I do have to say that aside from the Bank of America Center in Houston, no building really stands out in that city. To me anyways.

Edited by moonshield, 23 March 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#6 Greens!

Greens!

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

these are my favorite shots of Houston

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Carbo04

Carbo04

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

Jax. Not as big, or dense but on the river with the lit up bridges. Awesome.

#8 Newnan

Newnan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

I'm from Atlanta and LOVE our rapidly growing skyline(s), but the scenery and geography around the skyline is important to the overall skyline effect so I'll go with Miami

#9 dragonfly

dragonfly

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

the poll is about identifying the best skyline not the best building ;) :D

I do have to say that aside from the Bank of America Center in Houston, no building really stands out in that city. To me anyways.

Now I understand what Nashville folks on this website are saying about Charlotte area folks vis-a-vis buildings and boosterism, how else can you explain this negativity? Here's boosterism for you: Have you guys been here and explored all the buildings in the 8-1/2 skylines here? You take away Charlotte BOA and Houston's #3 skyline cluster (greenway plaza) would equal Charlotte's. The #2 cluster (West Loop /Galleria) blows away all of the skylines in the Southeast outside Atlanta and Miami, to say nothing of downtown Houston. Come over, visit the jaw-dropping waterwall which is a huge U-shaped (HVAC evaporator) sculpture at the Williams tower on the West Loop. This sculpture and the tower are separated by football field length lawn where dozens of kids frolic in the evening. Here's Emporis page on this beauty: http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117714

Check out Pennzoil Place (I & II) which has an all-glass huge lobby with two 36 floor towers piercing the floor and canopy, with the corners of the towers separated by 20 ft: http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117716

And while you're at it check out the Mayan influence in this 53 floor structure: http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117639

For interesting shapes, see http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117667 and http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117645 this last one on the western edge of the West Loop about 8 mi from downtown.

Get here while the weather's fine, OK?

Edited by dragonfly, 23 March 2006 - 11:00 PM.

#10 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

No negativity here, just an honest observation. The skyline as a whole is definitely overwhelming, but it's just that TO ME, no individual towers really stand out (maybe BOA); I think it's due to the relative lack of crowns and/or spires atop the towers. Not once did I chump Houston to play up some other city, so there's no boosterism going on here.

Edited by krazeeboi, 23 March 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#11 peaceloveunderstanding

peaceloveunderstanding

Town

• Members+
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

Now I understand what Nashville folks on this website are saying about Charlotte area folks vis-a-vis buildings and boosterism, how else can you explain this negativity? Here's boosterism for you: Have you guys been here and explored all the buildings in the 8-1/2 skylines here? You take away Charlotte BOA and Houston's #3 skyline cluster (greenway plaza) would equal Charlotte's. The #2 cluster (West Loop /Galleria) blows away all of the skylines in the Southeast outside Atlanta and Miami, to say nothing of downtown Houston. Come over, visit the jaw-dropping waterwall which is a huge U-shaped (HVAC evaporator) sculpture at the Williams tower on the West Loop. This sculpture and the tower are separated by football field length lawn where dozens of kids frolic in the evening. Here's Emporis page on this beauty: http://www.emporis.c...m/bu/?id=117714

hehe... I voted for Houston, I think they have the most impressive skyline(s) by far in the SE. Other cities have better individual buildings.

Edited by moonshield, 24 March 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#12 southernyank

southernyank

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

I love Houstons skyline(especially in that pic posted above). My personal favorite though would be Miami. I love the exoticness(if thats a word) and color.

#13 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte come out on top here.

#14 Mobuchu

Mobuchu

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

lol, I really hope not. Kinda wish it wasn't included for that reason. Im sure some in their honest opinion might prefer Charlotte, but it really shouldn't win this poll.

Oh, and I pick Houston.

Edited by Mobuchu, 24 March 2006 - 05:10 PM.

#15 brodieseyes

brodieseyes

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:13 PM

def houston :silly:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 cowboytx26

cowboytx26

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Definitely Houston. Not only does it have a beautiful downtown skyline, but it has quite a few pretty individual buildings such as the Bank of America Center, Williams Tower, Heritage Plaza, and the architecurally famous Pennzoil Towers. I think what I like best about the Houston CBD skyline is that the individually pretty buildings don't lose their uniqueness when photographed from the north or from the west.

#17 ncguy06

ncguy06

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

Houston wins this one for me. Its got an amazing skyline that goes on and on.very nice.

#18 Student

Student

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

It would have been most appropriate and much appreciated if pitures were posted. When I get the time, I will post some of the cskyline im voting for.

#19 Greens!

Greens!

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

It is difficult to capture the entire uptown skyline, but I tried...

Posted Image

This one includes Greenway Plaza in the foreground, which is going to look much nicer when the new AIM headquarters is built.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,615 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Wow, that tower looks like a four-sided 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta. I like it. And the Uptown skyline looks like it could be two Fort Worth skylines.