Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Pete Hollis Gateway

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#141 Danmire

Danmire

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Ummm...Old Buncombe Road doesn't intersect with Stone Avenue. :huh: Do you mean Goodwin Street intersecting with Buncombe Road?

That's the spot. Thought the sign said Stone Avenue there.

#142 linkerjpatrick

linkerjpatrick

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

That's the spot. Thought the sign said Stone Avenue there.

I'm not sure if it's a misprint or just "old Greenville stubborness" but a lot of us "old timers" don't like to call things by their new names. i.e. It will always be the Daniel Building - not the "Landmark" building. New names have a hard time sticking. It's going to be hard for people to call the Pete Hollis Hwy that when they might call it Cedar Lane Road or Old Buncombe Road. BTW, the "New Camperdown Bridge is really starting to grow on me! ;)

#143 Danmire

Danmire

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

The Waterfall wall coming into Greenville looks really cool :rofl: right now all frozen over:
Posted Image

#144 gs3

gs3

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,888 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

The Waterfall wall coming into Greenville looks really cool :rofl: right now all frozen over:
Posted Image

Really cool photo (or cold as the case may be). :lol:

#145 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

City officials said Monday that Spinx has withdrawn a request to rezone residential property on West Stone Avenue in order to work with residents on a plan to develop the site near Pete Hollis Boulevard.

Resident Mike Mecklenburg told City Council on behalf of the Col. Elias Earle Historic District Association on Monday that he hopes for a development plan that will benefit everyone in the area, including residential homes on James Street, and he jokingly suggested a library branch.
Attempts to reach officials with Spinx and the engineering firm representing it on the property were unsuccessful late Monday night.
City documents show Enigma Corp. applied to change the zoning on four vacant parcels covering 0.7 acres at West Stone and Pete Hollis Boulevard from residential to “redevelopment” zoning, which is intended to promote mixed-use developments that benefit adjacent neighborhoods.
A report by city staffers concluded that although residential zoning may be unrealistic for the site, the change would be inappropriate without a “substantive redevelopment proposal.”
The city Planning Commission didn’t recommend approval, according to a memo to council.
Jean Pool, the city's planning and development manager, told council that city officials talked with Spinx representatives and suggested that officials meet with the neighborhood and city staffers to work out a plan for the property.

Glad to hear that this site isn't just going to be a convenience store. It would be good to see something positive happen here. There is another site that is targeted for a Convenience store on Poinsett across from McDonalds and Hardee's. Maybe that will transform into something better as well.

#146 Danmire

Danmire

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

I think this will be agreta add to the Pete Hollis Highway area. I like teh scale and composition of the buildings.

Gateway Gardens

#147 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

This is the same site as a previously announced project that needs to receive tax credits in order to go forward.

Either that project has been redesigned, or they didn't get the credits and this is a different developer/project.

Anyone know the story? Are these market rate units ?

#148 Greenville

Greenville

City

• Members+
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

I like the fact that these are up on the street, with parking behind. :thumbsup:

Not sure what I think of the architecture yet, but it could certainly be worse.

#149 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Not sure what I think of the architecture yet, but it could certainly be worse.

I agree. These could certainly turn out much worse or surprisingly better than the images we are seeing.

#150 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Gateway Gardens has the same developer has the May proposal. So either, the developer got the credits they needed but wanted a redesign OR they didn't get the credits and are going with market-rate units instead.

I think this is a signifcant improvement over the May proposal, IMO.

#151 Danmire

Danmire

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

Demolition work has started on the vacant lot opposite the McDonalds.  I believe that is to be a Quiktrip Gas Station.  That will be a good add to the area.  
There is also work going on in the old Labor Finders building on the other side of McDonalds.  There is a sign up there sayong "The Edge" fitness center.
Good to see some happenings on this side of town.

Demolition work has started on the vacant lot opposite the McDonalds.  I believe that is to be a Quiktrip Gas Station.  That will be a good add to the area.  
There is also work going on in the old Labor Finders building on the other side of McDonalds.  There is a sign up there sayong "The Edge" fitness center.
Good to see some happenings on this side of town.

#152 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

The Gateway Gardens project was approved by the planning commission according to the Gville News. Apparently the tax credits were approved for this project, as it seems to be proceeding. Rents range from $400-550 a month. I hope the tenants will be well-screened. That will make or break this as either a positive or a negative. I think the company that will manage it has a good record though, so hopefully, it will be positive.

#153 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

It appears construction is finally starting on the Quick Trip convenience store across from McDonalds' on Rutherford.

Also, the owner of Spinx has bought the Gene's Restaurant location. I hope he isn't planning a Convenience store there. Does anyone know if he builds/invests in other projects? Spinx also has a rezoning request for the parcel next to there currect location at Laurens and Washington.

#154 gman430

gman430

City

• Members+
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image

#155 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Is this going up on Pete Hollis next to the current Hincappie building? Or is the left side building the current building.

I love it. Will be nice to see something like this go in there.

Edit: Judging by name on the picture and Greenville GIS, this is at the corner of Pete Hollis and Echols (47 Pete Hollis) and does incorporate the existing Hincappie Building.

Edited by vicupstate, 31 January 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#156 scgubers

scgubers

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Another circle . . . . . . . :shok:

Edited by scgubers, 31 January 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#157 RestedTraveler

RestedTraveler

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Another circle . . . . . . . :shok:

What shape are bicycle tires? :thumbsup:

#158 RiverWalker

RiverWalker

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

According to a local source close to Hincapie, the mixed-use development will include additional available retail space (I didn't want to use the term "strip mall," though that is how it was described to me) as well as a small (boutique?) hotel catering to cycling enthusiasts.

#159 GvilleSC

GvilleSC

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

According to a local source close to Hincapie, the mixed-use development will include additional available retail space (I didn't want to use the term "strip mall," though that is how it was described to me) as well as a small (boutique?) hotel catering to cycling enthusiasts.

All of that is suppose to be fitting into the space in the rendering, or this is all additional?

#160 vicupstate

vicupstate

City

• Members+
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Sounds cool. GvilleSC beat me to the punch with his question. Any idea when the project will start? I love this project and hope it would encourage the folks at Sphinx to do something similiar with their land (which is caddy-corner from Hincappie's property).

Edited by vicupstate, 01 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users