Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
917 replies to this topic

#701 Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

Call me crazy, but I like it.

Of course, if 15 stories is the best we can do in that area of the city, we're never going to get that gas station built on -- not anything of note, anyway. Which is a pity, because I think that is just the perfect site for a (full-size!) Providence version of Atlanta's Westin Peachtree. :rofl:

#702 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

i wonder if the park on top of the garage would be public

No, they specifically presented it as for office workers.

#703 CtownMikey

CtownMikey

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:38 AM

Is anyone hearing rumors for the flagship tenant of the project?!!?

#704 Recchia

Recchia

Town

• Members+
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

Is it still Blue Cross Blue Shield?

#705 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

I think TPGs official word is that it is speculative construction but that they are in negotiations with possible tenants, which is probably mostly accurate.

#706 Jerry2

Jerry2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

I think TPGs official word is that it is speculative construction but that they are in negotiations with possible tenants, which is probably mostly accurate.

TD Banknorth has been snooping around Pvd..... :whistling:

#707 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

I used a TD Banknorth ATM when I was on the Cape and not only did they not charge me a foreign ATM Fee (maybe it's the SUM Network) but they gave me 10s. I love getting 10s from the ATM. :)

#708 runawayjim

runawayjim

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

I used a TD Banknorth ATM when I was on the Cape and not only did they not charge me a foreign ATM Fee (maybe it's the SUM Network) but they gave me 10s. I love getting 10s from the ATM. :)

sovereign atm's allow you to withdraw multiples of 10. it's so much nicer that way.

#709 Recchia

Recchia

Town

• Members+
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

Must be a SUM. I love them.

#710 pdxstreetcar

pdxstreetcar

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

Did anyone notice in the site plan that it shows and mentions a "historic wall" in the middle of the building which is curved? What would this be?

The back part of the building (facing the library) is structured parking and in the rendering is a framed grid of some material (concrete?, stauxn?). In my opinion, it has a bland repetitive look similar to that of the facade of the Civic Center parking garage or really any parking garage built in that time period. Perhaps they could use the existing Public Safety wall for the exterior of that portion of the building?

#711 JJK5

JJK5

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

I still have a Banknorth account from my time in Worcester. My sister works for them and I've always nagged her that they don't have any branches in RI but are moving out as far as New Jersey. I'd love to not have to go to N. Attleboro to deposit a check.

I also found it strange that there's only two TD BankNorth ATMs in all of Boston, and neither is anywhere near the "TD BankNorth" Garden. You'd think they'd pop some ATMs around there..

#712 dgreco

dgreco

City

• Members+
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I still have a Banknorth account from my time in Worcester. My sister works for them and I've always nagged her that they don't have any branches in RI but are moving out as far as New Jersey. I'd love to not have to go to N. Attleboro to deposit a check.

I also found it strange that there's only two TD BankNorth ATMs in all of Boston, and neither is anywhere near the "TD BankNorth" Garden. You'd think they'd pop some ATMs around there..

unless I am missing some TD Banknorth is in CT, MA, ME, NH, VT, NY, PA, and NJ. So they have all of new england and the tri-state area except for RI, does that make it more possible, and is there any reason why it has/is taking so long? Is it the that there is no room with citizens/boa/soveriegn?

#713 gregw

gregw

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

sovereign atm's allow you to withdraw multiples of 10. it's so much nicer that way.

I was at Logan the other day and used a Citizens ATM there. I was surprised that the Fast Cash amount was $50 instead of 60. I got 2 20s and a 10.

#714 Jerry2

Jerry2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

unless I am missing some TD Banknorth is in CT, MA, ME, NH, VT, NY, PA, and NJ. So they have all of new england and the tri-state area except for RI, does that make it more possible, and is there any reason why it has/is taking so long? Is it the that there is no room with citizens/boa/soveriegn?

You're not missing anything except that some of their mortgage operations have already moved to RI. They are preparing a bigger expansion and consolidation in RI. There are also rumors of them opening up some other banking operations here. I will update if I find out anything else. Because I am somewhat involved and the fact I'm on my employer's PC right now, I won't discuss any further. -_-

#715 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

Did anyone notice in the site plan that it shows and mentions a "historic wall" in the middle of the building which is curved? What would this be?

Yes, that would be parts (not actually explained which parts) of the original facade reassembled in some fashion (exactly what fashion was not explained) inside the Food Court.

The back part of the building (facing the library) is structured parking and in the rendering is a framed grid of some material (concrete?, stauxn?). In my opinion, it has a bland repetitive look similar to that of the facade of the Civic Center parking garage or really any parking garage built in that time period. Perhaps they could use the existing Public Safety wall for the exterior of that portion of the building?

I believe the garage is made of stauxn. They mentioned the stauxn on the Westin for reference. I believe the garage will face the most scrutiny if and when this project moves forward. I just don't understand how they could do such a good job with the Westin's garage but continue to fall flat here and at the Fogarty building.

Fleet never had any ATMs in the Garden (or at least the North Station portion), it was annoying that there were no ATMs at North Station and you were in a building a named after a damn bank. :rolleyes:

I'm on my employer's PC right now, I won't discuss any further. -_-

You people have to work this week. How barbaric!

#716 Jerry2

Jerry2

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

You people have to work this week. How barbaric!

I'm taking tomorrow off and am making a pit stop at Bowl & Board and they better be open!!! :angry:

#717 mr2448

mr2448

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

I was at Logan the other day and used a Citizens ATM there. I was surprised that the Fast Cash amount was $50 instead of 60. I got 2 20s and a 10.

Pawtucket Credit Union in Smithfield allows multiples of 1's!!

Mark

#718 provid

provid

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Don't forget ( from what I have been told ) it looks like WaterPlace is going to build an office building on the back of the lot behind the condo towers.

#719 Gusterfell

Gusterfell

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yes, that would be parts (not actually explained which parts) of the original facade reassembled in some fashion (exactly what fashion was not explained) inside the Food Court.

Pretty much the same thing was done by Newport Hospital maybe five years ago when they demolished the c.1900 Vanderbilt Wing for new expansion. The most significant part of the facade was used as an interior wall of the new atrium. It looks decent, but this sort of thing is frowned on by die-hard preservationists. I'm all for it, though, if it's the only way to save a remnant of the existing building.

I'd rather see the original facade used to cover the garage. It seems like this would be easy enough to do, as the facade has ample windows that could be used for ventilation. As the tower contains no parking, its more modern style wouldn't conflict with the old facade.

#720 Cotuit

Cotuit

Megalopolis

• Members+
  • 13,179 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

I really don't care if the building comes down as long as something good goes in its place. The Public Safety Building doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Really, just this detail on Fountain is worth much in my mind.

Posted Image

Of course having it hidden on Fountain doesn't make much sense, so I'd like to see it moved to the LaSalle Square side of the garage structure. I could see it being the main entrance for a restaurant off the square. I thought maybe it could be moved to Broadway and be the main entrance to the office building itself, but it is not really large enough for that. Here's a very crude mock up of what it could look like on the LaSalle Square facade.

Posted Image

I'd recycle stone from the rest of the building to finish that facade with ample windows (it would be nice to have all floors facing the square occupied rather than being a garage behind a facade). The use more of the stone along the other sides (Fountain and Green) of the garage in a more modern vertical orientation interspersed with whatever screening the garage needs. I'm not liking the horizontal lines on the garage or the base of the tower. I would not use the recycled stone or similar looking stauxn on the rest of the building (the woer portion), I'd rather they (the garage and the tower) appear to be seperate buildings. That could mean changing the detail stauxn on the tower to brick, or to some other stone/stauxn like perhaps what is seen on the Citizens building.