Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Nashville International Airport

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#241 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

I flew AA from here to Jackson Wyoming. From here to Dallas was a MD 80. But from Dallas and to Chicago to and from Jackson was a 757. It is a great aircraft and wonderful performer, especially for the high power take offs from Jackson that have to be made. I really wish AA would start flying the 757 in and out of here. The MD 80 fleet seems to be getting a little age on them. Hey Lexy, do you know when they went into service?

Ahhhhh....it depends on the birds. Some of the DC-9's that come into here for NWA are over 30 years old, as are some of the AA MD-80's. Most were built in the mid to late 70's and the early 80's though. Still, they are dinosaurs that NEED to be replaced badly. American could EASILY fill a 757, or two of them, here if they truely wanted to. Problem is, they love to overbook flights so that it gives them more of a profit at airports. I do know that AA is starting to retire their MD-80's, but I haven't the foggiest clue what is replacing them once they are gone.

#242 Jonny11788

Jonny11788

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

I believe AA is replacing the MD80s with 737-800s, at least on a temporary basis -- presumably until the 737's replacement is announced.

#243 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

^That is what I am starting to hear out of AA as well. At least they aren't replacing them with CRJ's like Northwest is their DC-9's.

#244 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I have to post this for everyone to see.

This is what having Embraer here in Nashville will do for ya if your a spotter like me.

Posted Image

Yep. That is the Brazilian Air Force right here in Nashville. AND, its a new model for that aircraft. A VC-99C is what that is, not a VC-99B. This was a really, really cool sight to see here!!

#245 frankliner

frankliner

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

Thats a nice plane!!! When I was in Brasil, I noticed the Air Force has some pretty nice facilities (especially for their upper level staff).

#246 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

That shot is getting used in an airline publication soon. Come to find out, it is very, very, very rare to see these jets in the continental USA. So I was quickly informed of how "lucky" I was to actually see one first hand. How neat is that? LOL!!!

#247 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

Bunch of updates to the gallery this weekend. A bunch!

Including the Nashville Predators chartered plane, both up close and inside it, and others.

http://www.pbase.com...e...port&page=1

Here's a sample pic.

USAF C-32B (757-200)
Posted Image

Edited by Lexy, 17 September 2006 - 03:21 PM.

#248 uptownliving

uptownliving

Town

• Members+
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

Lexy, I noticed a number of US Air Force planes in your pics. Why are all those Air Force planes coming to BNA?

#249 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Well two reason stand out, actually four reasons. One is the the proximity to Fort Campbell. When things and events shut down their runway, everything that would normally fly into there comes here instead. Two. Nashville has a Air National Guard base that is part of the Air Force Reserves. Three. Nashville is close to the Air Force Research Base in Tullahoma, Tennessee. So any deliveries and such come here instead of using the small strip at their base. And four, Nashville is typically a re-fueling stop on cross-country missions. It is a convienent airport where they (the USAF) can get in and refuel, stretch a bit, and then head out on the rest of their mission. I hope that answers your question. There are other more "important" reasons, but I really don't feel comfortable putting them on the net. And that basically has to do with the all-white USAF 757's that fly in to here periodically. Ones like the one pictured above and this one spotted here recently.
Posted Image

Here is a highlight of the recent updates on it. Two pictures that are truely cool!

Nashville Predators Charter jet. Midwest Airlines MD-81.
Posted Image

Delta Air Lines Boeing 757 flight 1790 to Atlanta.
Posted Image

Edited by Lexy, 18 September 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#250 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

Airport Construction Update!!!

FedEx has already outgrown their new facility. Word is they are expanding their capabilities here and will be adding both onto their sorting building here and to their parking slots on their apron here. Going from three parking positions to seven within the next year or two. The cargo apron is also about to be expanded down rwy. 13-31 on both sides with large terminals built for more cargo capabilites. This will be huge! Also, Delta continues to see high PAX numbers on their new 757 service here. US Airways is also introducing a A319 to service here for their Las Vegas flights and I believe their Philly flights. I can see 10 million PAX by the end of THIS YEAR here which is a new record and a very, very positive sign. As our city grows, so will our airport and its offereings.

Boeing 757-200
Posted Image

Boeing 767-300
Posted Image

Edited by Lexy, 24 September 2006 - 02:08 PM.

#251 nashvillwill

nashvillwill

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

For the record, I just got back from my Jet Blue trip to NY. The airline is a pleasure to fly, and a hell of a deal! They are building a whole new terminal at JFK. I hope to see more connecting flights from BNA in the future. LOVE THIS AIRLINE!

#252 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

^ Supposedly, the plan is to have more destinations from here. I would love for them to fly from here to the Carribean destinations. At least one or two from here.

#253 Jonny11788

Jonny11788

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

I would guess that jetBlue will add flights to Boston if the JFK flights are doing good enough... Boston is often the 2nd city they add. (Besides, that'd give me a good excuse to try them, as Boston University is one of the colleges on my short list.) :)

#254 Shakman

Shakman

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

10 million PAX a record??? I certainly thought BNA served more than 10 million PAX when American had a hub at BNA. It sure seemed like it.

#255 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

^ No, but you would think that. They actually beat the old record earlier this year with 9.5 million. The American Airlines hub that was here wasn't a large one. It was on the same scale as St. Louis is today. The largest jet that flew into here was a Boeing 767 which was used for the London flight (which we should have back!!!). Everything else was MD-80's and 727's.

#256 ATLBrain

ATLBrain

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Lexy, do you think there is demand for a flight to London?

I really enjoy flying in/out of BNA. It's easy to get through and not nearly the mad house that we have here. That's why I choose to drive whenever I have to go to Nashville, Chattanooga, Birmingham and Charlotte. Anywhere else, I'll have to fly.

#257 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

Beyond a shadow of doubt there is. The one we had was actually MAKING MONEY!! LOL!! They only pulled it cause of one, the hub left here and two, they could'nt get enough Business Class seats filled. Other than that, the cargo on that route set records that have yet to be broken for AA. They made money, and I have heard from insiders that American actually formally apologized to both the city and the airport officals for dropping that flight here. They screwed up by dropping Nashville as a hub prematurely and leaving the St. Louis airport as a hub after the TWA merger. Almost anybody at AA will tell you that. AA eff'up and they know it. That is why they still have such a large presence at the airport to this day.

I'll go on record as saying Nashville ranks, in my opinion, as one of the most underserved international destinations in the country. Period. All it takes is a short stroll down Broadway or other downtown streets to see that there is certainly a market of that type to be had out of this airport. you could also throw in St. Louis and Kansas City as the other two most underserved in the country. Question is, who has enough motivation to start the service from here????

Edited by Lexy, 26 September 2006 - 08:12 PM.

#258 ATLBrain

ATLBrain

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

AA has a large presence at BNA? I haven't noticed. But then again, I never fly them. However I have been down that concourse a number of times when I've flown SWA to Birmingham and Orlando and other Florida cities. I'd fly SWA more if I could. They're a huge thing for BNA, especially their flights to Florida cities. I'm going to fly them from BNA to Vegas next spring.

I think it's a bit disappointing that Tennessee's congressional delegation has done next to nothing to get the Wright Amendment overturned. Richard Shelby got that done successfully a few years ago for Birmingham. It will expire now in about (how many??? 7-8 years), but in the meantime all those SWA flights will have to go through other cities from BNA. Repealing Wright would have been a really effective way to "stick a finger in AA's eye" after they pulled out of BNA. But I get the sense that Tennessee's senators are absolutely ineffective.

Edited by ATLBrain, 26 September 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#259 nashvillwill

nashvillwill

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

I would guess that jetBlue will add flights to Boston if the JFK flights are doing good enough... Boston is often the 2nd city they add. (Besides, that'd give me a good excuse to try them, as Boston University is one of the colleges on my short list.) :)

I honestly don't know much about air travel logistics and financing, but with a direct to NY would the most sensible next route be Boston? It's basically the same flight path from here, minus the lay-over.

I was hoping for Chicago, Orlando, New Orleans, KC, DC, or even something out west!

Any input?

P.S.-- Jonny, what other schools are you considering? Under or Grad?

#260 Lexy

Lexy

Town

• Members+
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

AA has a large presence at BNA? I haven't noticed. But then again, I never fly them. However I have been down that concourse a number of times when I've flown SWA to Birmingham and Orlando and other Florida cities. I'd fly SWA more if I could. They're a huge thing for BNA, especially their flights to Florida cities. I'm going to fly them from BNA to Vegas next spring.

I think it's a bit disappointing that Tennessee's congressional delegation has done next to nothing to get the Wright Amendment overturned. Richard Shelby got that done successfully a few years ago for Birmingham. It will expire now in about (how many??? 7-8 years), but in the meantime all those SWA flights will have to go through other cities from BNA. Repealing Wright would have been a really effective way to "stick a finger in AA's eye" after they pulled out of BNA. But I get the sense that Tennessee's senators are absolutely ineffective.

It doesn't help that a majority of Congressional members at the time there was an AA hub here were from Memphis and hated Nashville with a deep, deep passion. So going to bat for something that benefits nashville was a no no. Of course, times have changed and now most politicians from there are gone, or removed from office (LOL), and the leaders are mostly from Nashville and its surrounding areas. But, they remain ineffective. Oh well. Repealling the Wright Amendment would be a HUGE thing for Nashville, but that's not in the cards. The airport knows this and that is why they are banking on cargo traffic and possibly a new hub from another airline like Frontier or something. WN can only take you so far, and with their snails pace speed toward international flights....it isn't helping this airport achieve it's maximum potential. WN was a bridge and a revenue maker in the absense of AA. Airport leaders know this and that is why you are seeing things change out there so quickly.

nashvillewill, a flight to Logan would be easy. But I would rather see flights to places like Des Moines, Little Rock, Omaha, Manchester (NH), and others from here. We already have Boston flights and more flights to NYC than you can count daily. I would like to see some PAX generating flights to smaller cities like thsoe above. Get people here, then move them to where they want to go. Similar to a hub, but just a Focus City. Light a fire under WN's butt!! LOL!!! But I would be happy with a B6 (JetBlue) flight to Boston. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't have them to begin with.

Edited by Lexy, 26 September 2006 - 09:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users