Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#161 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

Metropolis

• Moderators
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Great job.
I agree we need a thread pinned at the top called phots or Nashville pics.

I saw the construction equpiment outside the Madam X buiding saturday and figured it was about to come down. Maybe this bodes well for the Terrazzo and the Sliver building getting started soon.

#162 frankliner

frankliner

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

[quote name='Nashvillain' date='Dec 20 2006, 08:57 PM' post='649282']

This is the first time I've seen the finished Schermer. This thing is fantastic, very humbling, gratifying and with all the benches and courtyards, infinitely study-able and rewarding. We are very lucky to have this in Nashville. I went inside and checked out the lobby before the guards told me to get lost, the interior is pretty scrumptulescent as well. Free tours at 1:00pm on Wednesdays by the way.

The aforementioned sculpture by Audrey Flack, the craftsmen were touching up some of the trim pieces and stone pavement that didn't set right due to the heavy rain last Tuesday.

I wanted to see what was left of the original facade of the Trail West. Not much apparently.

Great posts!!!. I am living in the UK and won't return to America until August, so this is a great way for me to see how the city is changing, thanks so much.

Some ideas that sprung from your pictures:

First, It would be so great (to me) if they restored that wall painting on the Trail West painting if (and probably when) the Westin project finally goes through. It would go a long way to helping allay some concerns on destroying Broadway's heritage by restoring it!!! I haven't heard them mention this in their plans before, so I hope someone will plant the bug in their ear.

I screwed up getting that statue's picture (actually, all of the pictures I wanted to show, oh well) in my reply, but it looks absolutely amazing. I am guessing this is new since the Schermerhorn opened and really adds to an already GREAT plaza.

Finally, the Schermerhorn itself is an example to me of why copying old styles works. People that complain about the practise. I agree we are lucky to have it in Nashville and hope that people can find inspiration for further public projects in how it turned out. I'm not saying every major project needs to be neo-classical in Nashville, but I think playing up the image of Athens of the South even through contemporary projects in the built environment can broaden our appeal for many years to come. That and I really like the neo-classical look (there's a reason it's been around a couple of millenia :D ).

Edited by frankliner, 21 December 2006 - 12:45 PM.

#163 Nashvillain

Nashvillain

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

This is just wishful thinking, but the parking lot at the corner of 10th Ave. S. and Demonbreun, right across from Cummins Station and directly behind the Frist Center, would be an ideal spot for a new mixed-use project. Retail and residential or maybe office if there's need. This could be one of the most desirable spots in downtown. One block from Broadway, a short stroll to Cannery Row, at the foot of the Demonbreun Viaduct and thus an easy walk to the Gulch and just on the other side of Cummins Station from the land port which could be the future sight of a light rail station. Anybody with deep pockets want to make a bid on this lot and get the ball rolling?

#164 frankliner

frankliner

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

This is just wishful thinking, but the parking lot at the corner of 10th Ave. S. and Demonbreun, right across from Cummins Station and directly behind the Frist Center, would be an ideal spot for a new mixed-use project. Retail and residential or maybe office if there's need. This could be one of the most desirable spots in downtown. One block from Broadway, a short stroll to Cannery Row, at the foot of the Demonbreun Viaduct and thus an easy walk to the Gulch and just on the other side of Cummins Station from the land port which could be the future sight of a light rail station. Anybody with deep pockets want to make a bid on this lot and get the ball rolling?

That area is in the process of being included in the revised special assessment district for the nashville downtown partnership. This would provide the area with certain services but a slightly higher tax rate. I think it'll be settled by next year. This might improve the viability of redevelopment at this spot, but I believe the lot is owned by Central parking or the Methodist Church both of which aren't really known for their redevelopment prowess (on a related note, there have been rumours that they are considering moving their printing facility out of downtown) So I wouldn't hold my breath :( .

#165 Hankster

Hankster

Town

• Members+
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

The aforementioned sculpture by Audrey Flack, the craftsmen were touching up some of the trim pieces and stone pavement that didn't set right due to the heavy rain last Tuesday.
Posted Image

What a beautiful sculpture and addition to the Schermerhorn. They just keep adding more wonderful touches to the building grounds. It is truly a showcase for Nashville! Thanks for posting these pictures.

Here you can see the R&R building slated to be demolished for the Westin. Last I heard the storefronts housing the law firms next door are going to come down so Barber can recoup the cost for LEED certification. Please tell me that the Pesca and Past Perfect buildings aren't slated for demo, too.
Posted Image

I wanted to see what was left of the original facade of the Trail West. Not much apparently.
Posted Image

Here's the rest of the block, Nashville won't be losing much in these two if the Westin is built. The 2nd Ave. side, the side of the Decades club is blank brick wall.
Posted Image

The Pesca and Past Perfect buildings are not slated for demolition. I have never thought there was much to lose with any of the other buildings. The R&R building really does nothing for me. The rest I care about even less. If any of the buildings slated for demo were like the 4 story building directly across Broadway from the Trail West, I'd be complaining big time about their demolition. As it is, I think Nashville and Broadway will be enhanced, not hurt, by the Westin project.

#166 urbanbna

urbanbna

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

i found a new rendering of the Adventure Scince Center Sudekum Observatory slated for construction soon

Posted Image

#167 barakat

barakat

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

^ Is this an observatory or a planetarium? It seems an astronomical observatory would need to be removed from the effects of city lights.

#168 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

Metropolis

• Moderators
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

A planetarium. The only observatory is out in the Forest Hills area close to Brentwood. Its Vanderbilt's.

#169 urbanbna

urbanbna

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

sorry, planetarium

#170 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

A planetarium. The only observatory is out in the Forest Hills area close to Brentwood. Its Vanderbilt's.

That's right, and is very cool, I might add. I spent the night in it once. :w00t: I was wondering though. Why is the planetarium a giant cone? I always thought they were domes.

#171 urbanbna

urbanbna

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

there probably is a dome under that, but a cone for looks on top of it

#172 barakat

barakat

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm sure the new planetarium will be nice, but after visiting the Hayden Planetarium in NYC, I'm not sure they will be on the same level. It was such a great experience. Anyone else been there?

http://haydenplanetarium.org/index.php

#173 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

That place is so cool. I hope this can be as good.

#174 Nashvillain

Nashvillain

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Here's a link to a photo gallery from the Tennessean showcasing some of the under construction and completed condo projects downtown. It has some nice views from the upper floors of the Viridian plus a cool shot of the green roof on the Westview.

Condo Craze

#175 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Those are pretty cool. But does anyone else think that the green tint on the Viridian windows make the inside look really dull and depressing? It makes it look like the sky is cloudy everyday.

#176 Nashvillain

Nashvillain

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

NewsChannel 5 has a video piece about the new retail set to open soon at the new Martin's Corner building in East Nashville. This is a really nice looking infill development, although I wouldn't be hella excited about a Salon and Yoga/Therapy studio if I lived in the neighborhood. It's better than a crime infested package store, unless you're a john or a crackhead.

NewsChannel 5.com

Any takers on an East Nashville photo thread?

#177 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

That is a very nice looking building. I can't wait to see the area more filled with these kinds of developments. And really, a salon and yoga aren't too bad for this kind of project. Both should get pretty good traffic in and out, which will be good.

#178 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

Metropolis

• Moderators
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:11 AM

The building is where William is living till his condo at the Encore is finished. There are more buildings planned for that area.

#179 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:20 AM

Have any of these plans been released, or are they all still in development?

Edited by cheeriokid61, 07 January 2007 - 12:21 AM.

#180 smeagolsfree

smeagolsfree

Metropolis

• Moderators
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

Have any of these plans been released, or are they all still in development?

I spoke to William when we were doing a tour of the area and he said there were a couple of more buildings to be built. I cannot get the Martin corner web site up at this time.

Here you go. If you dont have flash player, you will have to download it.

http://www.martincorner.com/

Edited by smeagolsfree, 07 January 2007 - 11:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users