Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Florida Subway System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 gjoseph

gjoseph

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

Earlier today I was on google searching for "Florida Subway System" and I found this:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's some history on the system:
The Merritt Island Subway Authority [MISA] was created in 1958 by a forward looking Brevard County government in response to the rapid growth of Americaís space program at Cape Canaveral.

Its original Executive Director, John McIntosh, obtained funding from the Federal Government and Brevard County for a preliminary study of the areaís growth and the potential for a large-scale subway system. The subway would eliminate the need for an extensive above ground road and highway system, reduce the number of automobiles and trucks on the roadways, and consequently preserve the natural beauty of the area.

In 1963 the Federal Government, NASA, and Brevard County approved construction funding for the first subway section of the Merritt Island Subway System. This section would begin at 520 and Courtenay Parkway and end at the space center in North Brevard.

Completed in 1966, the Merritt Island Subway System proved an immediate success, serving space program employees and area visitors. Additional legs of the system were added in the early 1970ís to link Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, and Patrick Air Force Base. Cocoa Village and the Wickham area were added in the late 1970ís.

The System became more valuable and indispensable as tourism became a larger part of the Brevard economy in the 1980ís.

Stations are being added as the demands of Merritt Islandís growth require additional Subway service.
Why don't other major cities in Florida have one??

#2 poonther

poonther

Town

• Members+
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:36 AM

Other cities in FL don't have a subway like Merritt Island's b/c it doesn't exist. The entire website is a hoax/joke.

Here's a fast explanation:

Graphic designer Steve Hall's tongue-in-cheek transit system has been the buzz of Brevard County since he posted it in March at misubwayauth.org

Read more about it here

Sorry. I do wish it were real.

Edited by poonther, 13 August 2006 - 01:37 AM.

#3 JRS1

JRS1

Town

• Members+
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

for a second, I thought that I slid into an alternate reality.

#4 sunshine

sunshine

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

But part of Miami extension train system are supposed to be underground if I remember correct.

#5 bulldogger

bulldogger

Town

• Members+
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

But part of Miami extension train system are supposed to be underground if I remember correct.

That's what they said. I believe that is an extension that starts downtown and heads due west. The part in downtown is supposed to be underground and then it would go above ground once it leaves the DT area. That's what I read previously.

#6 asonj23

asonj23

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

That's a pretty well orchestrated hoax.

I've spent plenty of time in Merrit Island visiting extended family and thought I had been hoodwinked! :whistling:

#7 insituphoto

insituphoto

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

The only place in Florida that could conceivably have underground transportation is Tallahassee. Everywhere else in Florida has too shallow of a water table and anything underground would flood on a daily basis, not to mention during a hurricane. Same reason 95% of houses in Florida don't have basements!

#8 tampasteve

tampasteve

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

The only place in Florida that could conceivably have underground transportation is Tallahassee. Everywhere else in Florida has too shallow of a water table and anything underground would flood on a daily basis, not to mention during a hurricane. Same reason 95% of houses in Florida don't have basements!

Good point. Now, while a subway is typically thought of as being mostly underground it does not technically have to be BELOW ground. For example, it could be a tunnel that is under dirt, but actually be above sea level, or nearly street level. The rail could run in a tunnnel built under a elevated street, or concieveably through a built up embankment or building making it technically a subway for that portion of the track. It could even be under water, like under the intercoastal from the main land to an island, effectivly making it a subway again. The key here is that it is possible to build the track, even likely that it will happen sometime, but it is highly unlikely that the stations would be underground, though it is possible.

Steve

#9 Tallaman

Tallaman

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

I am trying to develop a piece of property on Thomasville Rd. in Tallahassee and found out that the water table is only about 17 feet below surface at an elevation of about 220 feet. My water retention area will have to be bigger to achieve the necessary volume. I thought I'd be much higher and drier in this part of Florida.

#10 depechecureguyorl

depechecureguyorl

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

I recently heard that the word "Gullible" and it's definition was removed from Webster's Dictionary. Is this true??? :rolleyes:

Edited by depechecureguyorl, 22 August 2006 - 10:06 AM.