Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Orlando "Creative Village"

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#101 Theflytyr

Theflytyr

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Never rule out the "for profits" looking at this as a way to diversify their revenue. Can you say Univ of Phoenix, Ross Univ, etc.

#102 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Wish list: Art Institute of Orlando Johnson & Wales OSAD (Orlando School of Art & Design)

#103 smileguy

smileguy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Wish list: Art Institute of Orlando Johnson & Wales OSAD (Orlando School of Art & Design)

A true art school would be an amazing addition to the West side of I-4... even in old industrial buildings.  It would bring new life to the area (young and vibrant and fearless/foolish,) physical improvements through guerrilla art and public installations and help breathe life into under-leased neighborhoods.

#104 nite owℓ

nite owℓ

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Unless anything changed, VCC might be the "major educational anchor" mentioned in the OBJ article. This was mentioned in the project overview submitted to the US DOT for the Tiger II grant (E/W Lymmo):

"Once infrastructure is in place, the development team has commitments to develop an 80,000 square foot Digital Technology and Arts Program building for Valencia Community College (VCC), 100,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space, and 30-50 units of mixed income for-sale housing by the end of 2014. At build out, the development is anticipated to have up to 1.0 million square feet of office space, upwards of 500,000 square feet of higher education facilities, up to 265,000 square feet of retail, 150-200 hotel rooms, and as much as 1,500 units of mixed income housing. As the broad based investment and supporting commitments referenced throughout this application indicate, the project is being positioned and supported by major industry and educational institutions in the State to become the center for collaborative learning, research, and associated business activity in Central Florida over the next several decades."

Edited by nite owℓ, 20 December 2012 - 12:21 PM.

• smileguy likes this

#105 Joey Frenchfries

Joey Frenchfries

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Unless anything changed, VCC might be the "major educational anchor" mentioned in the OBJ article. This was mentioned in the project overview submitted to the US DOT for the Tiger II grant (E/W Lymmo):

"Once infrastructure is in place, the development team has commitments to develop an 80,000 square foot Digital Technology and Arts Program building for Valencia Community College (VCC), 100,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space, and 30-50 units of mixed income for-sale housing by the end of 2014. At build out, the development is anticipated to have up to 1.0 million square feet of office space, upwards of 500,000 square feet of higher education facilities, up to 265,000 square feet of retail, 150-200 hotel rooms, and as much as 1,500 units of mixed income housing. As the broad based investment and supporting commitments referenced throughout this application indicate, the project is being positioned and supported by major industry and educational institutions in the State to become the center for collaborative learning, research, and associated business activity in Central Florida over the next several decades."

Wow. do you have a link to the source?

#106 nite owℓ

nite owℓ

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sure, here's a link to the 2010 Tiger II application which summarizes plans for the CV. It's mentioned on the fourth page.

Also, our speculations on this forum were even mentioned in the OBJ here and here (erm... that reporter guy referred to it as the "Creative Village's crazy train").

The UCF & UF partnership already anchor the Creative Village so it doesn't seem like top secret news if they were going to expand IMO. Full Sail recently spent millions to expand near their current location in Winter Park, so it seems safe to say that they have no interest in moving to Parramore right now. I think it's Valencia is because 1) they were the only one to submit specific details in writing and 2) they're selling the Valencia Foundation administrative building on Orange Ave which makes me think they don't need more than one presence in downtown Orlando.

Just my 2 cents. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me who the major anchor is going to be... I'm just glad the CV is finally coming to fruition. There were many critics who said it would NEVER happen so now they'll have to eat crow.

Edited by nite owℓ, 02 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#107 smileguy

smileguy

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Here's the text from Valencia's support letter in the Tiger II application - 

The Parramore Creative Village project provides us with a unique opportunity to establish a presence in Downtown Orlando for our digital technology and arts programs. The construction of a facility for these programs is high on our list of priorities and we see the opportunity for some great synergy by locating within the Creative Village project. We plan to build a state-of-the-art facility which will be approximately 80,000 square feet and is expected to cost approximately $23 million. Locating in the Creative Village will provide us with the opportunity to leverage off of the existing programs already offered there by the University of Central Florida and other existing and potential educational institutions which are looking to develop a presence in the Village.
The transit linkages planned within and surrounding the project are particularly valuable to Valencia given that those linkages will tie our existing network of regional campuses and provide easy access for our students, faculty, and staff.

#108 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I keep thinking of the Holy Roman Empire which was not holy, Roman or an empire. The "Creative Village" is neither creative nor a village. I recall SCAD redoing a moribund section of downtown Savannah and being remarkably successful and pining for the idea of converting our real "village" alon Orange Avenue. Instead we're going to get big box architecture. Oh well, no one ever accused Buddy of subtlety.

• Captain.Metro likes this

#109 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

^It's also not in Parramore, not really.

#110 nite owℓ

nite owℓ

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Well the CV is technically located in "Callahan" and most people wouldn't even know where that is anyway. However, most people would definitely consider it Parramore.

Here's the city's interpretation: "The Parramore neighborhood is approximately one sqaure mile in area bounded on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (SR 441), to the east by Interstate 4, to the south by Gore Street and to the north by West Colonial Drive (SR 50)".

• spenser1058 likes this

#111 alex

alex

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I remember Usteler saying that "Creative Village" is more of a name placeholder.  Despite the renderings showing that name, in reality they want to wait until the area is established to name it.

#112 prahaboheme

prahaboheme

Town

• Members+
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I remember Usteler saying that "Creative Village" is more of a name placeholder.  Despite the renderings showing that name, in reality they want to wait until the area is established to name it.

WeHug

(West of Hughley)

• smileguy likes this

#113 alex

alex

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

WeHug

(West of Hughley)

Pug - Parramore at Hughley 

#114 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well the CV is technically located in "Callahan" and most people wouldn't even know where that is anyway. However, most people would definitely consider it Parramore.

Here's the city's interpretation: "The Parramore neighborhood is approximately one sqaure mile in area bounded on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (SR 441), to the east by Interstate 4, to the south by Gore Street and to the north by West Colonial Drive (SR 50)".

Wow - someone that knows about Callahan - definitely a part of old Orlando. My heart goes pitter-pat!

#115 Jernigan

Jernigan

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I had figured Michael CantWin had moved back to St Louis, but it seems he is still he, still without a real job, and still being a gnat on Orlando's skin http://www.orlandose...0,6263711.story

#116 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I had figured Michael CantWin had moved back to St Louis, but it seems he is still he, still without a real job, and still being a gnat on Orlando's skin http://www.orlandose...0,6263711.story

There is, sadly, a small (and ironically, given the context of the article, mostly all white) wing of the Orange County DEC that is, as one wag once put it, made up of the "old Left, the new Left and what's left." There's an interesting conundrum to it, however: it signals the coming of age of an urban political class. Gadflies such as Cantone (and others such as Doug Head, who actually wields some power in that the press reflexively looks to him for the "Democratic" point of view - no matter how small a sliver of the party it actually represents.) help move important parts of the agenda (diversity, gender  and marriage equality, the sick-time fight) that bring Orlando closer to creative, 1st-tier cities and take us away from the Jackson, Mississippis of the world. Meanwhile, mainstream Democrats like Buddy, the Stuarts, the Demings with Scott Randolph as a bridge actually translate some of the wilder ideas into governance. In the 80's, we saw a mirror image of the model in the GOP with outliers such as Doug Guetzloe but that era is over in Orange County politics.

#117 spenser1058

spenser1058

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

People... PLACE... Possibilities

A bio piece on Craig Ustler in Orlando Magazine that also includes a little info on CV:

http://www.orlandoma...-Possibilities/

Edited by spenser1058, 06 January 2013 - 09:44 AM.

• nite owℓ likes this

#118 nite owℓ

nite owℓ

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I wonder if Mike realizes the majority of the people who own property in Parramore 1) don't actually live there, 2) are diverse ethnicities i.e. black, white, asian, etc and 3) want to see the neighborhood improved. Wonder if he cried when people began renovating the delipated homes surrounding Lake Eola or when Thornton Park gentrified...

"[Creative Village] will be built on an empty space. It's not displacing anybody," said Orlando spokeswoman Heather hagan. "Creative Village will have educational institutions, parks, and other amenities. All the things Parramore residents want. It's a leap to say otherwise."

Edited by nite owℓ, 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#119 Captain.Metro

Captain.Metro

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

LOL. We're those photos taken on an early Sunday afternoon with no one walking around?

#120 Abent1988

Abent1988

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Does anyone know when the "pollution" situation will be resolved? I'd like to see this project move forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users