Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

• Please log in to reply
1916 replies to this topic

#941 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

That is why I wrote 'considered'. I read up a bit on that claim, and it was reported in the papers because a congressman listed it as a likely contender for the stimulus, because they are looking for ready to go projects, and that is NC's worst bridge and the engineering has been done for the project and is ready to 'let'.

#942 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

Its my understanding that in order to be considered for this stimulus package, projects have to be ready for construction. That means planning, design, and engineering are complete. I'm assuming this means that NCDOT has had plans for the bridge, they just didn't have the money to pay for construction.

#943 Andyc545

Andyc545

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Its my understanding that in order to be considered for this stimulus package, projects have to be ready for construction. That means planning, design, and engineering are complete. I'm assuming this means that NCDOT has had plans for the bridge, they just didn't have the money to pay for construction.

From my understanding and what has been reported in the national media, that is correct. Projects have to be ready in time for the stimulus and they can't sit on the money.

#944 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

While its hardly perfect, this is an intriguing tool: http://www.optimalho...EstateTool.html

You put in the locations you most commonly go (you can put in street intersections, ala Kings Dr at Charlottetowne Ave), and it spits out the geographic center of those points. My optimal location is approximately inside the Greek Orthodox Church on East Blvd.

I wonder how many people, through suburban design, would find themselves miles off their "center"

(via Treehugger)

#945 JayGee

JayGee

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

Well it's official. The next leg of 485 is supposed to open tomorrow. What an unbelievable p*****g contest this has been lately.

#946 nyxmike

nyxmike

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Along with the I-85 Yadkin River bridge, NCDOT is hoping to get two more projects funded if the economic stimulus passes: the last portion of I-485 and the NC 73 widening in Huntersville to NC 115.

#947 Neo

Neo

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

Along with the I-85 Yadkin River bridge, NCDOT is hoping to get two more projects funded if the economic stimulus passes: the last portion of I-485 and the NC 73 widening in Huntersville to NC 115.

How quickly could they get started on the final portion of I-485 and the NC73 project? I am under the impression that both of these projects are not 'shovel ready' meaning that they would not be applicable to this stimulus package.

It would be great if all of the mentioned projects could be worked in and completed.

#948 nyxmike

nyxmike

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

How quickly could they get started on the final portion of I-485 and the NC73 project? I am under the impression that both of these projects are not 'shovel ready' meaning that they would not be applicable to this stimulus package.

It would be great if all of the mentioned projects could be worked in and completed.

Barry Moose said that if the contractor also designs the road (I-485), construction could start in one year. Not sure about NC 73 but that isn't a very big project. I think they have the plans for 73 they just don't have the funding.

#949 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

For source reference: http://www.charlotte...ory/402327.html

I just hope NCDOT doesn't load up the list too large and then end up with brutal state politics when they only get 1/3 of the funds to cover the list.

I am still a bit unclear, but it still seams to me (and no one has contradicted me when I said this before) that if 485 is funded by other means, then we lose out on the money from the Loop Funds, as nothing else would eligible for that fund other than a couple of interchanges. Of course, NC may opt to update the rules for that fund to include upgrades, like in the South.

At least these stimulus funds are net new funds to transportation, whereas the previous discussion would have put general funds from our division to 485, which then would have been funded by general funds rather than loop funds.

I'm very supportive of Obama's plan to invest in infrastructure, as it not only has a considerable economic impact from construction at a time when the construction industry is hurting, but also provides a generation's worth of value for commerce.

#950 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Right now its not clear how the money would be funneled down. It could go to state DOT's who could divvy it out to the cities/counties and MPOs or it could go directly to the cities/counties. If the money does go to NCDOT, they would have a larger input on which projects are funded in Charlotte, and IMO we would probably loose out. But again, nobody knows the details yet so its all speculation.

#951 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

I'm guessing that politics will prevent it from being spent on 485, but Yadkin Bridge is something affecting most of the state, and something that will be a huge impact if it collapses a la the bridge in Minnesota, so it will almost certainly be used with whatever money NC receives.

I think my drothers would be that they do one or two projects of statewide importance, but then maybe they should distribute the rest to each division so that the economic benefits are spread out. Of course, I hope it would not be equal distribution but rather somewhat population based, but whatever.

#952 Spartan

Spartan

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

If we only get one project in the Charlotte Metro, the Yadkin River Bridge should be it. That impacts us just as much as it does Cabarrus.

#953 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

My point was that Yadkin is a statewide project. Division 10 doesn't cover that area, so we'd then get a lesser amount which could be put to a smaller project. Time will tell, I'm not really trying to predict this. But I agree that that in entire state, the Yadkin Bridge is probably the highest risk of not doing anything, and would have the most widely felt benefit.

#954 monsoon

monsoon

Gigalopolis

• Members+
  • 19,737 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

If we only get one project in the Charlotte Metro, the Yadkin River Bridge should be it. That impacts us just as much as it does Cabarrus.

I don't understand that idea. This bridge is close to 50 miles from downtown Charlotte and has little to do with the traffic needs of this city. If it is such a big deal to drive over, which it is not clear to me that it is, then anyone in this city can take I-77 directly to I-40. It's a much more pleasant drive and only adds 19 miles on a trip to Raleigh.

#955 nowensone

nowensone

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

^ It adds at least 50 miles, if you're taking the new loop then even more, if memory serves, Statesville and dt Greensboro are close to 70 miles apart.

#956 Neo

Neo

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

I don't understand that idea. This bridge is close to 50 miles from downtown Charlotte and has little to do with the traffic needs of this city. If it is such a big deal to drive over, which it is not clear to me that it is, then anyone in this city can take I-77 directly to I-40. It's a much more pleasant drive and only adds 19 miles on a trip to Raleigh.

This bridge needs to be replaced since it is designated as structurally deficient and on a major artery. Please tell me why we should disregard the bridge given the current state of it and its location on a major interstate?

Taking I-40 and then I-77 takes a much longer time than it does to take I-85 if going to Greensboro or anywhere else in eastern NC. Simple economics can explain why this is a good thing.

#957 Neo

Neo

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

^ It adds at least 50 miles, if you're taking the new loop then even more, if memory serves, Statesville and dt Greensboro are close to 70 miles apart.

According to Google maps directions from Charlotte to Greensboro:

Taking I-85:
92.0 miles (1hr 33m)

Taking I-77/I-40
111.0 miles (1hr 50m)

#958 nowensone

nowensone

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

^I'm not sure why it says this, but I drive these all fairly often, pretty sure many of you guys have as well, I-85 skirts GSO to the east if taking the loop, but even if you don't do this, Statesville is at least 50 miles from GSO, where I-77 terminates, so I don't see how it could be only a 19 mile difference.

#959 Neo

Neo

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

^I'm not sure why it says this, but I drive these all fairly often, pretty sure many of you guys have as well, I-85 skirts GSO to the east if taking the loop, but even if you don't do this, Statesville is at least 50 miles from GSO, where I-77 terminates, so I don't see how it could be only a 19 mile difference.

It is easy to see on a map. I-77/I-40 combo takes an arc very similar to I-85 form Charlotte to Greensboro, the arc for I-77/I-40 sits further west so it tacks on a few more miles.

It doesn't matter that Statesville is 50 miles from GSO (According to Google it is 71.2 miles from Statesville to Greensboro) because the arc is pretty much the same.

#960 nowensone

nowensone

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

^Forgot about that, you're right, I may try to see what actual time difference the 19 miles makes sometime soon, but I think even this short distance probably makes replacing the bridge worthwhile..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users