Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Progress on I-49 continues.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

Work to build a 6.9 mile stretch of I-49 continues with clearing, grubbing and dirt work between Mira, La and the Arkansas stateline. That should be completed by May and paving will begin in September 2007. Design and engineering work has begun at the interchange of where I-49 will intersect with I-220 in Shreveport. Right of way is being picked up between Mira and Shreveport. Total construction should cost $400 million dollars. A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring. A 1.5 mile section from Loop 245 to I-30 will also begin soon and both sections will pretty much take care of the urban section of Texarkana. Read more at: http://www.texarkana...news/news01.txt

#2 dimebag1980

dimebag1980

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

Great to hear! I had no idea design work had commenced on the north Shreveport stretch. My wife is no longer in the loop on highway work, so I've lost a lot of good connections there.

Let's get this freeway completed!

#3 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

I agree! The faster the better. This highway will be so important to the area. Not just in providing a quicker route between Texarkana and Shreveport but in providing many jobs.

#4 dimebag1980

dimebag1980

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

I agree! The faster the better. This highway will be so important to the area. Not just in providing a quicker route between Texarkana and Shreveport but in providing many jobs.

Well, the construction jobs will be temporary so I wouldn't put too stock into that. The spinoff from building the freeway, however, could result in truck stops being built in towns between Texarkana and Shreveport, ultimately resulting in quite a few permanent jobs.

#5 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

I wasn't really talking about the construction jobs but the more permanent ones. Such as stores and companies. I've heard this rumor that a large truck stop will be built near the future interchange of I-30 and I-49.

#6 dimebag1980

dimebag1980

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

I wasn't really talking about the construction jobs but the more permanent ones. Such as stores and companies. I've heard this rumor that a large truck stop will be built near the future interchange of I-30 and I-49.

Okay, I follow you now. I thought you were talking about the construction jobs! My bad... :D

Anyway, the intersection of I-30 and I-49, where is that going to be exactly?

#7 KJW

KJW

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Okay, I follow you now. I thought you were talking about the construction jobs! My bad... :D

Everyone likes to talk about how the funds aren't there for I-49 in Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana, how it will take so long to build through the Ouachitas, etc.

But I know this...I've talked with truckers in Northwest Arkansas (members of my church) and in northeast Texas in the Marshall area (customers of ours) and the consensus is that this route will be used HEAVILY if they ever get it built between KC and New Orleans, and SHV to Houston.
Keep the good words coming...(btw, any further word on I-49 work between Texarkana and Ashdown, AR)?

#8 vbfl85

vbfl85

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

I cant believe this project has come along so quickly. Now that Louisiana is building their portion to the state line is Arkansas going finish off the last few miles from Doddridge?

#9 dimebag1980

dimebag1980

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

I cant believe this project has come along so quickly. Now that Louisiana is building their portion to the state line is Arkansas going finish off the last few miles from Doddridge?

Here's what Darius said about that: "A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring."

So I'd say yes. And I'm so glad, because I'm ready to see this road built... finally.

#10 itk

itk

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

A few miles east of the existing Hwy 245/I-30 interchange. (I-49 will curve to the east, then curve back north to I-30)

#11 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

What a great route. The KC Connection; not to mention a Canadian-Gulf Expwy.

That's not an easy task weaving thru the Ouachita's/Ozark's Mts; that sure is alot of work. What's yall's opinion cutting thru so much wilderness(untouched land)???

Edited by richyb83, 13 October 2006 - 06:11 PM.

#12 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

Here's what Darius said about that: "A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring."

So I'd say yes. And I'm so glad, because I'm ready to see this road built... finally.

Actually Brian that section you speak of is to be constructed from I-30 north to Hwy 71 going towards Ashdown. The section from Doddridge to the Arkansas/Louisiana stateline is gathering funding from what I've last read. So work on that section shouldn't be too far off.

Everyone likes to talk about how the funds aren't there for I-49 in Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana, how it will take so long to build through the Ouachitas, etc.

But I know this...I've talked with truckers in Northwest Arkansas (members of my church) and in northeast Texas in the Marshall area (customers of ours) and the consensus is that this route will be used HEAVILY if they ever get it built between KC and New Orleans, and SHV to Houston.
Keep the good words coming...(btw, any further word on I-49 work between Texarkana and Ashdown, AR)?

The section going north from Loop 245 over I-30 and up to Hwy71 North is part of the section going towards Ashdown.

#13 NCB

NCB

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

The section going north from Loop 245 over I-30 and up to Hwy71 North is part of the section going towards Ashdown.

Hey Darius, thanks alot for all of the updates! Now, the stretch of I-49 between Texarkana and Ashdown is very interesting to me, so I want to make sure I have my facts right. The future I-49 north of Texarkana will follow the current path of HW 71 past I-30, and up towards Ogden and Ashdown? And if that's the case, what is the current status of this section?

#14 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hey NCB! How are you? Anyway, I-49 will branch off from 245 a little past the Arkansas Boulevard exit and go east around the Four States Fairgrounds and turn north crossing over near where Sugarhill Rd. crosses over I-30. From there it will turn northwest and intersect with Hwy 71 North. That section should begin work in spring 2007.

#15 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Future funding options for the construction of I-49 was one of the featured topics at the I-49 International Coalition conference in Rogers, Ark. To read more click here: http://www.texarkana...news/news03.txt

#16 KJW

KJW

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

Got a couple of other links on this page about this discussion in Northwest Arkansas the past two days.

#17 bigboyz05

bigboyz05

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Got a couple of other links on this page about this discussion in Northwest Arkansas the past two days.

Wow! I sure will be glad when this freeway is finished. I'll probably be almost 50 by then. I'm 28 now.

#18 Enique

Enique

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'll be glad as well. I'm not a big fan of Hwy 71, I refuse to drive that leg of my trip. The stretch between Shreveport and Texarkana makes me nervous.

#19 dimebag1980

dimebag1980

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:52 PM

I'll be glad as well. I'm not a big fan of Hwy 71, I refuse to drive that leg of my trip. The stretch between Shreveport and Texarkana makes me nervous.

As an alternative, you can take Hwy. 59 from Texarkana, through Atlanta, and eventually you link up to La. Hwy. 1 which is a much nicer road and goes through bigger towns... so you actually see some life along part of the trip. This eventually comes out in north Shreveport and meets Hwy 71 at the fork. It takes probably 20 minutes longer on a bad day, but it's SO much easier to drive. The only part of it I hate is the stretch through Atlanta where there are always deer along the sides of the road.

Edited by SBCmetroguy, 07 November 2006 - 02:09 PM.

#20 Enique

Enique

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

As an alternative, you can take Hwy. 59 from Texarkana, through Atlanta, and eventually you link up to La. Hwy. 1 which is a much nicer road and goes through bigger towns... so you actually see some life along part of the trip. This eventually comes out in north Shreveport and meets Hwy 71 at the fork. It take sprobably 20 minutes longer on a bad day, but it's SO much easier to drive. The only part of it I hate is the stretch through Atlanta where there are always deer along the sides of the road.

I didn't know that. That sounds so much better.

Edited by Enique, 07 November 2006 - 01:12 PM.