Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

River Place Condominiums

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#261 dinner roll

dinner roll

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

The Third St. Hospitality Center is gone. All signs removed, all furniture moved out. The space is now vacant.

#262 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Just moving to office to Mid-City to save $5000 rent...but the Third Street office was cool!

RiverPlace moves downtown office
The downtown sales and marketing office for the RiverPlace development has closed and moved to Mid City. Richard Preis, who is developing the high-rise condominium tower on the Mississippi River, says he's still working on the project. "We're trying to save expenses," Preis says. "We're not going away." By shutting down the sales and marketing office at the corner of Third and Laurel streets, Preis says he's saving $5,000 a month in rent. The same number of sales and marketing employees are working out of the Kenwood Avenue office. Preis says RiverPlace has been hurt by Hurricane Katrina, which drove up construction costs, and the credit freeze, which has made it difficult to get financing for the $150 million project.

http://www.businessr...09/oct/06/1226/

#263 Antrell Williams

Antrell Williams

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

The sign is still on Lafayette St. Is there any home for Riverplace anymore?

#264 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

That's the $million dollar question! Yeah that sign seems like it's been there forever; figured they could have at least updated the pic with the new design?? The proposed Hampton Inn(property also owned by Preis) across the street kinda threw me for a curveball...esp. hearing how RiverPlace was supposed to become a "Condotel" instead...

Some people always believed this project was a pipe-dream...I have always tried to remain optimistic about RiverPlace despite the pessimism...

#265 Antrell Williams

Antrell Williams

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

I thought that was the latest design. Oh well then.. 10 more years for another failed tower in BR.

#266 drew6974

drew6974

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

I haven't been on here lately. Sorry if it's been posted already but I passed by the lot where the River Place Condos were supposed to be and there's now a for sale sign on the lot. I guess this is the official end.

#267 buckett5425

buckett5425

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

I haven't been on here lately. Sorry if it's been posted already but I passed by the lot where the River Place Condos were supposed to be and there's now a for sale sign on the lot. I guess this is the official end.

I saw the sign too, but forgot to post the news on here. :/

#268 steve3n8

steve3n8

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

That's weird??? They said they were planning to build it when the financial market loosens up....I hope its not the end though, we need some skyscrapers and height to our skyline! :unsure:

#269 dan326

dan326

Town

• Members+
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

Waaah! :'( I tell ya we don't get any towers unless it's government built.

#270 itsjustme3

itsjustme3

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Waaah! :'( I tell ya we don't get any towers unless it's government built.

There has to be a reason for people to want live down there.

There isn't.

#271 buckett5425

buckett5425

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

There has to be a reason for people to want live down there.

There isn't.

Says who? You?
  • steve3n8 likes this

#272 Antrell Williams

Antrell Williams

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

It's always just him.
  • buckett5425 and steve3n8 like this

#273 buckett5425

buckett5425

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Personally, I want to live downtown, but there aren't any affordable options for college students. I have to live in spanish town because its the closest area baton rouge has, that is urban, walkable and its still very suburban. If there were plenty of affordable options downtown, and an efficient form of mass transit to LSU, I know for a fact all of my friends would live downtown. There is a huge demand, but until the city provides for efficient mass transit, downtown will never live up to its potential. Thats a fact.

#274 itsjustme3

itsjustme3

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

Says who? You?

Well, for starters the lack of people living there and the lack of developers building homes there. Good grief. You act as if I just insulted your family member.

#275 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

II City Plaza is not governmental...but I know what you mean Dan...they do make-up 1/2 the BR Skyline.

There was a demand for BR's 1st Vertical neighborhood(a foriegn term in these parts)along the riverfront before this real estate bubble/Katrina. Some city-council members wanted to know why they wanted to "build so tall" in this overgrown country town??...but the developer got too fancy after the opting from the original tower; instead going for the home-run w/ two towers(27 & 17 stories)...then scrapped the idea in favor of a landmark residential 36-story tower...even Skip Bertman & Shaq were rumored to be interested...that all fell thru with the latest "Condo-tel"...

But when Pries recently announced the Hampton Inn would be built across the street the longshot tower became even more doubtful <_<

There was enough demand for the proposed 6-stroy 131-unit Capitol Lofts...but it was shot down by Spanish Town Civic ASSociation...a major blow to bringing critical mass to the downtown core that would bring the essential services with it...still irks me!

Had the developer just decided on this(shown below) original design....it might have worked...while I agree some more 8-12 story mid-rises could bulk-up the malnutritioned skyline more... a new 2nd Tallest Tower would be really be ideal! Guess there is nothing wrong with your new 2nd tallest being condo's; Austin's Tallest is a condo...

I would have settled for this original plan had I known the proposed 30+ story tower would have been scrapped...
Posted Image

Edited by richyb83, 06 July 2011 - 10:43 PM.

• buckett5425 likes this

#276 Antrell Williams

Antrell Williams

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

HUGE let down.

#277 dan326

dan326

Town

• Members+
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I guess Preis reads our forum.

"Preis says 'all options are open' for RiverPlace site. After 10 years of trying to develop a piece of property at River Road and Laurel Street into a high-rise condominium tower and then an upscale hotel, Richard Preis is looking at selling the site. Preis says "all options are open," including building a 4 1/2-star hotel, building apartments, selling the land or just doing nothing with the RiverPlace property. "Lord knows I worked long enough on RiverPlace, but between Hurricane Katrina and the credit markets, the timing is just not right," he says. Preis says his wish is to build a hotel on the site, and he's had three visits with a major hotel group, including one Tuesday. This group represents a hotel flag that doesn't have a property in Baton Rouge, he says. Another option is building a 167-unit apartment complex, which Preis says would have monthly rents of $1,500 to $1,700. The plan would be to renovate and convert the units to condominiums once the credit markets improve. Preis is working with Windsor/Aughtry Co. of Greenville, S.C., to develop a 137-room Hampton Inn & Suites at Lafayette and Main streets, across from the RiverPlace site. Preis says he did that deal to enhance the value of his other property. "This whole area needs to be developed," he says, noting that the RiverPlace and the former location of the prime vacant riverfront sites. Preis says he hopes to narrow down his options for the land to one choice by Labor Day."

Businessreport.com

Edited by dan326, 07 July 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#278 buckett5425

buckett5425

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the well informed post Richy, I agree with you 100%!

River Place appeared to only be catering to the luxury market, which in this town implies the condos would have only held occupants during football season, leaving downtown desolate for the rest of the year. This has been the fate of the Field House Condominiums.

I would like to see some nice mid-rise residential buildings downtown, 6-10 stories that cater to the average citizen or young professional. New Orleans has jumped on this bandwagon and the Architecture-Developer firm of Wisznia is leading this new trend. Wisznia is developing housing that caters to all income brackets and allows young professionals, like me, to not only live downtown at an affordable price, but in a very nice unit as well. Here is a link to their website, from there you can check out some of their developments in downtown New Orleans.

http://www.wisznia.com/

Edited by buckett5425, 07 July 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#279 Antrell Williams

Antrell Williams

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

While the tower was going to impact our skyline, streetscapes in downtown need to be livened up, as everyone doesn't look at the skyline all day. Many mid-rise mixed use developments would do wonders to make streets downtown, the likeliness of more small businesses to open up, and a REAL nightlife downtown.
The market needs to cater to nearby LSU students and the graduates of SU and LSU. It makes more sense to work on multiple residential projects (that actually are fulfilled and reach no vacancy) that have one behemoth that's in the toilet. Lafayette street would be an ideal urban setting for young students and professionals.
  • buckett5425 likes this

#280 richyb83

richyb83

Metropolitan Area

• Members+
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:03 AM

Your welcome Buckett :thumbsup: And thanks for that link; nice to see all those NOLA properties being redeveloped..might the Commerce Bldg on Third @ Laurel be a candidate for this?? Nice street level potential too! Something from the ground-up?? It would be nice to see the Capitol Lofts re-emerge down the Sixth Street corridor or North Blvd? The Elysian and something else special may be in the works too! Thank you for contributing to the rebirth of downtown; it's a process; you gotta learn to crawl before you walk...downtown was dead for 10-15 years; it's come a long way; but has a long way to go; it would be great to see those options for avg Joe (like me too)open up for yall! Sorry to hear this about the Fieldhouse Condo's...Les Miles has a place there..look at his salary :rolleyes:

Yeah Dan it's ironic that article came up the next day! UP can be powerful site as we have seen before with LSU; another irony was last week during slow posting period; was gonna bring back this River Place thread with that original rendering shown above post just to spark something up!

Agreed Antrel...a tower is no good if it's not contributing to the streetscape...River Place was supposed to be really nice on the Lafayette Street side; with grooved traffic calming pavement + coffee shop & small bookstore..this would have been directly across where the proposed Hampton Inn...I tend to agree with the layered skyline method with Fourth Street being the tallest; followed by Third Street & Lafayette Street...however the River Place site could be the execption..
Posted Image

Here is a future "Vision" of what Lafayette Street could look like from FuturBR....
*looking south on Lafayette Street/intersection with Main Street; corner of Hampton Inn shown left
Posted Image

I was hoping something residential like this could have been built on Third Street & Laurel parking lot across from Commerce Bldg...it might work well behind the linnear buildings along Third??
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users