Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Horizontal vs. Vertical Traffic Lights

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Dozer

Dozer

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

Quick question.. would someone mind enlightening me as to why some areas of the country hang their traffic lights horizontal and some vertical?

Vertical:
Posted Image

Horizontal:
Posted Image

Funny:
Posted Image

Is it purly aesthetics? Or is there a purpose for this? :unsure:

Edited by Dozer, 14 October 2006 - 12:02 PM.

#2 dtown

dtown

Town

• Members+
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

im not sure, but i like vertical better.

#3 Cadeho

Cadeho

City

• Members+
  • 4,001 posts
  • Location:Richmond, Virginia/East End/Church Hill Area/Woodville

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

I think all of ours in Richmond are vertical. I don't have a favorite and I have no idea why places do one or the other.

#4 bmorescottamanda

bmorescottamanda

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:54 PM

I never seen a Horizontal light before.

#5 itk

itk

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

Horizontal is Texas style. I think they just wanted to be different. Maybe there's a better reason.

Otherwise, it sometimes is used to give more vertical clearance.

#6 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

The vertical lights that are attached to the mast instead of the overhanging arm always confuse me, although doing some driving in DC has gotten me a little more used to them.

#7 Jerseyman4

Jerseyman4

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:37 AM

Pennsylvania Traffic Signals

This is not a standard PennDOT signal but i cringe everytime i pass through here. Cant this be improved???? This is along US 13 northbound in Bristol.

Posted Image

New Jersey Traffic Signals

New Jersey likes to be different by mounting traffic signals in the most random places ever! You will find horizontal traffic signals in the cities. Some cities, get to install their own traffic signals like this one in Camden along County Route 543.

Posted Image

Typical NJ standard traffic signal but usually, a green horizonal overhead is posted here since this is a state highway. I cannot name this road until "somebody" guesses this south jersey location over at Name this Jersey location.

Posted Image

District Of Columbia Traffic Signals

All of them are this standard as far as i know. This is US 1 Southbound getting close to 14th street

Posted Image

Virginia Traffic Signals

Some states like Virginia allow cities (independant cities really) to install their own traffic signals as well.

Bedford along VA 43

Posted Image

South Boston along US 501 Southbound

North Carolina Traffic Signals

Posted Image

NCDOT new trend of traffic signals, this one is on US 15/501 northbound leaving Carthage

Posted Image

Flint Hill Church Road(?) i believe, heading into Trinity, Randolph County. It is unusual to see mast arm signals in NC outside of the city limits.

Posted Image

The cities have their own DOT's therefore, you will see traffic signals slightly different than the ones statewide. This is along South Boulveard going north in Charlotte

Posted Image

South Carolina Traffic Signals

SCDOT is beginning to use mast arm signals inside the city limits, especially in areas where they want to beautify the area. THis is on US 301 Northbound in Manning.

Posted Image

#8 citiboi27610

citiboi27610

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Alot of places in florida use horizontal lights. I assume this is because of hurricanes and I imagine its more stable. This could be one reason for using vertical versus horizontal.

#9 lammius

lammius

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

Keepin it horizontal in Montclair, New Jersey!

Posted Image

#10 FromCityToRural

FromCityToRural

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

Just preference I would guess. I always was used to vertical out in Cali, so when we moved here to TX the horizontal was weird. I can't say I have a preference one way or the other though.

#11 NcSc74

NcSc74

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Could it be a height limit on poles or mast. So the very bottom of a horizontal signal is just about the same height from the street surface as a verticle signal. Just that the horizontal is mounted on a shorter pole. Only a hypothesis.

#12 tamias6

tamias6

Town

• Members+
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

Michigan has vertically mounted traffic signals. Here in Grand Rapids, the traffic lights are ethier suspended on cables that cross the innersection diagonally or in area's like our DT they are mounted to decrative masts. New er and upgraded roads way out in 'exurbs feature traffic signals mounted to gray and very utiliarian masts.

#13 Jerseyman4

Jerseyman4

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

^I like their 4 way box at the wired span traffic signals indicating the turns that are allowed/not allowed.

#14 dtown

dtown

Town

• Members+
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

^they dont do that everywhere?

#15 Jerseyman4

Jerseyman4

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

Nope. Michigan is unique with most of their traffic signals providing the 4 way boxes (or this) as well as their Michigan Left Turns that have SLOWLY infiltrated the Tar Heel State.

#16 AlabamaGuy2007

AlabamaGuy2007

Hamlet

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

VERTICAL!! I nearly die everytime I drive through downtown Birmingham. It's always different at each intersection.

#17 cheeriokid61

cheeriokid61

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

I'm still tryin' to figure out that third picture. Why are some of the lights orange?

#18 runawayjim

runawayjim

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

my guess for the horizontal lights is that they're for places where part of the light fixture would be blocked from view. i've seen these in CT at one end of an underpass so that it's visible to cars that are on the other side, but still allowing for a certain amount of clearance below the light.

#19 Snowguy716

Snowguy716

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

My guess is that horizontal lights would survive better in periods of high winds, like a hurricane. (less exposed surface to the wind)

Vertical ones just look nicer, in my opinion. I don't think I've ever seen a horizontal stop light in Minnesota, although they are common in Omaha, NE.

#20 runawayjim

runawayjim

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

My guess is that horizontal lights would survive better in periods of high winds, like a hurricane. (less exposed surface to the wind)

it's the same surface area. the ones that are common around here are literally just the regular vertical once rotated 90 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users