Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

interstate 22?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 mitchella81

mitchella81

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:27 AM

Previously I did not see the neccisity of I-22, but i guess it does make sense for an economic boost to the poorer areas of southwestern Georgia. IF not I-22 then the I-185 extension to I-10 will be great also to bring economic development to the more rural areas of that portion of the state.

#22 aboutmetro

aboutmetro

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

Previously I did not see the neccisity of I-22, but i guess it does make sense for an economic boost to the poorer areas of southwestern Georgia. IF not I-22 then the I-185 extension to I-10 will be great also to bring economic development to the more rural areas of that portion of the state.

Yea. Access to Interstates seems to be a major priority for site selections firms. Even the State of Georgia's site selection search engine lists distance to Interstates as the top question for Intermodal transportation.
Posted Image

Indeed, Macon's economic development coups are all Interstate-Access based. i.e. Bass Pro Shops, Kohls distribution plants and over 1,000 manufacturers announced last year. Obviously, Kia in West Point north of Columbus is right on an Interstate as is its sister company Hyundai in Montgomery.

Posted Image

#23 Hybrid0NE

Hybrid0NE

Hamlet

• Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

If given a choice between traffic to and from Memphis-B'Ham and the Ga coast via

being funnelled thru Atlanta on I-20

Come on... no thru-traffic gets funnelled into ATL, it goes around it on 285 (the ring of hell). ;)

#24 willacoochee

willacoochee

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

I like the idea of I-22 from Columbus to Brunswick. That would put the interstate going through my town, and overall would help South Georgia. South Georgia needs at east-west interstate, because we do not have one!!!

#25 aboutmetro

aboutmetro

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

I like the idea of I-22 from Columbus to Brunswick. That would put the interstate going through my town, and overall would help South Georgia. South Georgia needs at east-west interstate, because we do not have one!!!

The Georgia DOT is holding regional meetings in Southwest Georgia to determine necessity, feasibility and desire for 'access' to Interstates. This area along with Southeast Alabama was like the land that the Interstates forgot. I would think that, since the very definition of an Interstate involves more than one state, Alabama and Florida would be brought into the discussion... Anyway, here's a link to the dedicated website. There will be a stakeholders meeting (presentation link) in Columbus, GA on April 15th. Other area meetings have already occured. Southwest Georgia Interstate Study website.

The study area map:

Posted Image