Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

• Please log in to reply
1050 replies to this topic

#921 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Wasn't the McDonald's in the basement? I seem to remember going down steps to get to it.

As for the mall, they used to have wayfinding signs at least, but people would crash into them -- destroying them -- and they were never replaced.

#922 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

How long has that olive oil store been on Monroe Center?

#923 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Old World olive oil has been there for atleast 2 montths now. Looks really nice on the inside.
http://www.mlive.com...rapids_sto.html

So what stores are all in modiv now?

#924 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Old World olive oil has been there for atleast 2 montths now. Looks really nice on the inside.
http://www.mlive.com...rapids_sto.html

So what stores are all in modiv now?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/01/retail_incubator_modiv_in_down.html

#925 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

Wish I were still up there to try some of this olive oil.

#926 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

I think MoDiv is a great idea and a good start to revitalizing retail downtown, but what's up with the lack of signage? Unless you know it is there, you'd never realize how many different stores are in the building. Get some good signage, please? :)

Joe

#927 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think MoDiv is a great idea and a good start to revitalizing retail downtown, but what's up with the lack of signage? Unless you know it is there, you'd never realize how many different stores are in the building. Get some good signage, please? :)

Good point, let's not "KIAS." (explained in detail at the URL)

Follow-up:

Shandra Martinez | The Grand Rapids Press January 18, 2012 at 1:15PM

I think others would agree. While I was doing my reporting, someone mentioned the need for more signs. I put in a call to Rockford Construction to ask about that. If I get an answer, I'll post it. Thanks for reading the story, and your observation.

Edited by Veloise, 18 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#928 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Some singage and some marketing would go a long way. Hopefully it extends into morton house and down.

#929 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

There's a new vintage men's clothing store in there too now. Can't recall the name...

#930 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Good to see new places there. Are there any opeings left for more stores to open there?

#931 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just walked by. I can't recall the name either. Oh wait, they didn't have a sign. LOL.

There's a new vintage men's clothing store in there too now. Can't recall the name...

#932 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

For lack of a better thread in which to share this...amusing contrast.

http://www.uppermich...58#.TyFOLoFxlM0

It's about the lack of parking in downtown Iron Mountain.

Edited by Veloise, 26 January 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#933 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

The article doesnt say it has a lack of parking, just people to stupid to know where to park :P
And if Wolverine buys payless, then we might be getting a payless shoe store downtown :P

Edited by SupercityGR, 26 January 2012 - 12:53 PM.

• Veloise and tSlater like this

#934 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Some cheerleading for public spaces in downtowns. (Yep, the lead image is great. I'm sure those dancers all rode their bikes to the party.)

http://shareable.net...s-and-big-boxes

#935 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,308 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

For those who thought a sign out in front of MoDiv would be nice, you got two:

Posted Image

#936 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Love it, downtown shopping is back !!!

#937 Cedsed

Cedsed

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I haven't read all the way through this thread, but I have a question. Can anyone reccomend any places for basic grocery shopping near Cherry Hills? I am mostly looking for someplace cheap and close. I usually shop at Clark's on State, which sucks, or Wealthy Market, which is a little far.

#938 Veloise

Veloise

City

• Members+
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

I haven't read all the way through this thread, but I have a question. Can anyone reccomend any places for basic grocery shopping near Cherry Hills? I am mostly looking for someplace cheap and close. I usually shop at Clark's on State, which sucks, or Wealthy Market, which is a little far.

Not many options, yet. Come back when there's a new grocery at Division & Wealthy. Your best variety/price option would be the D&W on Fulton near Carlton.
Distance - price - quality - variety...pick any two.

#939 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,308 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

A guy I've gotten to know recently (who might be on here now) told me about a new open air retail project that just opened in downtown Salt Lake City along their light rail line (he moved here from there recently). Has all the big names in retail, Macy's, Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Cheesecake Factory, etc.. $2 Billion project, financed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (owns most of downtown SLC) and Taubman (the mall developer). Was in the works since 2007, combining two old basically vacant downtown retail spots, and spans 23 acres wedged in between a number of existing buildings. Interesting concept. Anyone got $2 Billion? (Amway ahem!) I dropped a similar concept on the lot next to 5/3 Bank tower and then the Lyon/Ottawa lot, tying those two spaces together and then having front door access to the convention center. Then you'd have a continuous retail element from the convention center, through the mall, and out to Ottawa Ave close to Monroe Center.

Let me know what you think...

Posted Image

City Creek Center (has retractable roofs, SLC gets lake effect snow):

Posted Image

http://www.downtownr...cope-a-timeline

http://www.flickr.co...ron/6866907752/

More pics

https://www.google.c...5EKrD2QWE-Kn3CA

http://www.flickr.co...ty creek center

A blogger breaks it down.

http://www.hercampus...-life-salt-lake

#940 x99

x99

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

A guy I've gotten to know recently (who might be on here now) told me about a new open air retail project that just opened in downtown Salt Lake City along their light rail line (he moved here from there recently). Has all the big names in retail, Macy's, Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Cheesecake Factory, etc.. $2 Billion project, financed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (owns most of downtown SLC) and Taubman (the mall developer). Was in the works since 2007, combining two old basically vacant downtown retail spots, and spans 23 acres wedged in between a number of existing buildings. Interesting concept. Anyone got $2 Billion? (Amway ahem!) I dropped a similar concept on the lot next to 5/3 Bank tower and then the Lyon/Ottawa lot, tying those two spaces together and then having front door access to the convention center. Then you'd have a continuous retail element from the convention center, through the mall, and out to Ottawa Ave close to Monroe Center.

Let me know what you think...

I think you've arrived at my ultimate fantasy, but with all of the suburban malls built around here, it could be a very tough sell. $2 billion is an enormous amount of money to be speculating with, even for Amway. It certainly would allow for utilization of a lot of underutilized space, though. Parking, generally, shouldn't really be much of an issue for after 5PM and weekends if a developer could get a reasonable long-term agreement with the city and/or Ellis, and hook into the Pearl/Ionia and Ellis ramps. You could shoot a rifle through most of the ramps on this end of town on any given weekend and not hit anything. Parking during the week would need to be addressed, and probably not inexpensively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users