Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

• Please log in to reply
1050 replies to this topic

#1021 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I guess my point is that there wasn't anything new in that article. There seems to be a lot of rehashing of old news going on in GR, sprinkled with teasers of info that has already been released (just reworded), in an effort to get web traffic maybe?

If you're doing a week-long retrospective on the Monroe Center, it only makes sense to conclude the series with a recap of future planned projects.  Then throw in an air of "Who knows what else will happen?" to go out with a cliffhanger.  It's an appropriate ending; nothing to read into.

By the way, the insightful MLive commenters at the bottom complaining about the road diet really cracked me up.

Edited by RegalTDP, 01 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#1022 jas49503

jas49503

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

If you're doing a week-long retrospective on the Monroe Center, it only makes sense to conclude the series with a recap of future planned projects.  Then throw in an air of "Who knows what else will happen?" to go out with a cliffhanger.  It's an appropriate ending; nothing to read into.

By the way, the insightful MLive commenters at the bottom complaining about the road diet really cracked me up.

MLive commenters are generally speaking the most idiotic people I've ever interacted with.  I often wonder who these people are, if they are even able to function in society. near as I can tell they are a bunch of weed smoking, union member, republican extremists.

#1023 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

MLive commenters are generally speaking the most idiotic people I've ever interacted with.  I often wonder who these people are, if they are even able to function in society. near as I can tell they are a bunch of weed smoking, union member, republican extremists.

I agree they're pretty awful, but they don't hold a candle to the woodtv.com commenters. 

Edited by wingbert, 03 January 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#1024 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I agree they're pretty awful, but they don't hold a candle to the woodtv.com commenters. 

Hear hear. The TV station commenters are....wow...unbelievable. I truly don't believe they are real people.

#1025 SupercityGR

SupercityGR

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

99 Monroe

Looks like a new law firm is going to move into the building as well...

Franklin is planning to announce new tenant deals with a pair of local law firms in the coming weeks, said Shoemaker

Edited by SupercityGR, 15 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#1026 CarpenterJoseph

CarpenterJoseph

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

With respect to the Gibbs study, I've heard it was huge disappointment. Thoughts? 

#1027 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

With respect to the Gibbs study, I've heard it was huge disappointment. Thoughts? 

I've heard a mix. Some of the retail business owners who were interviewed by Gibbs and spoke with him found him to be full of great ideas and vision. As to the actual report, everyone seems pretty dismissive of it, so I assume it wasn't quite what they were looking for (or it didn't contain concrete actionable items?)

#1028 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

My guess is that it didn't contain the concrete actionable items that they were looking for that would be easy to implement because it is what folks already wanted to see and do.

#1029 CarpenterJoseph

CarpenterJoseph

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

So then, what should we make of this arena district visioning plan? 

#1030 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

So then, what should we make of this arena district visioning plan? 

It hasn't been developed yet. :)  Not all studies are inherently bad. I think one thing that hindered the Gibbs report is that it came out just as Fowler was leaving and Larson was coming in. So you have all of the discussions that led to the study, and then the deliverables went to the new guy who wasn't part of the discussions.

#1031 CarpenterJoseph

CarpenterJoseph

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Good point. I understand the visioning plan is not yet developed, but I'm curious as to how it will be different in its aim. I vaguely recall the new DDA director's explanation, something to the effect of defining barriers to best use etc, etc, and what not. 

#1032 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Maybe it's just time to wave the white flag on retail DT. We have to face facts that none of the big names will ever locate right in the middle on Monroe Ave. or nearby. Those buildings were built for old-fashioned shops that were for a different era. Apple, Ikea, GAP, Best Buy or any other known chain wont put themselves in such a cramped place of little renown. They specialize in urban stores that stick out visually, and are sometimes tourist destinations of their own. The Apple store will not be next to Grand Central Market no matter how much we hope.These days the biggest shops have specific needs and are not going to be shoehorned into these tiny storefronts with little prospects for constant foot traffic.

If retail as we imagine it is ever going to occur it will ONLY exist in three locations:

12041518.jpg

1. N. Monroe
  2. The area SW of Founder's
  3. South of Wealthy along S. Division 

2 is doable with a massive (mystery project) level development on both sides of the river.

3 is possible only with a huge shift in population and income in the surrounding area.

1 is the most likely because it is geographically contained, has great proximity to the part of the Grand River that doesn't look like a walled ditch, contains an existing population that skews to the higher end income wise, and has room to spill over to the other side of the river where there is even more land to develop.

All three have excellent highway access. If you can get something going in each location, they will ring DT nicely and will make it lucrative for smaller stores to fill in places like Monroe Center. You can also get a decent shuttle system up and running between them, negating some of the need to drive between each site. All of them can have massive parking ramps (with "free parking") so that no suburbanite will feel slighted in paying or in having to walk....far.

Edited by GR_Urbanist, 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#1033 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I often hear people pine for Ikea, but the metro area needs to grow at least another million before we should expect them to even consider coming here.  They're not in that many cities.  Furthermore, they NEVER build downtown.  Never ever.

Best Buy is going through a shrinking phase right now, and the past couple years they've contracted their brick & mortar operations.  I'd be surprised if they started building new big box stores anywhere, let alone downtown.

You can squeeze a retail center just about anywhere.  But I think staying close to the Convention Center & hotels is best.  There's still room to grow, maybe not on Monroe Center directly, but still in that old "Grab Corners" area.

Edited by RegalTDP, 26 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#1034 wmrharris

wmrharris

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Never an IDEA downtown? New Have CT has one right at the edge of downtown, part of the urban development of the old industrial waterfront. Locationally, it's roughly like putting it up at Leonard and Monroe. The real sadness is that it lies right next door, impinges on etc a fabulous building by Michael Breuer -- the Pirelli building. Quite the controversy when IKEA came in 10 years ago.

#1035 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I've been by the New Haven Ikea, and I hadn't thought of that as even close to downtown.  Sure, maybe within sight of the buildings; however, Long Wharf struck me as this wide open post-industrial landmass that takes up a giant swath of the city, dwarfing the other neighborhoods, without really being one itself.  And the Ikea isn't on the edge of any neighborhood; it's by the turnpike, across from the water.  What's especially telling is even with all that space, Ikea STILL had trouble wedging its ridiculous parking lot in, and hence they had to cut into the Pirelli building.  Hopefully we can agree that such a monstrosity doesn't weave the kind of "urban fabric" we're looking for in GR's downtown.

If I was to compare Long Wharf to somewhere in GR, I would say Butterworth Landfill (if it were usable land).  I admit revitalized waterfront districts are common locations for big box stores, but GR obviously doesn't have one. 

It's funny we're talking about this, I actually went to an Ikea today :shades:

Edited by RegalTDP, 27 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#1036 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Never an IDEA downtown? New Have CT has one right at the edge of downtown, part of the urban development of the old industrial waterfront. Locationally, it's roughly like putting it up at Leonard and Monroe. The real sadness is that it lies right next door, impinges on etc a fabulous building by Michael Breuer -- the Pirelli building. Quite the controversy when IKEA came in 10 years ago.

Doesn't look like a downtown location to me:

http://www.bing.com/...g.1&form=LMLTCC

#1037 tSlater

tSlater

Town

• Members+
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

That area looks more like a Market & 131 to me.

#1038 RegalTDP

RegalTDP

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

95 Monroe (former Van Hoecks) will become comic book store "Vault of Midnight."  Haven't been to the Ann Arbor store, I think this will fit in well downtown.  Nice to see a Michigan business expanding.

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

#1039 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

That's an excellent addition to downtown! Not a comic book fan, but it seems like a perfect fit and a good destination retailer.

Joe

• John E likes this

#1040 GVSUChris

GVSUChris

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm curious about the bakery. To what is that referencing? Great to see more life on Monroe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users