-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Name that Speed Trap!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

Ann Arbor cops are obvious. Many of us know where they hide around the city so I figured we should make a thread about them!

The Most Obvious Speed Traps

Washtenaw Ave near stadium. I think they are usually pulling people over heading toward downtown Ann Arbor. The speed limit drops from 45 to 35 just after Washtenaw makes its turn. The cop sits in a driveway for an office park. The cop car is usually pretty easy to see if you are a good driver and looking left and right, although I suppose many people don't see them otherwise they wouldn't patrol that spot. I guess traffic coming the other direction are targeted as well if you start speeding up too early toward the intersection, but it would kind of be stupid and dangerous to do that since the turn is kind of sharp

Fuller and Fuller/Glen. Only present when the light flashes red and the intersection becomes a three way stop. The cop car sits up on the sidewalk, in the dark, waiting. Really you'd be shocked on this one, but EVERYONE seems to run that light. I have not the slightest idea why. I've never done it, but all my friends do, and I see a ton of Ann Arborites do it all the time. Stop running the red flashing light everyone!!

Fuller at the community pool. The speed limit is 35, but stay beneath 40. If you are going 45 like most people, you will probably get pulled over. Sometimes they mix it up a bit and sit in the median, but that's rare.

Huron Parkway Ravine. They sit on the sidewalk along the concrete tieback walls. There's a consensus that they give a 10 mph grace range. I can't remember the speed limit though. It might be 35, just go with the flow.

Less Obvious
Fuller near Mitchell Field. They do it Cali style and sit in the bus loading zone.

Driveway right off M-14 downtown exit. Ready to catch people speeding off the ramp onto main street. I have no clue why people would even want to speed there since that is the ramp of death.

M-14 curve right before the Barton exit. Speed limit drops to 55 for a very good reason. Don't be an ass and blaze through at 70. The ramp situation there is difficult enough.

Where I've heard.
Apparently, cops like to patrol Geddes Road, but I've never seen one. The same for Huron Parkway, near Pfizer, but I'v never seen any there either.

#2 nofunk

nofunk

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

Huron Parkway Ravine. They sit on the sidewalk along the concrete tieback walls. There's a consensus that they give a 10 mph grace range. I can't remember the speed limit though. It might be 35, just go with the flow.

Speed limit's 35 until you pass Fuller.

Others...

Geddes between downtown and Huron Pkwy: cop will park on Awixa with their lights off and wait. I know from experience on this one.

Packard between Golfside and Carpenter: they sit in the parking lot of that new temple on the north side of the road.

Packard between Carpenter and Platt: speed limit goes from 45 east of Carpenter to 35. They'll park on the streets in that co/op development on the north side of the road. I haven't seen them in a while, but this location used to be as regular as the Wash./Stadium split.

#3 nofunk

nofunk

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

Apparently Ann Arbor ranks #6 in the nation for the number of speed traps. (It was just mentioned on WXYZ news tonight.)

Detroit suburbs are ranked #1.

Here's a link to the results: http://www.speedtrap...raprelease.html

#4 Dyenimator

Dyenimator

Crossroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

Main St. between Scio Church and Stadium. I don't know why but I'm always tempted to push it to 45 there when the speed limit is 35.

#5 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

Good call on that one, I see people pulled over there all the time.

#6 wolverine

wolverine

Town

• Members+
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

I've seen a lot of speeders pulled over near that church on Washtenaw and South U.

You know an area I'd like to see more patrolling to slow traffic down is Division where it crosses over the Broadway Bridge. For those of us who live right by there and need to slow down to make turns, it makes me nervous when people nearly ram into me. My housemates and friends feel the same way.

Speed limit is 25, not 35 or 40

#7 mgman

mgman

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

I've seen a lot of speeders pulled over near that church on Washtenaw and South U.

You know an area I'd like to see more patrolling to slow traffic down is Division where it crosses over the Broadway Bridge. For those of us who live right by there and need to slow down to make turns, it makes me nervous when people nearly ram into me. My housemates and friends feel the same way.

Speed limit is 25, not 35 or 40

People fly through there. Especially on the south side of the bridge which is bad becuase that is where all the turns are and the crosswalks are. Turning and crossing is difficult and from my experience, people get upset when you slow down to turn too. Somebody honke at me when I was turning onto fifth. That has to be the busiest turn coming south. I used my turn signal too so that was not it.