Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Mobile Annexation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#21 nimsjus

nimsjus

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

the down the bay area has been in the Mobile limits, I think since the 1940s or 50s. so we dont have to annex them. but we do need to go further south into hollinger's island and south of dog river. I think west Mobile will annex, it lost by a slim vote and recent polls have shown that it is more likely to happen.....especially if the city gives them some incentives. But I would have to say no to annexing prichard. Maybe if they improved but not right now. I think that prichard, would not want to annex, they have a positive future. I do think that Mobile needs to annex North just west of prichard. that could be a good investment.

Most of the people on the al.com forum wouldn't be able to vote in an annexation proposal. Most of them live in Saraland (already incorporated), Semmes (Mayor Sam Jones says Mobile has no need or want to annex them), or just to far west like Snow road or Wilmer area (outside of the proposed area), and even texas. They are just a bunch of retired old people that like to talk about how things used to be. a lot of their posts start with "remember when". Those people will eventually die out anyways. Besides that there are only about 6 of them that post on it anyways. I don't think they represent the majority. Every community has them!!

Totally agree about the Al.com crowd. I hate to give up in there though because alot of people go there if they are thinking about moving to Mobile, or want info, and they get these horrible, uneducated opinions. The hollingers island/dog river area was what I was trying to describe. Hopefully an annexation and some good development there would help encourage good development back up into the down the bay/brookley/upper fowl river areas. I just hate to see so much prime waterfront real estate be wasted. The Prichard thing is more to spur discussion. Im not sure I would be for that annexation either, but I can see some positives from doing so in the long run. As close as the votes come out on the West Mobile thing, I just don't see the people who live out there seeing any incentive to vote yes. Even just the airport annexation ran into problems and noone even lives there(although the city would then have planning control over a small area outside the airport). I like the idea of being a part of Mobile and I like the idea enough that I would pay a little extra for it (even though I might could have more in a nicer area out in the county somewhere), but the people who live out there do not seem to share this feeling with me. I still think it is an uphill battle. The people who don't want annexation always end up being a heck of alot louder than those who are for it, and it seems to sway the people who are undecided to vote no. I guess we will see next vote...

#22 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

nimsjus, you hit it on the dot. The people that are against it are a lot louder than the ones for it. its crazy how that works. But I think if Mobile offers say...property tax incentives or provide special zoning (allowing certain area to continue certain things that are allowed in the county....like burning and so on) it would help counter the noise made by the no people. It is better to get a little of something than have nothing at all!!

oh, yeah that area (southern part of the city of Mobile, dog river, hollingers island) is great for waterfront development. Rumor has it that investors are all ready buying land hoping for something to happen!

I think that it would help prichard but it would force Mobile to divert a lot of funding. I think Prichard will be fine on its own. They are one of the best suburbs that love to partner with Mobile, more than what I can say of Saraland.

#23 nimsjus

nimsjus

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

<H1 class=red>Annexation of airport killed</H1>Wednesday, May 23, 2007 By BRIAN LYMANCapital Bureau MONTGOMERY -- A handful of Mobile County bills moved out of the state House of Representatives on Tuesday, but local senators defeated legislation that would allow the city to annex land ceded by the Mobile Regional Airport.

Six bills for Mobile County passed the House of Representatives after a long and sometimes rancorous battle between members of the local delegation.

The bills now go to the Senate, which has been stalled in a session-long fight over rules.
http
://www.al.com/news/press-register/inde...xml&coll=3
Looks like the folks against annexation have loudly defeated annexation again in some form. I wonder how this defeat will affect the next annexation vote. I guess we know that west mobile's delegation are on the side against annexation

#24 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Looks like the folks against annexation have loudly defeated annexation again in some form. I wonder how this defeat will affect the next annexation vote. I guess we know that west mobile's delegation are on the side against annexation

That's a shame. I'll never understand why those west Mobile turds hate their own city so much.

#25 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Most of the opposition that Glover was talking about is from semmes. The people aren't even apart of west Mobile. From what I have heard many people in west Mobile do not care. but oh well. I think Mobile should slowly start to pull the fire and police protection.

#26 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

I probably shouldn't be that critical of west Mobilians. The last annexation attempt almost passed, and the attitudes aren't nearly as bad as those in outlying Birmingham suburbs. Hopefully the next attempt to annex west Mobile will go through.

This whole airport thing is dumb, though. Maybe Sen. Glover was truthful when he suggested working this out after the legislative session.

#27 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

oh i think that he is. But I think Mobile actually has a better shot at a vote coupled with incentives. After all this is another economic development project and should be treated as one. A vote actually allows the people that are being considered for annexation to have a voice. not the people in the outside area that just like to complain about something.

Edited by elb401, 24 May 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#28 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

Annexation is on the agenda (thanks for the link, bayourat) for the city council meeting on July 10th. Does anybody know how many people live in this area (includes Wynnfield Subdivision)?

#29 bayourat15

bayourat15

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

Annexation is on the agenda (thanks for the link, bayourat) for the city council meeting on July 10th. Does anybody know how many people live in this area (includes Wynnfield Subdivision)?

u got it cuz ;)

#30 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

My friends father developed Wynnfield and from what I know that subdivision is already in the city limits. they get Mobile trash service. maybe its another phase or something. that is the subdivision off solie rode, right?

Edited by elb401, 09 July 2007 - 05:25 PM.

#31 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

My friends father developed Wynnfield and from what I know that subdivision is already in the city limits. they get Mobile trash service. maybe its another phase or something. that is the subdivision off solie rode, right?

I Googled it, and apparently part of it is in the county: Wynnfield Subdivision, Unit 5. As elb said, must be a new phase or addition.

#32 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

It is the second phase. I remember something about him wanting to build further west behind the neighborhood. His house backs up to a nice size creek and I guess further back is wet lands. This annexation is done by the owners of the land. i just wish that other property owners and developers would annex on their own.

#33 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

Mobile annexed 50 acres owned by Wynnfield Development, which plans to develop 45 new lots to add to the existing Wynnfield subdivision. No one lives in the area now. This will be the first annexation by the city since 2004, when the owners of the 29-acre Integrity Media headquarters decided to come into the city.

Details in the article below.

Mobile Press-Register: City of Mobile grows by 50 acres

#34 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Mayor Sam Jones finally revealed his annexation plans. He wants four separate votes this fall in areas of west Mobile, with a total of 4,039 residents. One of the four areas includes the commercial development (with sales tax income) along Schillinger Road and Airport Boulevard.

If voters approve annexation, Jones is promising a new police precinct, a new large fire station, a new park, road paving and more.

Details in the article.

Mobile Press-Register: Mobile plans annexation push

#35 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:56 PM

The annexation election is set for September 18th. I really hope all four are successful.

More info: www.annexationelection.com, map

#36 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

I'm feeling that this annexation is going to happen if it goes to a vote. the opposition seems very disorganized and lacking a lot of support. From the West Mobilians that I know.....they just think that Mobile is going to annex them some day.....so why not just do it now! the people I know are going to vote yes (they live in area A near glider Ave).

#37 bayourat15

bayourat15

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

hope the airport is next

#38 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

Well congrats to area A of west Mobile!! lets just hope that committee doesn't spoil it for everyone. Lets just hope the other areas get to vote again. those numbers were so LOW. Why don't people just get out there and vote?!? it takes two seconds!

#39 nitek_of_mobile

nitek_of_mobile

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:00 AM

This is a good day for Mobile!

#40 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

Congrats to Mobile and the new citizens! Maybe some property owners with land bordering Area A will come into the city voluntarily.