Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

I-10 Bridge across the Mobile River

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

You know that would be the tallest river bridge in the world right?

The largest in the US is the VZ Narrows in NY at 228ft.

I had no idea. Wouldn't that be something for Mobile?

#22 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

I am surprised that no one has given a more southern route any consideration. A southern bridge would also give the chance to build a truly magnificent bridge that would serve as an icon for the city of Mobile. I think the cost is the largest factor here, but if the bridge is tolled, then a portion of the cost would be covered.

Something is going to have to be done to get ALDOT to consider something other than the current waterfront proposal. Mobile can't afford to kill the goose that laid the golden egg by damaging the maritime industry. Even a bridge with a height of 190 feet won't be high enough in the long run -- container ships are getting taller and taller. Several maritime firms will be put out of business or forced to limit their operations if that bridge is built, and this is simply unacceptable.

#23 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

At least build it 220 to 230 ft tall. I think people might be scared to ride over it but if it works. I think they should consider different options too.

#24 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Keep Mobile Moving put together a presentation about their alternative to the new I-10 bridge, which would put waterfront economic activities in jeopardy. As John Lehman, former Secretary of the Navy, said to the Mobile Press-Register, "Mobile should not sacrifice a strategic asset (the Port) to solve a current problem (traffic)."

The presentation is available in .pdf format at this link.

#25 nitek_of_mobile

nitek_of_mobile

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

According to that presentation, the eastern interchange of the proposed West Mobile Bypass and I-65 will apparently be constructed in Chickasawbouge Park. :(

#26 Alabadrock

Alabadrock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

I think locating the bridge further south is a fantastic idea. No one says the bridge has to POP out over the river. It doesn't have to instantaniously turn into the main span. Build shorter causeway segments that lead up to the main span. Sorta like the new Sunshine Skyway in Tampa.

#27 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

I'm sorry... I don't understand? could you explain this more. I don't know what that bridge looks like in tampa.

#28 Alabadrock

Alabadrock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

I'm sorry... I don't understand? could you explain this more. I don't know what that bridge looks like in tampa.

It has a regular boring, short bridge that leads up to the main span. The bridge to Dauphin Island is a great example. It's all short until you get to the center and it's rather tall. Except in this case, the tall part would be a cable stayed design.

#29 The Dude

The Dude

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

According to that presentation, the eastern interchange of the proposed West Mobile Bypass and I-65 will apparently be constructed in Chickasawbouge Park. :(

It also calls for the destruction of downtown buildings in order to resolve the current entry problems to the Wallace tunnel, thus increasing the impact of the downtown interchange. I wish we could dissolve that interchange and tunnel altogether.

Edited by The Dude, 04 October 2007 - 04:53 PM.

#30 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

State docks officials joined the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce in asking the state DOT to eliminate the southernmost of the three proposed routes for a new I-10 bridge. The southernmost route would do the most economic harm and cripple operations at Atlantic Marine and Bender Shipbuilding. According to a docks official, any new bridge must have a clearance of at least 215 feet to protect commerce at the new container terminal.

Docks oppose southern proposal for I-10 crossing

#31 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

ALDOT rejected the northern route (surprise, surprise) and narrowed the options to three possible routes to a new bridge. Maybe litigation can stop this from negatively impacting the maritime industry and downtown redevelopment.

North bridge bypass is out