-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Maritime Center at Mobile Landing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

The Maritime Center at Mobile Landing will be home to the National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico, a Mobile Bay passenger ferry terminal, and a new regional visitor's center. It's planned for the waterfront, north of the Alabama Cruise Terminal.

This project was supposed to be completed in 2008, and I think it is behind schedule. Does anyone know the status of funding and ground-breaking?

Posted Image

www.mobilelanding.com

#2 Alabadrock

Alabadrock

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

I love the rendering. And it sounds like a great project. It'll be a great asset to the city I'm sure. I wish I lived closer to the Gulf than I do now. I'd really like to go to this place when it's finished.

#3 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I read a short little clip in the chamber of commerce news letter and it said that the new completion date is 2009. I wonder if it will be pushed back even more. who knows?!

#4 bayourat15

bayourat15

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

NOT MUCH ROOM THEIR IF ARE BUILT AND MAYBE IN THE FUTURE A NEW CRUISE TERMINAL(OOPS! FORGOT CAP BUTTON ON)

#5 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

I read a short little clip in the chamber of commerce news letter and it said that the new completion date is 2009. I wonder if it will be pushed back even more. who knows?!

2009 sounds good. I'd hate to see it pushed back beyond that.

NOT MUCH ROOM THEIR IF ARE BUILT

Here's an aerial rendering that shows how it fits in.
Posted Image

#6 bayourat15

bayourat15

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

wow! whereya get all this info from! it looks good. Thanks!

Got a question, Will the land just north of the convention center turn into something different? Man, the convention center is a big waste of water front. Mobile should make it the second cruise ship dock. If (a big if) we ever get another ship, going have to put it some where, right?

as the rendering above shows. The new condo will take over cooper riverside park? Another big waste of money.

#7 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Will the land just north of the convention center turn into something different? Man, the convention center is a big waste of water front. Mobile should make it the second cruise ship dock. If (a big if) we ever get another ship, going have to put it some where, right?

Good question. I don't have any idea if the two container cranes just north of the convention center will move or not after the Choctaw Point container terminal is built. That land might be converted to public use if the port authority would allow it.

Does anyone know if those cranes will move to the new container terminal and free up some waterfront space?

#8 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

I dont think they are going anywhere. I wish they would give it to developers and the public. But I think the port doesn't want to part with it.

#9 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

I dont think they are going anywhere. I wish they would give it to developers and the public. But I think the port doesn't want to part with it.

That's too bad, but I guess it's what one should expect. I wonder if pleasure craft will ever be allowed to dock next to the park or Maritime Center after it's built. That should help enliven the area some. A new downtown marina would be great too, but I don't know where it could fit.

#10 austin356

austin356

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

Regarding the cruise terminal and about a 2nd ship.............. No new facilities have to be built to accomodate additional ships, only additional parking and prudent scheduling of dock days.

#11 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

The National Maritime Museum of the Gulf Coast will publicly launch its capital campaign on the waterfront Thursday. Fundraising has already begun, and the goal and progress so far will be announced at the event. The $30 million museum will be built with public and private funding.

Museum exhibits may include a crew's quarters, where visitors could sit on ship bunks and activate wall-mounted video monitors displaying accounts of life aboard a ship and other maritime experiences.

Mobile Press-Register: Museum to open capital campaign

Man, I'm glad to finally see this thing moving forward. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen.

#12 nimsjus

nimsjus

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:30 AM

Yeah I was wondering myself. I wonder what the big announcement on Thursday will be? Todays paper was packed with good stuff. This article, real estate column had several downtown/midtown moves, annexation/firehouse stuff, art market article, Mobile Convention and Visitors Beureau new website, and Wine Loft in Spring Hill. I posted all the links here:
http://forum.skyscra...149#post2875149

#13 bayourat15

bayourat15

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

2009 sounds good. I'd hate to see it pushed back beyond that.

Here's an aerial rendering that shows how it fits in.

the best spot for 2nd cruise terminal has to be the convention center. it would definitly make more money , than what it is doing now.
hey there is your bridge over water street.

And a new convention center would be placed at the eyesore civic center(when they tear it down.

#14 nimsjus

nimsjus

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

There was supposed to be a ceremony and big announcement at the museum site yesterday but the PR did not cover it. Anyone hear what went on?

#15 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

There was supposed to be a ceremony and big announcement at the museum site yesterday but the PR did not cover it. Anyone hear what went on?

I believe that event was set for today. It should be in tomorrow's paper.

Edit: The city website has a news item up about the museum announcement. The private fundraising goal is $10 million, with $6 million already committed. The paper will probably have more details tomorrow.

#16 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

The National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico launched its capital campaign with the announcement of a lead gift of $1 million from the McLean family. Malcom McLean pioneered the container shipping concept in the 1950s at the Waterman Steamship Co. in Mobile. The design of the museum was inspired by a container ship.

The 90,000-square-foot interactive museum is expected to cost $30 million and open in 2009. The city of Mobile will take the lead in building the museum, with $10.5 million in federal funds already earmarked for the project. The private fundraising goal is $10 million, with $6 million already committed.

Mobile Press-Register: Maritime Museum gets $1M gift

#17 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

Update: According to the article linked below, a visitorsí center will not be part of the maritime center (it will remain at Fort Conde) and the NOAA weather center looks unlikely because of hurricane damage concerns. The museum is on track to open in 2009, and plans for the ferry may still be moving ahead.

Lagniappe: The Real Deal

#18 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

the city needs to keep in contact with pensacola and Biloxi on maybe expanding ferry service to their downtowns and entertainment districts. I believe that those cities have mentioned the idea to the city, but I'm not sure.

#19 Southron

Southron

Burg

• Moderators
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

the city needs to keep in contact with pensacola and Biloxi on maybe expanding ferry service to their downtowns and entertainment districts.

Interesting idea. Would there be enough passenger interest to make it feasible?

#20 elb401

elb401

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

I'm not sure but for some reason I think biloxi mentioned it. I dont know if its reasonable or not. It would mainly be during the summer....more of a tourist route.