Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Wind power

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be supportive of a wind farm in NWA? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be supportive of a wind farm in NWA?

1. Yes (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 strmchsr77

strmchsr77

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

Yeah it's Weatherford. They've been there a year or two. Some have started popping up northwest of Amarillo the past year. There are some in New Mexico as well but they're barely visible from the interstate. The bad thing is NWA is supposed to be one of Arkansas' most viable options for wind power. I got the impression the biggest problem up here is the fact that most of our wind aren't in the summer when we have our peak usage. But yeah I can see NIMBY being a 'big' problem. They are pretty big. Of course you'd want them tall here so that they're above the treeline. But even if people were generally open to the idea they would probably change their mind if you told them it was going next door. I always thought they were pretty interesting to watch for some reason.

Here is what they look like in Weatherford, Oklahoma. There are hundreds of these surrounding the city. I took this while heading west on I-40 last week on my way to Sayre, OK.

Posted Image

#22 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the pic Colby. I've been meaning to stop by there one of these days on my way out to Albuquerque.

#23 masons_dad1

masons_dad1

Town

• Members+
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:47 AM

Here's some links to YouTube videos of the Oklahoma wind farm and a video from the BBC about one of the problems with inland wind turbines... plus a humorous promotional video for wind power:

Northwest Oklahoma Wind Farm (Warning: Tear Jerker):

Weatherford Wind Energy Center: http://youtube.com/w...p...ted&search=

Windpower Failure [BBC News]: http://youtube.com/w...p...ted&search=

$10,000 Wind Energy Video Contest (Warning: PG Rated):

#24 strmchsr77

strmchsr77

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Here is a wind power potential map for the U.S. The darker the blue, the better the wind potential is. As you can see NWA and West Central Arkansas have the best potential in the state for wind energy.

Posted Image

#25 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the map Colby. It seems somwhat close to one I've seen before in the past.

#26 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

Johnny found the map I had seen before. Then I couldn't find it again to post here. He posted it over in the Little Rock forum because Little Rock just announced a factory that will be building parts of the windmills.

#27 cowbreath

cowbreath

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

Lake Michigan looks good for wind. Congrats to Little Rock for getting that plant.

#28 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

With Fayetteville being so 'progressive' I wish there was a way for the city to somehow look into a wind farm themselves. Our metro isn't in the top category for the state. But I've seen a wind farm in New Mexico that appears to be in the same category that we are in. That's also not to say that the wind farm would have to be right next to the metro. Perhaps a little more into the Boston Mtns along I-540 that's in that higher category for winds.

#29 nwa_479

nwa_479

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

The Wal Mart out on Pleasant Grove Rd. in Rogers has a little windmill on top of one of the light poles in the parking lot and it's said that all of the lights in the parking lot are running off of the wind power. I saw it a few days ago and I was wondering what it was because well you don't really see anything like that in NWA. I figured that that was what it was used for. I'll try to get a picture of it in a few days.

Edited by nwa_479, 20 September 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#30 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:00 AM

The Wal Mart out on Pleasant Grove Rd. in Rogers has a little windmill on top of one of the light poles in the parking lot and it's said that all of the lights in the parking lot are running off of the wind power. I saw it a few days ago and I was wondering what it was because well you don't really see anything like that in NWA. I figured that that was what it was used for. I'll try to get a picture of it in a few days.

I've heard of some Wal-marts experimenting with stuff like that but I hadn't heard of any in Arkansas. I believe there are some in Texas that actually have a somewhat larger windmill.

#31 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Alternative energy has been mentioned a bit in the Fayetteville topic recently and I wanted to chime in over here some as well. I think many of us know SWEPCO has angered and frustrated a number of people in Fayetteville. Some possible alternatives have been mentioned. I'm still pretty big on the idea of wind power. I'm not sure which would be the best alternative in NWA, wind or solar. We do have quite a few cloudy days and we do seem to be in one of the better spots for wind power. I've been doing a little research lately. While there are some large areas in NWA that could provide some wind power it does seem as far as Arkansas is concerned the best locations rely a lot on elevation. The Boston Mtns and the Ouachitas being the top prime locations. One of the negative aspects is that overall these areas are rather secluded and away from population centers. I admit while I do find wind power appealing I'm not sure I'd want a huge wind farm right in the middle of Newton County. I'm still hoping one day more of that county might be set aside for protection. But I found a couple of areas that looked interesting. Ironically one is located in southern Washington County. Making it rather close to the built up populated area of the metro. Another that looked even better is located just southwest of Harrison, not far at all from the city. I realize wind farms aren't going to replace any of the coal or gas powered plants we have. But I still think there's enough potential to be worth the effort.

#32 Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Alternative energy has been mentioned a bit in the Fayetteville topic recently and I wanted to chime in over here some as well. I think many of us know SWEPCO has angered and frustrated a number of people in Fayetteville. Some possible alternatives have been mentioned. I'm still pretty big on the idea of wind power. I'm not sure which would be the best alternative in NWA, wind or solar. We do have quite a few cloudy days and we do seem to be in one of the better spots for wind power. I've been doing a little research lately. While there are some large areas in NWA that could provide some wind power it does seem as far as Arkansas is concerned the best locations rely a lot on elevation. The Boston Mtns and the Ouachitas being the top prime locations. One of the negative aspects is that overall these areas are rather secluded and away from population centers. I admit while I do find wind power appealing I'm not sure I'd want a huge wind farm right in the middle of Newton County. I'm still hoping one day more of that county might be set aside for protection. But I found a couple of areas that looked interesting. Ironically one is located in southern Washington County. Making it rather close to the built up populated area of the metro. Another that looked even better is located just southwest of Harrison, not far at all from the city. I realize wind farms aren't going to replace any of the coal or gas powered plants we have. But I still think there's enough potential to be worth the effort.

No offense, but I personally would take up arms and fight to the death to keep wind farms out of the Ozarks and probably the Ouachitas too. Put them over in OK and we'll just buy the power. I'm sure since you've seen them before you know the scale needed for a farm to produce enough meaningful power and it would destroy perhaps one of the most beautiful regions of this country. No way in he!!. It isn't worth it. There's plenty of ocean space out there where wind farms can produce power with greater regularity and not destroy our land.

#33 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

No offense, but I personally would take up arms and fight to the death to keep wind farms out of the Ozarks and probably the Ouachitas too. Put them over in OK and we'll just buy the power. I'm sure since you've seen them before you know the scale needed for a farm to produce enough meaningful power and it would destroy perhaps one of the most beautiful regions of this country. No way in he!!. It isn't worth it. There's plenty of ocean space out there where wind farms can produce power with greater regularity and not destroy our land.

I understand where you're coming from. The bad thing is the further away you put your power source the more power you lose as it eventually travels over powerlines to your location. There are certainly areas of both the Ozarks and Ouachitas that I think should be off limits. But I'd still be in favor of putting in a wind farm in southern Washington County. I don't it would be too encompassing, it would mainly need to just be on the one of two of the ridges/mountains of southern Washington County to be in the most effective area. I also think the area just outside of Harrison would be a decent location as well. I don't know if Harrison really needs an alternative power source or even where they get their power from. But I guess I just feel there could be wind farms in some particular areas that wouldn't 'ruin' the Ozarks.

#34 Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

I understand where you're coming from. The bad thing is the further away you put your power source the more power you lose as it eventually travels over powerlines to your location. There are certainly areas of both the Ozarks and Ouachitas that I think should be off limits. But I'd still be in favor of putting in a wind farm in southern Washington County. I don't it would be too encompassing, it would mainly need to just be on the one of two of the ridges/mountains of southern Washington County to be in the most effective area. I also think the area just outside of Harrison would be a decent location as well. I don't know if Harrison really needs an alternative power source or even where they get their power from. But I guess I just feel there could be wind farms in some particular areas that wouldn't 'ruin' the Ozarks.

I follow on the line losses. While I'm not a real proponent for the carbon trade I think if we were to use the offsets of sea borne wind in coastal areas then as a nations we could power our interior off of coal using modern technologies and more than meet emmissions reductions. If we could power even 10-20% of the coastal areas off of wind then we'd accomplish a lot more than trying to get even all of Arkansas and Missouri off of non-renewable energy. It just seems far too elegant that our best and most reliable sources of wind are very close to our densest population centers.

#35 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

I follow on the line losses. While I'm not a real proponent for the carbon trade I think if we were to use the offsets of sea borne wind in coastal areas then as a nations we could power our interior off of coal using modern technologies and more than meet emmissions reductions. If we could power even 10-20% of the coastal areas off of wind then we'd accomplish a lot more than trying to get even all of Arkansas and Missouri off of non-renewable energy. It just seems far too elegant that our best and most reliable sources of wind are very close to our densest population centers.

Yeah wind power on the coastal areas really is a good idea. For that matter a majority of the population is on the coast so that works out well. As far as the interior of the country goes the Great Plains are overall the best. Few trees to become a windbreak like you do here in Arkansas. And the plains aren't as scenic, although I guess that's a matter of opinion and I imagine a few might argue with me on that.

#36 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

I've been meaning to mention this but a church in Springdale has added three windmills. Not the huge kind you find in other places. But I still found it interesting. I can't remember the name of the church. It's one that near I-540. I think I heard that the three windmills would provide 15% of it's power.

#37 Snaple4

Snaple4

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

I've been meaning to mention this but a church in Springdale has added three windmills. Not the huge kind you find in other places. But I still found it interesting. I can't remember the name of the church. It's one that near I-540. I think I heard that the three windmills would provide 15% of it's power.

I was reading something about that. This is a great thing but far from a wind far. If every home/business had the resources to include 1-5 windmills on their property, that would bring down our dependence. Though that would also look ugly... Anyway, I am all for places putting up small windmills to use on their property, or even larger ones on industrial/commercial areas. I would not however support an actual wind farm in the Ozarks.

A wind farm is beautiful when in the right setting, but in the Ozarks would be nothing but an eyesore that would barely be profitable or helpful to the environment. (I actually think one would hurt our environment more than help. Just think of all the birds that would die. All the plants/animals that would have to be displaced in order to setup and maintain them. All of the energy used in order to create and ship all of the parts here. All of the oils and maintenance parts)

You have to have constant wind and economies of scale for a wind farm to work. Neither of which can be found easily in NWA.

#38 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,716 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:32 AM

I was reading something about that. This is a great thing but far from a wind far. If every home/business had the resources to include 1-5 windmills on their property, that would bring down our dependence. Though that would also look ugly... Anyway, I am all for places putting up small windmills to use on their property, or even larger ones on industrial/commercial areas. I would not however support an actual wind farm in the Ozarks.

A wind farm is beautiful when in the right setting, but in the Ozarks would be nothing but an eyesore that would barely be profitable or helpful to the environment. (I actually think one would hurt our environment more than help. Just think of all the birds that would die. All the plants/animals that would have to be displaced in order to setup and maintain them. All of the energy used in order to create and ship all of the parts here. All of the oils and maintenance parts)

You have to have constant wind and economies of scale for a wind farm to work. Neither of which can be found easily in NWA.

Although I still wouldn't have any problems with a wind farm, I also like the idea of people and businesses putting in smaller windmills as well. Every little bit helps. I do wonder about one thing though. I have heard people comment on birds dying, but I think it's a bit overstated. I've actually done a little searching and it seems to be be in debate. Although birds do die from wind farms they seem to die in similar amounts from power lines, tall buildings, even vehicles. Maybe we should put limits on how many vehicles while we're at it. :D Just kidding, but anyway adding all of that up still pales to the amount of birds that die due to domestic cats. Some sites I've checked call this an eco-myth. One study done by Danish researchers showed that a couple of Danish wind farms actually benefited birds more than hurt. I've seen some sites that does mention bird deaths caused by wind farms, but I haven't seen any specific figures or if there is any studies to back these numbers yet. Either way I guess it's something to keep an eye on. But I'm getting the feeling that you shouldn't hold back on a wind farm because of the bird factor. I also don't think you'd necessarily have to totally clear the land for a wind farm. The biggest problem I could see is trees being in the way of installing the wind mills. But the windmills I've seen out west are pretty tall. I could see having to check and maybe trim the tops of trees so they don't hit the propellers but they stand pretty high up. I guess I just don't see a wind farm doing more damage to the environment than say the coal powered plant we all use at Gentry.

#39 shaddo

shaddo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

The Southpass project in Southeast Fayetteville is looking into the feasibility of a wind farm on the far western (Farmington) side of the acreage. This whole project is not only centered around a community park but also green preservation and sustainability.

#40 zman9810

zman9810

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

The Southpass project in Southeast Fayetteville is looking into the feasibility of a wind farm on the far western (Farmington) side of the acreage. This whole project is not only centered around a community park but also green preservation and sustainability.

I think that would be on top of Kessler Mountain which should have a steady wind but would be visible for many miles . The city would have to choose between sustainabilty and the degradation of a natural viewshed (or whatever you want to call it- I can't think of a better way at the moment). It would be very interesting to see how that would play out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users