Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Wind power

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be supportive of a wind farm in NWA? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be supportive of a wind farm in NWA?

1. Yes (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:22 AM

That's interesting, I didn't realize they were considering it. I don't see them as eyesores, but obviously not everyone agrees with me. But just as people don't want to see tall buildings in Fayetteville, some people don't want to see tall wind turbines either. IN that aspect the bad thing is that all the best locations in Arkansas are basically on the hills and mountains in the state. In general the taller it is the better, but that also means the best locations are going to be more visible in some instances.

#42 shaddo

shaddo

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

I think that would be on top of Kessler Mountain which should have a steady wind but would be visible for many miles . The city would have to choose between sustainabilty and the degradation of a natural viewshed (or whatever you want to call it- I can't think of a better way at the moment). It would be very interesting to see how that would play out.

The preliminary site at Southpass might be out of the line of sight considering it is on the Farmington side on the other side of Kessler Mtn.

#43 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

I read something interesting today. Apparently TradeWind Energy, located in Kansas, is thinking about locating a wind farm near Maysville in extreme northwest Arkansas. Though the article I read did make me ponder some things. It gave me the impression that this area wasn't great for wind energy because of the hilly terrain. But at the same time a lot of the data I've seen elsewhere has led me to believe the Ozarks are actually some of the best areas in the state for wind energy. But anyway apparently the company has leased 2,000 acres north of Maysville. They plan to put up a test tower to study the wind in the area to see if it has the potentially they think it has. If things work out the way they hope there could be a windfarm on 26,000 acres across the Arkansas - Oklahoma border generating enough power for 40,000 homes. Who knows how things will work out and even if things move forward I imagine there will have to be other issues addressed. I am guessing that some people will possibly fight the idea. Not really sure how long testing will take. But hopefully we'll hear more about this in upcoming months.

#44 cowbreath

cowbreath

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

I think I would have to take back my vote in supporting the wind farms. Although it is sustainable power, I think there are questions about its effect on the ecosystem and bird patterns. I think there should be other ways to harvest wind power or sun power without visually affecting the sights and scenery.

I think we should look at ways that houses can be individually more effective at providing their own power also before we go into contracting huge amounts of land and airspace to thirsty wind companies.

There was an article in nwatimes today that brought this to my mind: Test wind towers in Washington County

#45 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

I think I would have to take back my vote in supporting the wind farms. Although it is sustainable power, I think there are questions about its effect on the ecosystem and bird patterns. I think there should be other ways to harvest wind power or sun power without visually affecting the sights and scenery.

I think we should look at ways that houses can be individually more effective at providing their own power also before we go into contracting huge amounts of land and airspace to thirsty wind companies.

There was an article in nwatimes today that brought this to my mind: Test wind towers in Washington County

I guess there really isn't anything like free power that doesn't have some sort of 'string's attached. But I'm still not sure that wind power is that bad for the environment, especially compared to other power plants. I've seen birds get hit by automobiles, but I'm not going to say we need to ban automobiles either. :D In some way or other they all have their negative aspects. But yeah I did hear about that Chicago based company putting in a couple of test towers in south Washington County just east of Winslow. I'm excited to hear about it. I don't want wind farms covering most of NWA but I don't see any problems with having a wind farm somewhere in the area. I also doubt it would be anything the size of some of the ones you see out west.

#46 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

A potential wind farm in Benton County is still getting some press. Even though the company is still just testing. Initial results appear good and have been what the company expected so far. But tests will keep running for another year or two to get more accurate results. It also seems to have a name now, the Honey Creek Wind Farm. It would cover 26,000 acres in Arkansas and Oklahoma with 15,000 acres actually having the wind turbines. If things went the way the initial tests have gone. It would produce enough power annually to power 40,000 homes. There would be 100 turbines that would take 3-10 years to install. The landowners seem interested in the idea, but are a bit skeptical that this area has enough wind. I also provided a picture of the site from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette.

Posted Image

#47 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

Sounds like some potential wind farms have run into problems with there being no power lines to take the power generated anywhere. So some projects have been canceled in some areas of the country. But it sounds like the Honey Creek won't have that problem. Although they're still gathering wind data. Sounds like the company behind the wind farm is also looking into some other possible sites in the state.

#48 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Looks like wind power in NWA might have just taken a hit. Aside from all the issues of whether there's enough wind in the area to make it work. Along with other issues like some people being resistant to the idea. There's also the possible effect it can have on wildlife. Birds have been mentioned before, but the bigger problem now could be bats. In particular the endangered Ozark Big Ear Bat. Apparently bats don't even have to hit the blades to be killed. The change in air pressure near the blades is enough to kill bats. The possible site in Benton County might not be affected but the site in southeast Washington County is. Ivenergy, the company that has been looking at a possible location in southeast Washington County, still hasn't ruled out the site but it will make it more difficult.

#49 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Well doesn't look like there will be any wind farm in southeast Washington County. With an endangered bat in that area the company involved has decided to not pursue the idea. Although there had been questions in the first place in whether there would be enough sustained wind to make it feasible in the first place. But I suppose there's still the chance from the Benton County location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users