Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

People talking about Grand Rapids

• Please log in to reply
761 replies to this topic

#1 Libertarian

Libertarian

Whistle-Stop

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

Getting "props" from the NYTimes!

http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=business

#2 Libertarian

Libertarian

Whistle-Stop

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

Now, after acutally reading the article :P , I am speechless. I could sit here and dissect every paragraph due to the flattering info being displayed to the world (literally)! The NYtimes is never known, in my opinion, to utilize hyperbole, which is why this is so cool. I am really proud to be a Grand Rapidian!

By the way, the museum isnt open yet :lol: .

#3 joeDowntown

joeDowntown

Town

• Moderators
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Wow, that is fantastic. Grand Rapids is getting some much deserved national press. I'm sure it will continue with the LEED aspect of GRAM, as well as the JW and all of the other revitalization of downtown. This is momentum!

Joe

#4 bwindi25

bwindi25

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:24 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...a...nted=1&_r=1

This came out in the NY Times Real Estate section today.

EDIT: Thanks for merging my thread. It looks like I have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat Libertarian to a post :)

Edited by bwindi25, 11 July 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#5 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...a...nted=1&_r=1

This came out in the NY Times Real Estate section today.

That's a very nice article. Not to pick nits or anything, but did you notice that every name they drop (Detroit, MSU, University of Kentucky, San Diego) is hyperlinked in that story. The only place not hyperlinked... Grand Rapids. Doh! :blink:

(however it is listed down at the bottom of the page if you scroll down far enough to the "Related Searches" section)

#6 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Now, after acutally reading the article :P , I am speechless. I could sit here and dissect every paragraph due to the flattering info being displayed to the world (literally)! The NYtimes is never known, in my opinion, to utilize hyperbole, which is why this is so cool. I am really proud to be a Grand Rapidian!

By the way, the museum isnt open yet :lol: .

And that picture on the first page is not MSU's Med School. :lol:

Other than that it's perfect! :yahoo:

(I merged the posts into this thread)

#7 WOT

WOT

Whistle-Stop

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thanks to the families contributing financially,

Congrats to our community,

Encouragement to all of our West Michigan Entrepreneurs!

#8 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

Thinking about this, it couldn't have appeared in a better section of the NY Times (Real Estate section). Think about who might be perusing the real estate section: buyers in NY looking for apartments/condos, real estate investors, etc..

They see this article, do a little Grand Rapids research and see the low cost of housing, bingo. Or they do some google searching and...

Grand Rapids Health Hill - google
Grand Rapids development - google
Downtown Grand Rapids condominiums - google

I see UrbanPlanet a few times in the first of second pages. :whistling:

Note to self: time to update the Downtown Development Updates thread.

#9 tamias6

tamias6

Town

• Members+
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes! :yahoo: This is the kind of press coverage GR needs. Keep it up!

#10 Rizzo

Rizzo

City

• Members+
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

Nice :thumbsup: According to the NYT this article is also the number 3 emailed real estate article.

As a matter of clarification what do we call this humongous development on Michigan St.? I know the architects of the Michigan St. concept are more proponent of Medical Mile -- I am too. It seems people of the press call it Health Hill or Pill Hill, but what sells the development the most? "Medical Mile" sounds more entrepreneurial.

EDIT: Looks like Wood caught wind of this. http://woodtv.com/Gl...y.asp?S=6774351 -- Again its not Michigan Ave. Avenues run north and south here... I'd be embarrassed to let that slip, -- Avenue... :lol:

Edited by Rizzo, 11 July 2007 - 11:59 AM.

#11 Libertarian

Libertarian

Whistle-Stop

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

Between this article, this article: http://query.nytimes...75AC0A9609C8B63 , and the article (cant find the link) on the new museum..... the Times is really giving us some serious respect! And this is all within the last year.

#12 Time

Time

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Nice :thumbsup: According to the NYT this article is also the number 3 emailed real estate article.
As a matter of clarification what do we call this humongous development on Michigan St.? I know the architects of the Michigan St. concept are more proponent of Medical Mile -- I am too. It seems people of the press call it Health Hill or Pill Hill, but what sells the development the most? "Medical Mile" sounds more entrepreneurial.
EDIT: Looks like Wood caught wind of this. http://woodtv.com/Gl...y.asp?S=6774351 -- Again its not Michigan Ave. Avenues run north and south here... I'd be embarrassed to let that slip, -- Avenue... :lol:

I agree Rizzo, i would love to see the area designated as the medical mile. Health hill is ok but a little bland. Pill Hill just sounds backwoods to me.

#13 wingbert

wingbert

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

I agree Rizzo, i would love to see the area designated as the medical mile. Health hill is ok but a little bland. Pill Hill just sounds backwoods to me.

Is it time for a poll?

Medical Mile
Pill Hill
Health Hill
Sawbones City

#14 wayneoh

wayneoh

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Medical Mile
Pill Hill
Health Hill
Sawbones City

None of the above? :blink:

#15 chgrnative

chgrnative

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Is it time for a poll?

Medical Mile
Pill Hill
Health Hill
Sawbones City

Research Perch :blush:

#16 quoteme3

quoteme3

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

Research Perch :blush:

the beaker esker :o

#17 Libertarian

Libertarian

Whistle-Stop

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Another flattering NYTimes article regarding a West Michigan (well, Northwest) gem... †Traverse City. †As of 3:00PM today it was the 8th most read article. †It states that Traverse City is "pleasantly hip."

http://travel.nytime...ave...&ei=5087

#18 mifunboy

mifunboy

Unincorporated Area

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

A few thoughts:

1) As someone that moved here from Southeast Michigan for a job I am very happy with everything out here. You would think you were in another state out here. Everyone in general is more upbeat out here especially the professionals. I moved from working in Ann Arbor at a hospital to one here and I am very proud of my institution.

2) As a fairly recent college graduate (2002) it has been very hard finding work in general the past few years but this side of the state is a lot better and has hope.

3) As a graduate student, my opportunities out in GR are way better than elsewhere. My parents were very surprised at the growth out here when they visited.

4) I wish someone had a rendering of GR with all these proposed buildings built because it would be pretty cool.

Edited by mifunboy, 13 July 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#19 houseofdon

houseofdon

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

The consensus is that "Medical Mile" is the preferred nickname. Everyone was happy with the news article, of course, but a lot of the powers-that-be wished the NYT had used Medical Mile instead of Pill Hill or Health Hill.

#20 Rizzo

Rizzo

City

• Members+
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

It might be in the interests of the "powers-that-be" to work on a addy package that address this discrepancy. I'm sure some people are scoffing at this topic, but it may be crucial to form a name and image. I do know it is preferred name, but if your also in the business of attracting talent and investment you want to sell yourself, correct? If I were a small bio-tech business on the hill I'd want the prestige of a Medical Mile address, rather than just another building on Michigan St. or The Hill.

What about an honrory name for Michigan St.?

Biotech Firm XYZ
555 Medical Mile
Grand Rapids, MI. 49503

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users