Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

• Please log in to reply
1797 replies to this topic

#821 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

I gotta say, I agree. I am just impressed. Many of my concerns about another behemoth sports venue are satisfied. I like the open space at 3 corners (plaza by Bearden park, and grass at both corners on 4th), as it helps add visibility for the streets as well as some diagonal movement to make it easy to get around when not in use. Further, the hotel is a decent midrise scale (9-stories), so help add some point of interest to the rebuilt 4th St. while not overpowering it all. It is also more of the style and scale of Gateway Village.

The 2-3 story facade on Graham, MLK, and Mint all appear very ped-friendly, and seem to have some accommodation for street retail along MLK (I hope this isn't just an illusion). Certainly the wide sidewalks are major plus necessity with so many pedestrians headed through this way to the Panthers and Knights

I sure hope the Knights are not fibbing about this round of funding being what makes it happen. I am back to being supportive of this. My primary hope is once this solidifies, the remaining parcels are obvious places for apartment or hotel developers pop up to finally take up some of the remaining parcels in the area.

#822 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Here's another rendering of the ballpark... Have to say, I like it as well. The openness of it doesn't make it so much of a deadzone that I think many people feared. If you stick a few bars/restaurants or some kind of retail in there, this place is home run in my book (I was on the fence before). The hotel is just the right size too.

Posted Image

Edited by dbull75, 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#823 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

I would LIVE in this ballpark if I could. But I can't...so I'll just give them my money 4-6 nights a week to hang out for a few hours.

#824 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

We'll miss the tailgating and the short (and easy!) drive from Ballantyne, but as long as it's still 8 bucks a ticket, I'm sure my family will still attend 2-3 games a year, as we do now. It *is* all shiny and new, isn't it? Love the look.

OMB has a huge presence in Ft Mill -- how about a special "microbrew" beer court, featuring OMB, NoDa, Birdsong, etc.? In the spirit of Charlotte kinship, yes?

Edited by grodney, 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#825 tiblerbrit

tiblerbrit

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

What's the deal with the hotel? Is it just speculative, or do they have a developer/interest already?

#826 ah59396

ah59396

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Man, I will be walking from Hooligans through Romare Bearden to the ball game WAY to often...

#827 ricky_davis_fan_21

ricky_davis_fan_21

Town

• Members+
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

What's the deal with the hotel? Is it just speculative, or do they have a developer/interest already?

They already have interest, and in meetings past they have said there is 700+ units of apartments that will be announced once this starts construction.

#828 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

The way it was told to me is that the renderings show a "possibility" and reflect the design intent the Knights desire.

#829 cityboi

cityboi

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Very impressive. I love the scale of this ballpark. Its not a huge stadium and more like the size of a AA park. The setting will be more intimate and there won't be a bad seat in the house. I like that fact that is has both retro and modern elements. The upper deck is inset like Greensboro's ballpark which helps bring the ballpark down to a more human scale on the exterior. Actually I see a number of similarities between the layout of this stadium and NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro.

compare the roofline

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by cityboi, 31 May 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#830 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I agree about the retro and modern combination. It is also quite open where people walking by will be able to see the play or when not in use, they'll see the green lawn.

#831 AirNostrumMAD

AirNostrumMAD

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

The way it was told to me is that the renderings show a "possibility" and reflect the design intent the Knights desire.

Is there a possibility that it may be taller than what the picture suggest? I know the whole point of the rendering is to showcase the stadium (and not a hotel/Apartment), so is there a possibility we could be surprised by height, you think?

All these years (since ~2005) of waiting for another highrise hotel and not a single one since Westin has came about.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD, 31 May 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#832 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

The hotel could theoretically be taller, yes. It all depends on whether they have something lined up or if it is a placeholder. Generally, it seems that they were looking for development partners and settled on a hotel, so I suspect they do have a partner lined up and that rendering shows the current design based on the size their partner would need.

#833 southslider

southslider

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Why is the block between Mint, Poplar, 3rd, and 4th to the east of the ballpark shown with nothing on it? Could it be because any mid-rise or taller building on this block risks impacting the skyline views from home plate?

#834 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Crude MSPaints of the day.

Using the rendering:
Posted Image

Using the Greensboro ballpark:
Posted Image

#835 wend28

wend28

Town

• Members+
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

There's an article in today's Charlotte Biz Journal that talks about the development that would occur once construction of the stadium commences. It again reiterated that the Knights have talked to a developer and have the interest for a 120-150 room hotel behind the left field wall as depicted in the rendering. There are also that multiple developers waiting in the wings to announce plans for other developments, likely residential, once this stadium gets the green light. $350 mill worth of projects is the number we keep hearing. They also fully expect whatever vacant retail spots in 3rd Ward fill up (such as the empty spot in the Catalyst parking deck) when there will be 72 home games a year. I know we've all heard this before, but it's good that we continue to hear it. We could possibly have more infill in 3rd Ward very soon.

Edited by dbull75, 01 June 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#836 rugger62

rugger62

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

That overhead is awesome! Any chance you can add something to represent the new apartments that are planned for the open parking lot on the NW corner of the Catalyst lot? I think there is a link to the renderings for it someone in one of the boards, but I can't remember which.

#837 cityboi

cityboi

Metropolis

• Members+
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

great job Grodney

#838 krazeeboi

krazeeboi

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

That looks good; could possibly give Autozone Park in Memphis a run for its money.

But seems a bit confusing that BB&T has naming rights on Winston-Salem's ballpark and this one.

#839 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

http://www.bizjourna...-charlotte.html

Oh. My. God. What is wrong with that man? Does he have any clue that the economy killed any chance of Charlotte getting MLB for DECADES? It is pretty much seeming like a psychosis at this point, but I can't understand how so many terrible projects in the world can skirt opposition yet a simple ballpark that is modest and wanted by the community can get such a harassment and abusing our legal system.

Not to mention he is now creating a lawsuit claiming that city funding like that is illegal, while certainly if his crazy MLB plan were to happen, he would be asking for a mountain more of this exact funding. Without it, it is even less likely that Charlotte would get MLB. You almost never see sports teams relocating or expanding without getting a near-free stadium in return.

#840 New Name

New Name

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I hope the Knights do one of those "buy-a-brick-sponsorship" programs - so we can launch a drive to get Jerry Reese's name on as many of them as possible. JUST. TO. PISS. HIM. OFF.
  • dubone and kermit like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users