Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

large mixed use development planned for downtown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

picture link
the new development would take four years to build and cost $150 million dollars. It would be located south of the Cape Fear Memorial
bridge. Click the picture after the link to get the "big" picture.

Edited by TLT, 01 October 2007 - 04:33 PM.

#2 CapeFearRiver10

CapeFearRiver10

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

picture link
the new development would take four years to build and cost $150 million dollars. It would be located south of the Cape Fear Memorial
bridge. Click the picture after the link to get the "big" picture.

Well I hope this building makes it, but can some show me a downtown grid of all the proposals?

#3 NCMike1981

NCMike1981

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

I like the pic :)

Edited by NCMike1981, 02 October 2007 - 07:40 AM.

#4 basket1058

basket1058

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

Wow, that's great news for Wilmington!! This project would be a big step in the right direction, in terms of establishing a taller, downtown district north of the main downtown. Hopefully we'll be able to see some progress on it soon!!

#5 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

Well I hope this building makes it, but can some show me a downtown grid of all the proposals?

Here is a aerial photo link of the north side. The convention center breaks ground in November.This will include a Marriott or an Embassy Suites Hotel. PPD project is complete and future plans call for a second tower downtown. Marina and condo project
is underway, all the buildings have been removed and land has been prepared for construction. This project will also include a Hotel,
which would be a Embassy Suites if it is not built near the convention center. Another Hotel is being considered across from the PPD building where the old Salvation Army is located now.The Third Street building mentioned in the caption is a proposed Bank of America building. Front Street has been changed to a two way street now. The area around Fourth Street old "Brooklyn" Neighbor also now known as the North Fourth Street Art District, has had a building boom of at least 5 condo buildings from 3 to 5 floors. Another condo building of 6 floors has been built close to Cape Fear Community College. This building is near completion and I think there is only a couple of units still available.

The 121 Market Street Project still has a website but no date for ground breaking or news has come from these folks since early summer when they announced the project was still a go but the time table has been pushed back.

The old Wachovia building on Front Street has been sold and the new owners plan a 6 or 8 floor condo project which will break ground next summer after the old Wachovia building has been demolished.

The old Water Street parking deck is scheduled to be demolished next spring for a new mixed use project that will include condos retail and a nice downtown park stretching from front street to the river.

The City View project (located across the river from downtown) is no more. The project could not get approval because of several problems including water sewer and roads that are hard to improve.

The new Gateway Project would be on the south side beside of the memorial bridge.

The above are all downtown projects.

The expansion of Mayfaire, The new Autumn Hall (another Mayfaire type mixed use project is now under construction) and the expanding Monkey Junction area projects are yet another story.

#6 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:06 AM

Here is a new picture and article on the Gateway project. The Wilmington Planning Commission has approved the project plans as long as they make proposed street improvements and any other street improvements planners and council recommend. The planning board loves the green space and conservation efforts put into the project.
The tallest building is a proposed 14 floors.
If the link does not take you directly to the article, click the "local" news tab, then the "rezone" article listed below.

Edited by TLT, 04 October 2007 - 05:11 AM.

#7 NcSc74

NcSc74

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

This is just what I wanted for Wilmington. A new CDB with modern buildings with the older CDB and all of its history left intact. How cool would that look in 10 years if the new side of downtown kpet growing with urban infill in between. Keep it up Wilmington you just might get the respect you deserve.

#8 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

This is just what I wanted for Wilmington. A new CDB with modern buildings with the older CDB and all of its history left intact. How cool would that look in 10 years if the new side of downtown kpet growing with urban infill in between. Keep it up Wilmington you just might get the respect you deserve.

here is a link to a new 10 floor condo project in the middle of downtown that should help start fill in the CBD.

#9 The Fringe

The Fringe

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

They both look like nice projects. Does anyone know the schedules for these projects?

#10 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

They both look like nice projects. Does anyone know the schedules for these projects?

the View on Water Street condo project wants to start construction late next spring and finish late 2009, The Gateway project has not set a date for construction, recently the city planning commission did approve the initial plans and rezoning for the project it goes before the city council soon for final approval.

#11 NcSc74

NcSc74

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

I like the east, west and south views but the north from the project is not that sexy. There needs to something in that area to please the eye. Which view is best to guys. I like the one of the east. The church steeples and the old CDB really sets the mood for me. If timing were right I would live there. Since I have friends in Wilmington and my family lives close by in Clinton and Fayetteville. Who knows I might get a job at GE down that way in the distant future.

#12 RiverwoodCLT

RiverwoodCLT

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Wilmington is using some good bait to land all these nice looking projects.

#13 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

All was going well for this project, then tragedy struck, one of the main investors was killed in a plane crash, so the future of the project is now up in the air.

#14 TLT

TLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

A vote by city council on the Gateway Project was delayed until March 3rd. The Residents of Old Wilmington protested the size of the project and the traffic the project would generate. The developer was told to have at least one more public meeting and try to address the neighbors concerns, and resubmit any modifications by the March meeting.

IMO the project would make a much more attractive neighbor than the trashy empty field beside the oil depot located there now.

#15 reeeems

reeeems

Unincorporated Area

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

I drive that route to work every day. They need to do some serious repaving projects in that area if they expect to build something that large. That section of south Front (between Castle & Carolina Beach Rd) is, according to the city, the worst stretch of road in the city limits.

This seems like a square peg in a round hole. That stretch of road carries probably 95% (a guess) of those big container trucks coming from the port, and it is adjacent to two different fuel depots. Not to mention that each of those big gasoline trucks must stop at each railroad crossing (there are two), which slows existing traffic to a crawl. In order for this project to end up like the pretty concept picture the architects have drawn, there needs to:
a. Be an alternate route for those port trucks (not gonna happen)
and
b. Not be two fuel depots next door (not gonna happen)

Edited by reeeems, 24 January 2008 - 10:41 AM.