-- CLICK HERE to buy advertising space for this spot! --

Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

38 Commerce Development

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#1 mgreven

mgreven

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

GRBJ Breaking News:

Parking commissioners will learn about a potential new downtown development Thursday morning that proposes to combine a pair of mixed-use projects in two buildings with a city-built parking ramp in the Heartside Business District.The development has been pegged for Commerce Avenue and Weston Street, just south of Fulton Street and near the Van Andel Arena............The property is owned by a group of investors doing business as 38 Commerce LLC and is managed by Kelwin Properties, a local development company.

http://www.grbj.com/...9-1FEE3610AE60}

Anyone know any more? Seven story ramp = possible big project! The city seems to be jumping on board fast.

#2 cityslicker

cityslicker

Whistle-Stop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

The link does not work :(

#3 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

Fixed the link. I don't have a subscription, but does it include the entire block there all the way to Oakes? There was a rumor here on UP a LONG time ago that the old Maxies Bldg was going to be torn down and a parking ramp was going to go somewhere there along Commerce. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

#4 DwntwnGeo

DwntwnGeo

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

Here are some additional quotes from the Business Journal:

“Parking Services Director Pam Ritsema will tell commissioners the city is considering buying a portion of the three-quarter-acre site and building a seven-story, 360-space ramp there to support the growing business district.”

“the property would cost the city $1.7 million. Parking Services would pick up nearly $1.2 million of the purchase price and the DDA would fund the remaining amount.”

“The ramp has been estimated to cost just under $11 million, a price tag that includes the land, engineering, design and construction. Construction has been targeted for October and would take two years to complete”

“A part of the ramp deal requires 38 Commerce to raze its building at its cost and then put up two structures totaling at least 68,000 square feet for office, retail and residential uses on the portion of the property the city wouldn't buy.”

Sounds like there are several projects still in the works around the City. :whistling:

With another parking garage in the area, maybe this will get the City to sell off the empty lots behind the Arena to developers :thumbsup:

Edited by DwntwnGeo, 06 November 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#5 NorthEnder

NorthEnder

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

I wonder what the ratio of parking ramps to buildings is.

I'm the first to complain about parking, but it'd be nice if these could get incorporated under buildings, or as part of base levels, instead of being their own stand alone units.

#6 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

How many stories are we talking here, 68,000 sq ft in two buildings?

#7 numstead

numstead

Hamlet

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

This has been in the works for a while, and I spent a lot of time working on it last Spring (design and presentation graphics). I've been out of the loop on this since I left for school back in August, so it's nice to finally see some news.

All I'll say at this point is that this is a project that all of you UPers can get behind. Its going to be a very urban solution to the parking ramp problem. The concept presents mixed-use liner buildings, forming an inverted "L", around the North and West sides of the parking structure. You'll only see the parking structure from the south and from the alley to the east.

#8 cityslicker

cityslicker

Whistle-Stop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

Way cool!! I am excited for them to unveil the renderings!

#9 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

This has been in the works for a while, and I spent a lot of time working on it last Spring (design and presentation graphics). I've been out of the loop on this since I left for school back in August, so it's nice to finally see some news.

All I'll say at this point is that this is a project that all of you UPers can get behind. Its going to be a very urban solution to the parking ramp problem. The concept presents mixed-use liner buildings, forming an inverted "L", around the North and West sides of the parking structure. You'll only see the parking structure from the south and from the alley to the east.

Sounds good to me! The Kelwin Properties company mentioned in the article has a great urban philosophy that I think most of us here share:

http://kelwinpropert...philosophy.html

They also have an interesting lineup of people on their advisory board:

Neil Takemota of CoolTown Studios (mentioned here at one time years ago)

Joe Alfrendo of Kentlands Co.

Kennedy Smith of the Clue Group

I have a feeling the Kelwin people lurk here occasionally. :thumbsup:

I wonder if this parcel the city is talking about includes Sam Cummings land on Commerce? And I wonder where Winkelmann will go if/when their building gets demo'd? Says that they hope to begin construction in October (2008?).

#10 numstead

numstead

Hamlet

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

I almost forgot that I posted this little study model on flickr back in January... cryptic enough for ya?

Posted Image

#11 MAU

MAU

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

And I wonder where Winkelmann will go if/when their building gets demo'd? Says that they hope to begin construction in October (2008?).

No where because it's not included.

#12 twoshort

twoshort

Town

• Members+
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

looks like 7 stories or so.

#13 MAU

MAU

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

I wonder if this parcel the city is talking about includes Sam Cummings land on Commerce?

What i saw earlier in the year was a Sam project. I wonder if they're using the same plans.

#14 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

I almost forgot that I posted this little study model on flickr back in January... cryptic enough for ya?

Posted Image

Ohhhh, I thought that was one of the squids from the Matrix. :P And MAU, you're right, Winkelmann is at 62 Commerce. I was thinking they were at 38.

Here's the land in question, and it does "sound" like Second Story's property is included:

Posted Image

Very interested to see renderings. I think there may be other news coming out soon on Commerce Ave. Time will tell. :whistling:

#15 GR_Urbanist

GR_Urbanist

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Sweet!

It looks like it's going to take up a chunk of that massive parking lot that ran between Commerce and Division.

#16 MAU

MAU

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

And MAU, you're right, DTS Winkelmann is at 62 Commerce. I was thinking they were at 38.

The only thing that will happen to 62 Commerce is a loss of view to the north.

#17 Rizzo

Rizzo

City

• Members+
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

GR Press has an article up: http://blog.mlive.co...uld_encirc.html

#18 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

The only thing that will happen to 62 Commerce is a loss of view to the north.

Sorry, DTS Winkelmann.

Here's a picture of the site now and 38 Commerce. Eight stories would be pretty tall for Commerce, and create some nice density.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Budgie Frisket

Budgie Frisket

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

I only hope it won't look so prison-like. The one that is opening right next to Cooley looks just awful. I couldn't believe it. The City has built such nice ramps before. They really dropped the ball on this one.

#20 GRDadof3

GRDadof3

Gigalopolis

• Global Moderators
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Just received some more info on this. I'll have to comb through it for any additional tidbits, but here is the rendering and the site plan:

Posted Image

That's one of the best looking parking ramps I've ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users