Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
- - - - -

Election for Fayetteville Mayor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#101 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

That's a good point- we have to live with him being mayor for 4 years so let's give him a chance and see what happens. Political campaigns aren't always the best indicator of what an elected official will do once in office. He may find it easier to lead from the middle instead of the extreme side that he seemed to campaign from. If the city economy starts suffering and businesses either leave or choose to locate new facilities elsewhere because of his leadership there will be presssure for him to revisit what his priorities are.

Yeah I'll give him a chance. Although he wasn't the candidate I chose and I don't like his track record on the City Council. But for better or worse he is the mayor now.

#102 OnDickson

OnDickson

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yeah I'll give him a chance. Although he wasn't the candidate I chose and I don't like his track record on the City Council. But for better or worse he is the mayor now.

I think that if people will give the guy a chance, they just might be surprised. It's no secret that there was no love lost between Jordan and Coody, but that doesn't mean that Jordan is going to abandon everything that Coody has done. So far, Jordan has reached out to several business leaders throughout the community and has put together a very solid team to lead the transition.

One of the first things you will see is a new and positive relationship develop between the Mayor's office and the Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber will take a more active role in recruiting new businesses that are in line with the Green Valley initiative and they will strive to do a better job of taking care of current local businesses. Look for former mayoral candidate Steve Clark to be named the new president of the Chamber during the next week. With these two working together, I have no concerns about Fayetteville being 'anti-development'. So far, Jordan gets a thumbs up from me (and he was not the candidate I supported in the general election).

#103 cowbreath

cowbreath

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

I didn't know if I should post this under "Fayetteville, AR" or relegate it to a coffee house topic, so I'm putting it here. It appears Jordan's mayoral tenure has started with a bang. He fired Gary Dumas, the director of operations and will replace the position with a Chief of Staff. Jordan fires Dumas

It seems a little odd. The paper has said repeated times "The individual hired will be in charge of managing all the departments currently managed directly by the mayor, except for the police and fire departments and the library." I'm thinking that was what the director of operations was doing. Maybe Jordan didn't like Dumas.

#104 zman9810

zman9810

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

I didn't know if I should post this under "Fayetteville, AR" or relegate it to a coffee house topic, so I'm putting it here. It appears Jordan's mayoral tenure has started with a bang. He fired Gary Dumas, the director of operations and will replace the position with a Chief of Staff. Jordan fires Dumas

It seems a little odd. The paper has said repeated times "The individual hired will be in charge of managing all the departments currently managed directly by the mayor, except for the police and fire departments and the library." I'm thinking that was what the director of operations was doing. Maybe Jordan didn't like Dumas.

Dumas was Coody's hire so it makes sense that Jordan would replace him with his own choice. Jordan did say that except for uppr level positions there would be little turnover among city staff. This was to be expected as part of the reorganization that Jordan camapagned on.

Edited by zman9810, 06 January 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#105 Mith242

Mith242

Gigalopolis

• Moderators
  • 18,719 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure what to think about it. Like zman said he was hired by Coody and it's natural that Jordan is going to want some of his own people in. I'm a bit curious about how all this came about. Dumas was a big proponent on certain issues and I wonder how this will affect things. But it did sound like there was a lot of money going to that position and that Jordan will be breaking things up a bit. I got the impression Jordan is getting rid of that position and will have a group of people that he tries to work with directly.