Why haven't you registered yet?

Registration is quick, easy and completely FREE! Click the Create Account button located at the top-right to sign-up and receive additional benefits that existing members are already receiving!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

• Please log in to reply
2899 replies to this topic

#2421 rugger62

rugger62

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

ridership is going to swing heavily during the 2 rush hours each day.

#2422 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

^ of course. My observation (which I was not explicit about) was that the non-rush trains feel like they have more than 84 people on them over the full 9 mile trip.

#2423 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't remember it ever breaking 19k. I think it did get into the 18k area when gas was insane back in 2008.

That's why I'm asking if they changed their methodology?

The same APTA reports from 2008 clearly show it over 22K during the gas thing and in the 19Ks in 2009.  While they show only 15.9K now.  

#2424 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Okay, I went through the PDFs from APTA, and here's what I found.

Year     Q1      Q2      Q3      Q4
2008    18.6    20.3    22.3    21.7
2009    19.7    20.2    20.0    19.5
2010    19.2    21.6    20.2    14.1
2011    14.3    15.4    15.1    14.6
2012    15.0    15.5    15.9

Looks like something changed in Q4 2010.   That's makes the Wikipedia wording (intentional or not) look pretty dumb.

Edited by grodney, 21 February 2013 - 10:24 AM.

• rugger62 likes this

#2425 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

My best guess: Prior to Q4 2010, they were taking TOTAL trips (ALL days) and dividing by # of WEEKDAYS and reporting that as the weekday number.  But starting in Q4 2010, they are taking the TOTAL trips and multiplying by 5/7, then dividing by the # of weekdays, and reporting that as the weekday number.

I hope that's not right.  But the numbers are about 5/7 of what they were.  Both those methods would be wrong, wouldn't they?

Edited by grodney, 21 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#2426 Eightane

Eightane

Crossroads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

In any case, with gas prices leaping large in the past little while, I'd expect another surge in numbers to follow. And once the many residential projects in South End open doors, there's no reason we can't surpass the prior high.

It'll be interesting to see just how many more riders-per-day they'll equate to, versus actual number of new residents. I doubt it would be at or near 100 percent, despite the LYNX's draw to the area; seeing how it's not the only reason that area's desirable.

Edited by Eightane, 21 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#2427 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

If memory serves, CATS trips are point A to point B, regardless of transfers. That means a passenger transferring from a bus is not double counted. APTA I believe does double count. IF that's correct, the APTA number is a more accurate reflection of bodies inside the train car.

#2428 carolinagarnet

carolinagarnet

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think it would be impossible to track, but it would be interesting to see the impact of Uptown surface lots being developed on Lynx ridership. Granted, there is definitely not a shortage of cheap parking Uptown or within walking distance, but there should be at least a marginal increase in ridership when entire lots are taken off the market. I'm thinking specifically of Romare Bearden and the Knights Stadium, though development in First Ward (if Levine ever cares to act on his plans) would probably have a more measurable effect.

#2429 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

argh, not Lynx service from Scaleybark to CTC will be replaced by bus service on the weekends of  Feb 23-24, March 9-10 and March 16-17 in order to complete the Poindexter grade crossing.

This is going to seriously disrupt my hockey / beer drinking schedule.....

#2430 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

The buses bridge will get you there and back. It worked great when they had the silo fall on the tracks at that exact same location a few years ago.

• dubone likes this

#2431 grodney

grodney

Hamlet

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I e-mailed APTA and they said the weekday ridership numbers come from the agency.  So apparently it was CATS that changed the reporting in Q4 2010.

It looks like before that time, they were taking total rides and dividing by weekdays.  Now they appear to be doing either A) weekday rides divided by weekdays, or B) total rides adjusted to remove weekends divided by weekdays.

Perhaps before Q4 2010 they thought they were starting with weekday rides in their calc when it was actually total rides.

#2432 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

The city has begun rezoning for the park and ride deck at JW Clay. The change will be from general business to TOD (hopefully there will be some retail in the deck).

http://mecktimes.com...nd-ride station

#2433 RVA2CLT

RVA2CLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Capacity Expansion Project (upgrades for 3 car trains) will coincide/be included with BLE?
Basically, is the new construction of the extension north already planned/budgeted for 3 car trains and will the south line will be simultaneously retro-fitted and expanded?

#2434 dubone

dubone

Metropolitan Area

• Moderators
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yes, but it's not like the BLE is happening at mach speed.  We still have 4y till it opens. 

I was hoping there would be an opportunity to get funding for additional stations to be expanded, but the world of funding for infrastructure seems very tight in the near term, so I don't think that is going to happen.

#2435 RVA2CLT

RVA2CLT

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

^^ Right, so which stations are being upgraded for 3 car capacity on the southline?
I wonder if that means that the BLE will only have a few select stations of 3 car capacity as well.

#2436 tozmervo

tozmervo

Town

• Members+
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

According to the current plans, all the BLE stations will be three car. Last I was aware, only 485, 3rd and 7th street stations are funded for lengthening on the BL.

#2437 ajfunder

ajfunder

Whistle-Stop

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have seen the plans for the CTC/Arena platform extension but whether it is funded yet I do not know.
Alex

#2438 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

My memory of the platform extending TIGER grant (for CTC, 3rd st, Stonewall and 485) was that it was originally scheduled to be completed well before the BLE. I also remember reading that the remaining platforms on the South line would be extended as part of the BLE construction.

Unfortunately I can't find the article which discussed this and there is no mention of platform extensions on the South line in the BLE construction schedule.

I did find the original application: http://charmeck.org/...oject Final.pdf

it says: construction starts June 2013, and revenue operation on June 2015.

It would make zero sense to operate most of the South line with 2 car platforms post-BLE when the remainder of the system will have three car capacity.

EDIT: Here is the 'official' CATS page for the Capacity Expansion Project: http://charmeck.org/... Expansion.aspx

it says "Design for the project is expected to begin in 2012, with construction starting in 2014."

it also says:

The Blue Line Capacity Expansion Project will incrementally provide the ability to operate three-car trains at increased frequencies. These
improvements will lengthen the existing light rail station platforms to accept three-car trains, [emphasis added]

which implies (to me) that all of the south line platforms will be extended eventually.

EDIT 2: I found a CBJ article about the capacity expansion grant from December 2011 which said:

The expanded capacity will initially be used for special events, when ridership is especially heavy, CATS says. When the expansion to UNCC is completed, three-car trains are expected to run all along the corridor.

http://www.bizjourna...t.html?page=all

Edited by kermit, 06 March 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#2439 ricky_davis_fan_21

ricky_davis_fan_21

Town

• Members+
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Any chance this sucker opens in phases? Or will the while line open at once. It seems silly not to work from uptown to UNCC and try to open one stop at a time. I'd love to buy some investment property in NoDa, to coincide with the BLE opening.

#2440 kermit

kermit

Burg

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Any chance this sucker opens in phases? Or will the while line open at once. It seems silly not to work from uptown to UNCC and try to open one stop at a time. I'd love to buy some investment property in NoDa, to coincide with the BLE opening.

Going by the construction schedule it will not be phaseable. Grading, bridging and site prep for the 7th st to Old Concord section will not be complete until June 2016 and the track contract appears to be a single unit and is not scheduled to be complete until August 2016. Stations for segment A (the 7th st-Old Concord segment) are scheduled for completion around October 2016.

Since it appears that CATS is going with a single contract for the trackwork phasing looks very unlikely at this point.

IMO the LRT premium in NoDa SFH real estate has been in place for a while. I would look in Optimist Park and Villa Heights. If you are willing to be a pioneer then the Howe Acres area is intriguing (across Sugar Creek from the NoDa warehouse district)

http://charmeck.org/...ion Summary.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users